Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2006, 12:16   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bluetooth Connectivity possible - iPod / HU / Mobile Phone

Guys,

Just thinking - if I get a bluetooth enabled HU (ex. Parrot) and then use this to give bluetooth connectivity to my iPod , I can play songs via bluetooth thru the HU.

Also since the HU is bluetooth enabled and can hold 5 connections at a time - I can even connect my mobile phone and use the HU as a bluetooth headset to make and recieve calls.

How reliable will this be ? Has anyone tried it out ? And how much should the whole thing cost - Im guessing should be done in Rs 15000 , correct ?

Comments ? Suggestions ?
Old 30th October 2006, 12:26   #2
Team-BHP Support

Do the HU's support stereo bluetooth or is it just mono?

I think your sound quality will suffer.
It will be better than a FM transmitter but still not as good direct mp3 or through the aux in.

Pioneer has 9850BT and 7850BT which are bluetooth enabled for music as well as voice.

You wont be able to control the ipod with the HU also.

It should work definitely with this.
Old 30th October 2006, 12:46   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
Guys,

Also since the HU is bluetooth enabled and can hold 5 connections at a time - I can even connect my mobile phone and use the HU as a bluetooth headset to make and recieve calls.

How reliable will this be ? Has anyone tried it out ? And how much should the whole thing cost - Im guessing should be done in Rs 15000 , correct ?

Comments ? Suggestions ?
If the question was about quality, the ranking would be as below
1. MP3 CD (Read by HU digitally)
1. IPOD through dedicated cable (Read by HU digitally) - I use this set up with my Kenwood HU KDC - X889 and KCA-IP500 cable to link to iPod. I control iPod ith HU and even charge the iPod
2. mp3 player thorugh auxillary inpur (Read by HU analog way)
3. Bluetooth streaming to HU
4. FM streaming to HU
3 & 4 depend on the streaming rate and can be in both mono and stereo.

Reliability wise, the ranking alomost remains the same provided the wiring is done in securely.

The other question is ease of usage. Let me know you want to know the ranking on that too.

In general, mobile phones are phones by characterstic and their mp3 play quality might not be as good as an iPod or your HU. Except for the ease of use I would not recommend playing / streaming music from mobile phone on a good qaulity sound system.
Old 30th October 2006, 16:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Satishfaction - I dont intend playing mp3 on my phone. I want to connect the ipod for music and the mobile phone for handsfree conversation.

Can it be done seamlessly ? No interference between the ipod and mobile phone when both are connected to the HU ?
Old 30th October 2006, 16:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Satishfaction - I dont intend playing mp3 on my phone. I want to connect the ipod for music and the mobile phone for handsfree conversation.

Can it be done seamlessly ? No interference between the ipod and mobile phone when both are connected to the HU ?
Hi, basically Bluetooth technology is based on piconets consisting of a master unit and up to seven slave units located within 10 meters of the master unit and all communication is controlled by the master unit. Bluetooth technology uses a frequency hopping algorithm with 1600 frequency hops per second.

To put simply theoretically its possiable to have a seamless and interference free connection between the ipod, mobile phone and the HU.
However the question remains whether the HU supports Audio Gateway (stereo Bluetooth)

Cheers
Old 30th October 2006, 18:02   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedonline
However the question remains whether the HU supports Audio Gateway (stereo Bluetooth)
Yep, the HU must support the A2DP bluetooth profile for streaming in stereo.

And as for connecting multiple devices to the HU at the same time, if the HU supports it, is possible. My SE Bluetooth headset can connect to both my phones at the same time. I don't know the max possible connections. I think it is 7.

@satishfaction, is that ranking based on personal experience? I'm interested to know, because I'm considering an iPod interface for my MP3 enabled HU. I don't want to trade off on sound quality for a little extra convenience. I haven't been able to find anybody here in Kochi who actually uses an iPod interface with his HU. So I haven't been able to find out if there is any loss in sound quality vis-a-vis MP3 cd playback direct from HU. The shops don't have ready stock (iPod interfaces only on spl order), so no way of trying it out either. My local Blau technician says he's heard such a setup, and that the sound quality was not so good as against MP3. But he's not exactly an an audiophile or even an audio nerd, so I dont know...
Old 31st October 2006, 12:55   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrashok

@satishfaction, is that ranking based on personal experience? I'm interested to know, because I'm considering an iPod interface for my MP3 enabled HU. I don't want to trade off on sound quality for a little extra convenience. I haven't been able to find anybody here in Kochi who actually uses an iPod interface with his HU. So I haven't been able to find out if there is any loss in sound quality vis-a-vis MP3 cd playback direct from HU. The shops don't have ready stock (iPod interfaces only on spl order), so no way of trying it out either. My local Blau technician says he's heard such a setup, and that the sound quality was not so good as against MP3. But he's not exactly an an audiophile or even an audio nerd, so I dont know...
The ranking is based on personally listening to all the possible connections.. I am not a professional grade audiophile but yes I have 4+2 channel amps and components and sub in my car. Hence the quality can be perceived very easily! The quality difference between MP3 CD in the HU and iPod via dedicated cable is practically none. It is just convenience as you can not have 15000 songs at the flick of a button and also you dont have to burn CDs all the time especially if you keep changing them on a daily basis. Also, the genres selection, playlist mode everything make very convenient with an iPod based listening. But again to re-iterate the quality is same in both!
Old 31st October 2006, 13:12   #8

Quote:

OK.. Now let us get the things straight! U want connect iPod to your HU (with dedicated cable or aux) and also want to use the HU connection as speaker for your call.
In a typical scenario, you are listening to the music (iPod or otherwise) when the call comes the system mutes / pauses and your HU acts as speaker and once the call is finished your music kicks in again..I hope I got it right..

For the above to happen you just need a compatible Car Handsfree system. For a bluetooth handsfree system you can consider http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/ck3000evolution
which seems to fit your requirement. Also, I remember readind some where that there is some one on this forum who can help you in buying that too!
Old 31st October 2006, 14:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Satishfaction - I want to connect the ipod via bluetooth to my HU and also connect my mobile phone to HU via bluetooth.

Hope its clear now.
Old 31st October 2006, 14:47   #10
BHPian

Hey,
How will you connect the ipod via bluetooth? as far as i know this isnt an in built feature, is such an attachment available? how much does it cost? Sounds like an interesting option...
Old 31st October 2006, 14:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Swale - check out my first post - I have given a link which enables the ipod to be connected via bluetooth.
Old 31st October 2006, 15:02   #12

Quote:
Satishfaction - I want to connect the ipod via bluetooth to my HU and also connect my mobile phone to HU via bluetooth.

Hope its clear now.
Oops.. sorry for the misunderstanding..
As per my knowledge of the wireless (Bluetooth Connectivity) the following needs to be done
1. You need to have a base unit which attach to car for receiving Bluetooth input from phone as well as iPOd like Parrot MK6000 (http://www.parrot.biz/usa/products/parrotmk6000)
2. You need to enable your iPod bluetooth. Logitech has a product which will make it bluetooth and this can be used at home too Logitech® Wireless Music System for iPod® (http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...S/EN,crid=2652)

This combination will solve the issue at hand.

Other experts, please help us here if there is a simpler way to do this.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 31st October 2006 at 15:11.
Old 31st October 2006, 15:06   #13
BHPian

Oops, missed the tiny link n_c , Sorry
Old 31st October 2006, 20:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satishfaction
The quality difference between MP3 CD in the HU and iPod via dedicated cable is practically none.
Aaaaaahhhhhh...Music to my ears. Thanks, buddy!
Old 2nd November 2006, 06:43   #15
Senior - BHPian

@Normallly crazy : The quality of the bluetooth connector for the ipod is pretty bad.
I used it for a month and then gave up. Most of the time there is a lag in sound even after placing the ipod 1foot awy from my bluetooth enabled speakers, bluetooth enabled laptop and bluetooth headset ....

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks