Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2006, 16:30   #1

3g/edge

Is AIRTEL or Hutch or any other provider offering this in india?...reason i am asking is because i asked one of the reps at a Hutch showroom and they have no clue about either...Airtel Online right now is fine, but its only bearable with not pics displaying...if i want to look at pictures, it becomes too slow :(. I just bought an N73 recently and i would like to take advantage of it fully if 3G/EDGE is available.
Old 4th December 2006, 17:23   #2
Senior - BHPian

Airtel and Hutch (and other providers like IDEA) do offer EDGE. But the EDGE they offer is a pared down EDGE, and is not as fast as the EDGE dataspeeds that other countries enjoy.

3G isn't in India yet. Maybe by September-October 2007... (Keeping fingers crossed).
Old 4th December 2006, 17:33   #3
Senior - BHPian

you use the 5rs per day airtel online thing? Airtel is faster in big cities/towns and I think thers a thread abt this somewhere here at tbhp
Old 4th December 2006, 17:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Unlike 3G and GPRS, there is no visual differentiation on your handset between EDGE coverage and GPRS coverage - with the result that you do not know which packet data bearer you're using in an EDGE enabled network. Therefore speeds may seem lower because you're using plain GPRS and not EDGE.

With 3G however you will see a 'U' (UMTS) legend on your phone when the bearer service is 3G.

You however have no choice with no 3G coverage in India. Go for Hutch or Airtel and pray that you're living on the EDGE...
Old 4th December 2006, 19:28   #5
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Airtel and Hutch both offer EDGE (eGPRS), speeds are decent too try downloading something on the fone u will see decent speeds. Also signal strenght and location also matters while using GPRS/EDGE.
Old 4th December 2006, 23:51   #6
BHPian

Even I hope 3G comes to India soon.. !..
As of now,I think AirTel EDGE is fastest and best mobile internet service provider in India..I use Hutch,and speeds aren't as fast..

-sr
Old 5th December 2006, 21:14   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Airtel and Hutch both offer EDGE (eGPRS), speeds are decent too try downloading something on the fone u will see decent speeds. Also signal strenght and location also matters while using GPRS/EDGE.
This is very relative, i think the speed is good for nothing except light email and IM. I have been using it since they started, mostly for the Email/IM. ISPs (both mobile and otherwise) have been screwing people with crappy throughput ever since they started.

Hardly ever is the rated connection living upto the speed it should. Airtel i must say is really close with their dsl service but the GPRS is just sad and not worth the exhorbitant rate. Problem is the consumer has no choice, i cant get a GPRS connection from anyone else except my mobile service provider and since i need it, i have to live with it. I think its safe to say that whenever 3G gets here, it will be crap too as far as throughput is concerned.

cheers.
Old 6th December 2006, 10:35   #8
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Yep ankur totally agree its definatly not comparable to the "claimed" throughput also i've noticed many a times that hutch infact uses SIFY broadband for GPRS, whenever i connect to IRC or SSH via EDGE the address is always SIFY.
Old 7th December 2006, 21:01   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankur View Post
This is very relative, i think the speed is good for nothing except light email and IM. I have been using it since they started, mostly for the Email/IM. ISPs (both mobile and otherwise) have been screwing people with crappy throughput ever since they started.

Hardly ever is the rated connection living upto the speed it should. Airtel i must say is really close with their dsl service but the GPRS is just sad and not worth the exhorbitant rate. Problem is the consumer has no choice, i cant get a GPRS connection from anyone else except my mobile service provider and since i need it, i have to live with it. I think its safe to say that whenever 3G gets here, it will be crap too as far as throughput is concerned.

cheers.
like i said its bearable, but not really that great in the end. You would think that india would have implemented 3G by now...hell the US has 3G and the US is traditionally behind when it comes to mobile/wireless infrastructure. In your opinion which is better for GPRS, hutch or airtel? if its hutch i am willing to get a seperate Hutch sim just for that. how fast is EDGE supposed to be? and how fast is it really here in the major cities?
Old 8th December 2006, 17:44   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Yep ankur totally agree its definatly not comparable to the "claimed" throughput also i've noticed many a times that hutch infact uses SIFY broadband for GPRS, whenever i connect to IRC or SSH via EDGE the address is always SIFY.
Hehe even though it sucks, it wont stop me from putting a gprs connection in my carpc .

cheers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks