Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2017, 15:32   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good online magazine reader - The 'kindle' of magazines?

Am a lover of books as well as long-form business articles. The former is easily taken care of by Kindle (I buy anywhere between 12 - 18 books a year from there). For long-form articles, there are a lot of sources online like this & this. I've even created my own Google Custom Search Engine that searches through only a handful of specified websites (including the NYTimes.com).

Now, some business magazines like Fortune, Forbes, Businessweek etc. are still churning out awesome material, but for print only. What's the best way to read them on your computer / smartphone? There are some websites like magzter.com that supposedly bring magazines online, but they are doing an incredibly shoddy job. Reading on Magzter is like reading a PDF version of the print magazine. It's nothing like the user-friendly interface of Kindle that all of us love.

Is there any option / website / software / app I'm missing? Please don't suggest paper magazines as they're too inconvenient to carry around and I just hate paper.

Thanks in advance!
Old 18th July 2017, 16:20   #2
Senior - BHPian

I use Magzter app in my android.

Went ahead with their Gold subscription for ₹ 1000. Gives me unlimited access to a variety of magazines including automotive ones and can share the subscription with 4 people. Few magazines are not covered in Gold subscription (Auto Car, National Geographic Traveller International Edition etc to name a few) and we need to pay separately.

GTO, all the 3 magazines you listed are available under Gold subscription. I haven't accessed Magzter on PC. Their app UI needs improvement and there are ads. For just ₹ 1000 an year, I shouldn't be complaining

Last edited by Klub Class : 18th July 2017 at 16:23.
Old 18th July 2017, 17:12   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Good online magazine reader - The 'kindle' of magazines?

I used to be a gold subscriber on Magzter. Overall experience was good.

Last year slowly they started removing few magazines that I used to read from Gold package, so check before you subscribe. Another issue was the magazines takes up too much space, if you store the magazines for travelling, in Android tablet there is no option to store data in SD card, internal memory fills up in no time.
Old 18th July 2017, 17:32   #4
BHPian

I use the infamous Jiomags. I kind of like the interface but it aint a Kindle. By the way for Prime subscription (Rs.99) its free for a year. I am not complaining. I get all the auto mags for free !
Old 19th July 2017, 02:38   #5
BANNED

I have tried using a Smartphone/ Computer time and again and failed.

You absolutely need a a Tablet or at least a large touchscreen computer to read a magazine best. and the most important thing that decides your experience is the Display you're watching it on, since the colors and the sharpness are way more important than a Text only novel.

I have read everything from a pdf magazine to full apps for magazine on everything from a 5K tablet to a 50k one. If you have a touchscreen windows pc, that could work too, but just not as smooth.

If you want to get the best device for such use, get a tablet with at least a 1080p screen and at least 8 inches size. Any smaller and the experience is no good(too much scrolling). An android tab would be cheap to find with such specs. If money no bar, the iPad pro is the thing to get. The smaller one is more practical, you could easily take it around, but the ultimate experience would be on the big 12.9 inch model. You can really see some magazines properly in 2 page view which is really something.

To get the magazines, I am totally on JioMags now, used to buy hard copies not too long ago. That's how good and simple the app is.
Old 19th July 2017, 17:29   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys!

Have used Magzter, but their interface leaves a lot to be desired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharanidharang View Post
I use the infamous Jiomags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
To get the magazines, I am totally on JioMags now
Will check out JioMags. Thank you.
Old 19th July 2017, 17:38   #7
BHPian

You can try Zinio , this similar to Magzter but the interface is much better . Most of magazine reader apps work well with tablet and i would suggest iPad or any other tablet to use these apps , they render well in big screen compared to small smartphone screens
Old 19th July 2017, 18:56   #8
Senior - BHPian

I've used Readly app on Android as a free user for a shortwhile. Liked the interface. I haven't used it long enough to give a comprehensive review but I liked using it while I did. Worth giving it a shot. https://in.readly.com/products/magazines/in
Old 19th July 2017, 19:14   #9
Team-BHP Support

I have this app called issuu on my phone (https://issuu.com); the library is pretty huge.
Old 20th July 2017, 22:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I used to be a gold subscriber on Magzter. Overall experience was good.

Last year slowly they started removing few magazines that I used to read from Gold package, so check before you subscribe. Another issue was the magazines takes up too much space, if you store the magazines for travelling, in Android tablet there is no option to store data in SD card, internal memory fills up in no time.
How does one save a Magzter magazine onto a pendrive?
Old 26th March 2020, 14:06   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Almost 3 years up now. Is there any better solution? Or have Magzter etc. improved their UI enough? Need my fix of business magazines.

Thanks!
Old 26th March 2020, 14:40   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Almost 3 years up now. Is there any better solution? Or have Magzter etc. improved their UI enough? Need my fix of business magazines.

Thanks!
I'm still using Magzter (Gold Edition). I'm quite happy with it or may be got used to its interface (using it in iPad). Anyway it is far better than JioMags
kozhissery is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed