Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2006, 20:26   #1
BHPian

I bought an Onida Oxygen 29 and was totally disappointed. THIS PARTICULAR MODEL HAS A VERTICAL LINE WHEN CONNECTED TO DVD PLAYER OR ANY AV CONNECTION. WHEN REFERRED TO THE SERVICE, THE ENGINEER TOLD US COOLY THAT THIS PROBLEM IS THERE IN ALL OXYGEN MODELS AND THERE IS NO SOLUTION AND I HAVE TO LIVCE WITH IT.

I ESCALATED TO THE ONIDA SERVICE HEAD AND HE ALSO SAID ITS THERE IN ALL MODELS AND THERE IS NO FIX FOR LAST ONE YEAR.

ONIDA IS ONLY TRUTH, AND THE TRUTH IS ITS CRAP.

i am taking this to consumer forum. anyone has this model pls contact your region consumer forum. Here is a copy of the petition filled in Consumer Forum:

Respected Sir,
Subject : Deficiency in service – Onida Oxygen 29 Colour Television
I am a member of the Ambattur Consumer Association and have recently moved to a rented accommodation at ***********.

I had purchased an Onida Oxygen 29 colour T.V. on Wednesday, 28 June, 2006 paying INR 16,500 from Vasanth & Co, 113, Kutchery Road, Mylapore, Chennai - 600 004. I am herewith enclosing the photocopy of the cash bill (the bill includes the price of the television and Kenstar Microwave oven). This Onida T.V carries a warranty period for 1 year and an extended warranty for 2 more years.

I recently purchased a Philips DVD player and connected the DVD player to my Onida T.V to watch movies. One of the main features of this television and the main reason for me purchasing this model was the availability of a dedicated component connection for DVD players which provide life-like picture quality. To my utter disappointment, I noticed a vertical black line towards the left side of the screen which actually defaces full picture quality of the screen. First, I thought it’s a problem with my power supply, so I connected the DVD player to my Aiwa T.V, which worked perfectly well. Immediately, I called the Onida service center at Thiruvanmiyur and reported the deficiency in the product. The complaint number is 06101166380550 dated Thursday, 12 October 2006. I have enclosed a photocopy of the Job Sheet with this letter.

The service engineer, Shri. Vishnu Varadhan, visited my house on Saturday, 14 October 2006. After verifying the vertical line, informed me that this vertical line is a prevailing defect in this particular model (Oxygen 29 Colour T.V) of Onida and the service center itself has already reported this deficiency to the Onida manufacturers and they have not cared to take any action either to rectify or suggest further course of action to the service center itself. He left without rectifying the problem in the T.V. I have enclosed a photocopy of the Job Sheet where I have clearly written this defect and indicated that I am not satisfied with the service.
I became mentally very much upset and in a desperate move I called the Group Leader of Onida service, Shri. Chandrasekaran, who also informed me that this particular line prevails in Oxygen 29 model of Onida colour television and further very sarcastically remarked that I bought an economy model unlike the premium models of Sony and this is something I can live with. Still not losing faith, I spoke to the Branch Manager for Onida service, Shri. Vishveshwaran, who only confirmed that the problem cannot be resolved and will try if it can be reduced. But till today, I have not heard from him.

I really felt sorry for having purchased this Onida T.V. which gives me lot of mental agony and my neighbors rebuking me for having gone for Onida T.V.

Since this is not a report on a single piece, I also request the Consumer Grievances Redressal forum to escalate this to Onida manufacturers – MIRC Electronics Ltd, North Phase - 27, Developed Plot, Ekkaduthangal, Guindy Industrial Estate, Chennai 600032 and pass orders to stop sales of Onida Oxygen 29 colour T.V. until such time the company has rectified the defect. Selling this model with a known defect not only ridicules Indian consumers but also defrays the brand which claims, Onida – Nothing but the Truth.

As a member of Ambattur consumer association, I request you to move this complaint to the Consumer Grievances Redressal forum and get me justice towards my mental agony, strain and stress by claiming the cost of the machine plus the cost of the case and a public applogy from Ondia to its consumers.
Old 7th November 2006, 11:26   #2
BHPian

Folks,
Just got a call from Onida, they have offered to replace the TV with a new Model provided I drop the case...

Waddya guys say?

Cheers!
Old 7th November 2006, 11:33   #3
Team-BHP Support

Since they are willing to make good your problem, dont pursue the case. Anyways, Onida will tell the court that they offered you to replace your model with a new one.
If you dont want onida, you can ask for a full refund too.
Old 7th November 2006, 11:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

We have an Onida 29" Oxygen Thunder too, bought last month. Also have a Philips DVD player. Both work fine.. There is no obvious vertical line anywhere on the screen. Can you please tell me where exactly you observe this so I can check again and verify?
Old 7th November 2006, 12:00   #5
Senior - BHPian

Ram - It would be best for you to either get a new TV or a full refund. Pursuing the case won't get you too much more. Plus it'll be time consuming.
Old 7th November 2006, 12:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
We have an Onida 29" Oxygen Thunder too, bought last month. Also have a Philips DVD player. Both work fine.. There is no obvious vertical line anywhere on the screen. Can you please tell me where exactly you observe this so I can check again and verify?
Sajo,
There is a black line (one pixel width). Its after lets says 2 inches from the left side of the TV. This is not visible with bright colours. If its not there in yours be happy.

Its here in Oxygen 29 300W models. May be thunder has a different circuit.

To all: Spoke to Onida guys and asked them to give in writing they will replace wiht a new TV as the service engineer called me and said, they will bring a new TV home change the circuit from the new TV and put in my TV...but the cabinet and everything will be same...I dont know what kind of rip off is that....

So told him very clearly, reply in writing to my complaint then I will take it forward...i dont want to act what they said on Phone.

Regards,
Ram

Cheers!
Ram

Last edited by madbullram : 7th November 2006 at 12:17.
Old 7th November 2006, 12:21   #7
BHPian

i never had a problem with onida tvs and service over the last 2 decades+ so i suggest u take the replacement.

but if u r not happy u could go for a refund. once u loose the faith in a product u cant get over it.
Old 7th November 2006, 12:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

I suggest take a Refund, and buy a Sony / Panasonic / Sharp / Samsung TV....!
Old 7th November 2006, 13:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

madbullram, i'd say take it to them. pursue the case & see what happens. May be you could end up getting a 53 inch LCD in the bargain. If you do take the trouble to pursue this case, Onida stands to lose a lot. They are just pretending to be losing by offering you a new TV. I would have appreciated if they had done this before you went to court. Since they wanted to test you, i'd say you test them now & see what happens, now that you got them by their *****. Even if you choose not to, get a full refund. Onida TV sucks.
Old 7th November 2006, 14:01   #10
BHPian

Another twist, The group Leader called up and said, as a goodwill they will change the Circuit in my TV it means...

WOW ...goodwill for a manufacturing defect.

2Fast: Even I am a loyal Onida customer. Regular service is fine wiht Onida but the fact this problem has been there for 3 months and the company has been selling the product without fixing makes me think what kind of company it is...that too with a tag "Onida - Nothing but the truth"
Old 7th November 2006, 14:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hi Ram, I double checked and havent discovered a black line on my TV yet (touch wood). My neighbour also has a Onida 29" , and has connected a Hathway Digital set top box to his. I dont see one on his TV too. Does it develop slowly with use or is there from the beginning?
Old 7th November 2006, 15:32   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
Hi Ram, I double checked and havent discovered a black line on my TV yet (touch wood). My neighbour also has a Onida 29" , and has connected a Hathway Digital set top box to his. I dont see one on his TV too. Does it develop slowly with use or is there from the beginning?
have you checked by connecting your DVD player through the component inputs. i think madbullram has an issue specific to that.
Old 7th November 2006, 15:35   #13
BHPian

Sajo: The service engineer said this is common in Onida Oxygen 29 300W model manufactured this year due to circuit being faulty. I saw this even in the showroom.

Again, this line appers only when you connect to AV or DVD component input. Will try to post a pic, if you dont see it...I am really happy for you mate (touching wood)
Old 27th November 2006, 21:29   #14
BHPian

Finally, its nearing an end, after moving to COnsumer Forum and threatning to goto Media...the Zonal Mnager spoke to me and even he says its true there is a defect with this particular model of Oxygen Onida. Since its too minor and people hardly notice it they didnt give to much thoughttttttttttt

Now they have promised to replace it with another 29 inch which does not have this problem.

Guys...be aware of Onida TVs
Old 29th November 2006, 17:42   #15
Senior - BHPian

Now that you have them on the mat, why dont you ask them for a full refund, instead of a replacement ?

Most Viewed