Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

I-Pod Nano not working

I have a 4GB i-pod nano. The darn thing refuses to play anything. When I connect it to my pc, the iTunes software shows that about 1 GB of the memory is used. (I do have about 1GB of music on it), but it wont display the names of the files etc, and I cannot add or remove any files. The service guys say that the memory is corrupt. Now what?
Old 2nd November 2006, 14:37   #2
BHPian

try doing a restore from itunes 7.0.1.
Old 2nd November 2006, 15:23   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Like Biker said, connect it to a PC/MAC running iTunes 7.0.2 (just out today) and try to restore to factory.
If nothing happens then call 18004250744 and find out if your iPod is under warranty. Even grey market and even unregistered iPods carry warranty. Unregistered will give them an approximate date of purchase.
If under warranty, they will give you a ticket number. Send the iPod to the Bandra service centre (66780661/2/3) with this ticket number.
If not under warranty, I am afraid this repair might be expensive.

All the best.
Old 2nd November 2006, 16:03   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerSG
try doing a restore from itunes 7.0.1.
or there is a ipod updater on the itunes cd or one can download from the net
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...r20060110.html
Old 2nd November 2006, 17:20   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble
I have a 4GB i-pod nano. The darn thing refuses to play anything. When I connect it to my pc, the iTunes software shows that about 1 GB of the memory is used. (I do have about 1GB of music on it), but it wont display the names of the files etc, and I cannot add or remove any files. The service guys say that the memory is corrupt. Now what?
If it is not under warranty, you can contact this person since you are in Mumbai too...

Quote:
Want to Repair your iPod? Anyone?

iPod owners take heart! A man from 'aamchee Mumbai' claims to be able to repair all Apple iPods...

And, what's more, the man, one Harjeet Arora, owner of "Gadget Boy", a store at the Inorbit Mall, claims to be the only person in the country to be able to do so...

But, what led Arora into a job like repairing iPods? Arora, who sells iPods and MP3 players at his store, says he was getting so many customers coming back to him with complaints about their iPods not working, who were then going ahead and buying new iPods that he felt the need to venture into this territory.

And, that's not all Arora reveals, he endeavored, and got to learn the 'true' technique of assembling and repairing iPods from a Canada-based manufacturer of replacement batteries.

In Arora's words, "Carrying out repairs of iPods is a very difficult task. iPods, by virtue, contain numerous hair-thin wires, circuit boards, and strips, and any mistake during opening them could cause irreparable damage."

So committed is Arora to the task at hand that he has actually created a small dust-free studio within his apartment, where he sits and repairs the worn-out iPods.

Amazingly, Arora has been repairing iPods for the past two months almost. He says that in the beginning, no one was ready to even believe that an iPod could be repaired, but that now it's a different scene altogether, what with him repairing nearly 5 to 10 iPods everyday.

Further, Arora's keen sense of enterprise has led him to start an alternative practice; that of exchanging non functional iPods for new ones, after deducting the amount from the price of the new iPod, or returning an amount of Rs 1,500 to the customer.

No wonder, Arora is in top form He says, not only does he repair iPods but that he has started repairs of gizmos such as Palmphone's Treo 650 and the PlayStation Portable (PSP), with the very near possibility of taking on repairs of Microsoft's Xbox 360.

And, while the man is full of praise for Apple Computer and the impeccable quality of its iPods, he does not hesitate to disclose an interesting detail. He says that recently, some people from Apple came visiting his shop, trying to dissuade him from advertising his services. He adds with a distinct air of secrecy that he later got an anonymous call asking him to explain how he goes about repairing iPods...
Old 2nd November 2006, 17:20   #6

Quote:
I presume that you have tried soft reset couple of times (Holding on Menu+Centre Button till the apple logo comes up). I do it whenever my Car HU refuses to recognise my iPod. It might be basic and I am voicing it out, incase!
Old 3rd November 2006, 10:03   #7
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine had a similar trouble I think. He got a replacement on the spot. Unfortunately it was still the old nano. :P
Old 8th November 2006, 23:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi
Like Biker said, connect it to a PC/MAC running iTunes 7.0.2 (just out today) and try to restore to factory.
If nothing happens then call 18004250744 and find out if your iPod is under warranty. Even grey market and even unregistered iPods carry warranty. Unregistered will give them an approximate date of purchase.
If under warranty, they will give you a ticket number. Send the iPod to the Bandra service centre (66780661/2/3) with this ticket number.
If not under warranty, I am afraid this repair might be expensive.

All the best.
Oh wow Sam, I didn't know that grey iPods have a warranty too. Actually mine isn't grey, but equivalent since I bought it abroad. Good show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker
or there is a ipod updater on the itunes cd or one can download from the net
http://www.apple.com/support/downloa...r20060110.html
I think I'll try this first once I get it back from the rather unauthorised service center I have given it to. Very strange fellas out there. They are keeping it on the pretext that they will try and replace my memory with some other iPod that comes in for service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker
If it is not under warranty, you can contact this person since you are in Mumbai too...
I think I'll try all my free options first!
Old 11th November 2006, 23:02   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yo LBM! Full rocking!

Updated the nano with the software in your link, and presto, the damn thing started showing all the data again.

Big Thank You!

P.S. Do you think it could be because my girlfriend takes out the iPod without ejecting it first on iTunes?
Old 11th November 2006, 23:09   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, there's your answer B&T. As with all apple products, one must eject from the software first before you physically remove from USB.
Old 12th November 2006, 00:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
P.S. Do you think it could be because my girlfriend takes out the iPod without ejecting it first on iTunes?
Happy to see that your nano is working fine....

Ya this might be the culprit or it can be will tranfer of data then the chance gets even more...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks