Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2019, 23:56   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: WhatsApp and its effect on our lives

Whatsapp continues to be just an excellent international multimedia communications app for me. I persuaded a couple of people in UK to install it just so that we can keep in touch (ok, I admit this: and exchange cat pictures!).

I also continue to be a forum follower, and not to have twitter or facebook accounts. I like to be read; I like to be liked, but I don't understand how the whole share/like addiction thing happens.

I care enough about Whatsapp to really hope that Facebook don't ruin it by turning it into Facebook lite, filling with ads, or something. But I also wonder how else they are ever going to make money out of it.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 09:38   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
I like to be read; I like to be liked, but I don't understand how the whole share/like addiction thing happens.
That's exactly the mechanics of it. There was this branch of psychology that was quite in vogue in the 70s or 80s (I remember my dad having books on the subject on his desk) called Transactional Analysis. Now I don't know if it's still popular or credible, but the underlying principles still hold good I guess. Your emotional state is dependent on the quality and type of interactions with others. There was also the concept of 'strokes', positive interactions with others where you get conditional or unconditional positive feedback from them and that increases your self esteem.

A like on a social media post is a 'stroke' these days. A 'like' from a stranger or a popular online personality or someone you admire is a stronger stroke I guess. [So is the number of 'thanks' on TBhp I guess. ] So the whole structure of social media is based on some very strong psychological principles and that's why it's addictive.

[Not trying to say it's a bad thing, or that everyone will follow the same pattern, just drawing a parallel with some theories that were well regarded in their time. Perhaps some of the doctors on the forum can validate.]

Last edited by am1m : 9th April 2019 at 09:42.
am1m is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th April 2019, 12:50   #93
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by am1m View Post
That's exactly the mechanics of it. There was this branch of psychology that was quite in vogue in the 70s or 80s (I remember my dad having books on the subject on his desk) called Transactional Analysis.
Oh yes, I vaguely remember TA too. Must refresh my memory, but I seem to recall that it was one of those things that people got obsessed with back then.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2020, 15:54   #94
Senior - BHPian

Almost everyone uses WhatsApp. And almost all WhatsApp users have Telegram installed on their phones. Telegram has a few advantages over WhatsApp but has somehow not been able to capture the market.
pedrolourenco is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2020, 22:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

I absolutely hate this trend of numerous official and personal groups, just for the sake of it. I just cannot understand the need to have so many groups and all people do is send forwards from one group to the other. I managed to get out of most personal WhatsApp groups and Im just on one of them. However in the office, you cannot do that, so there are some 10 groups now, and 2-3 are just dead. Just that no one wants to get out of it. I mean, why is that mails and phone calls cannot resolve these things? Just pathetic!
motorworks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2020, 04:16   #96
BHPian

Though I'm over 40, my emotions are determined by the colour of the ticks. It's like the huge, ancient & rusted sledgehammer, hitting as heavy as a locomotive, on the softest marshmellow. It's high time we include the impact of social media on our lives as part of high school curriculum.
doxinboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2021, 05:16   #97
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
It’s been about 25 days since I deleted Facebook app from my phone and have not logged into my Facebook account from my desktop. I took this move out of sheer irritation arising from the amount of time I was wasting on it. The thing about social media is that even though you spent just 5 minutes on it at a point of time you do it throughout the day many times thereby wasting hours doing this without even realizing it.

The amount of mobile usage people indulge in these days is really scary.

I believe most of the millennials are heavily addicted to social media platforms – the worst according to me are FB/Instagram/Snapchat. I understand the view point that it is dependent on you to decide how you want to leverage the power of social media. For me, the impact of social media has been very negative, hence I have decided to reduce my social media involvement (I am only on Twitter now).

I can fully understand what you mean. I've got so much time back after dumping Whatsapp and a couple of other social media platforms.

All our handheld mobile devices (iOS) at home have Screentime limits and Downtime setup. This is highly effective even for adults. I recommend it. I don't know if Android offers a similar feature.

Let's face it. It is easy to blame the children and Millenials but boomers are offenders as well. I'm sure many have asked their parents to stop forwarding nonsense Whatsapp messages.

Sorry to go off-topic. IMHO but one of the best self-confidence boosting steps one could take is to not look for validation from online strangers for one's choices/opinions/skills/interests.

I understand from my nephews and nieces in India that their schools were using Whatsapp for communicating for online schooling. A social-media tool is used by pre-teens. I can imagine the digital awareness education would be close to zero. There are many Apps that are exclusive for online schooling purpose but I don't know about the adoption levels there.
kiku007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 22:16   #98
BHPian

The question I am about to ask is a bit off topic, but I will post here instead of starting a new thread.

The amount to junk image and photos that get saved on our phones through Whatsapp is huge. However there are family and social photos that I would like to keep. I have been looking for quite sometime now for a software application which can 'view' and sort these images by 'content'. For example, it should be able to identify memes, pure cat and flower photos, etc and sort it in a certain manner for quick and easy delete of unwanted images. It should be a Windows desktop application. Any pointers would be welcome.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks