Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th October 2018, 11:22   #16
BHPian

re: Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
When I renewed my annual subscription for Tata Sky, it included the entire package. Will they issue refunds to customers?
I've renewed for an entire package annual subscription too + HD channels.

Have called up the Customer care couple of times to deduct prorata charges and refund the balance. They've clearly denied!

Cheers,
Amey Kulkarni
Old 11th October 2018, 11:32   #17
BHPian

I think it will just give a push to the shift from DTH to streaming as it gives more control over when you want to watch. I am a tatasky customer and I have not recharged it for last 6 months and just use Netflix, Prime, Hotstar, Sony liv for entertainment and live broadcast for sports.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:25   #18
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Sky terminates Sony channels over pricing dispute. EDIT: Dispute resolved

I am surprised Tata Sky is acting so pricey in today's world where people can continue conveniently without any DTH provider. And also with the expected (?) launch of competing services by Jio.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FURY_44 View Post
My question is how will Tata Sky subscribers know about this ad??
It reminds me of an incident where our IT department had sent out an email stating 'email server is not working'
we saw it when it started working again!

Jokes apart, I guess they would put up these ads on other (non competing) channels also which would be visible to tata sky subscribers.
And of course by word of mouth through subscribers of other DTH services.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:42   #19
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.... Sony Le Plex is one of my favourite movie channels. When I renewed my annual subscription for Tata Sky, it included the entire package. Will they issue refunds to customers? I don't think so.
Same story. Our entire subscription is pretty much for a handful of channels but the whole circus around picking channels sadistically put into absurdly expensive combinations means it's easier to just pay for the whole thing. The better half being a screenwriter and dedicated film buff is incensed at having her favorite movie channel taken away.

In the entire 'reactivate channels by giving a missed call' nonsense, they're conveniently avoiding addressing channels that are now missing entirely. AXN HD (#213) & Sony Le Plex HD (#384) are just two examples of channels now completely off the platform with no option to reactivate. Customer care has steadfastly refused to address this concern, continuing to parrot their corporate-fed lines.

Their pricing argument is hogwash. They're already absurdly expensive (their HD subscription costs ~4.4k for 6 months). I'm writing to their nodal officer this weekend demanding a pro-rated refund.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th October 2018 at 12:49.
Old 11th October 2018, 13:15   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amey Kulkarni View Post
Have called up the Customer care couple of times to deduct prorata charges and refund the balance. They've clearly denied!
Post my several calls to Tata Sky and escalations of matter to what not; I finally get a call during lunch today (+40 extension) saying are you interested in disconnecting the subscription?

I was surprised and asked them to correct the question and tell me when are they getting Sony Channels back? I have no intentions to disconnect if you say you'll be sorted within a month. They have no clue.

But the good thing is they are ready to refund the amount post deduction of charges prorata.

I've told them that I'll observe the situation till this month end and take a call post that.

Cheers,
Amey
Old 17th October 2018, 16:16   #21
BHPian

Re: The Tata Sky Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I just renewed my TataSky subscription, and I'm furious with how they're handling this nonsense.

Putting aside the 'missed call to resume services' idiocy with a handful of channels, some channels are just gone, AXN HD (#213) and Sony Le Plex HD (#384) to name just two of the favorites in my household.

Airtel had a similar issue with Star channels last year that took a while to resolve. Am I glad I told off the idiot who called me about my 'privilege' to renew my package for two years at a discount, told him I don't trust you guys enough to be held hostage for that long.

I'm off when my 6-month subscription expires. My needs are met by online streaming subscriptions.

P.S. Their pricing argument is hogwash. They're already absurdly expensive at~4.5k INR for a 6-month all-in HD subscription.
+1. Tata Sky is a only getting expensive over the years. We subscribed to Tata Sky in 2015 and I remember we paid 6,300 for the whole year (i.e the annual subscription) which included all the channels and free showcase movies. An year later, the same package was hiked to ~ 9,000 rupees. A hike of almost three thousand rupees was too much. But we still went ahead for the quality service and the likes. The following year's package hiked by another 2k and we decided to eliminate the ones which we don't need. We paid for the rest of channels for a whole year. Now, for this year though, Tata Sky gave us a special offer on our existing package that if we paid for 18-months, we'd be getting the package for 24-montns (6-months free).

We immediately paid after a quick math of what's the expenditure and the savings (which was still expensive than the existing package but was way lesser than one-year package). A day later, the Sony channels (which we watch for most of the time) don't come in and now we're held hostage for the rest two years with no HD Channels at our disposal (for which we paid). Hope this message is sorted out soon.

What makes me laugh is Tata Sky blatantly answering to the users that this is in interest of keeping the costs low. If you look at my case, the package costs were on a good rise with each passing year.
Old 17th October 2018, 21:41   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by somspaple View Post
To add - if you don't want to call for every channel [numbers are different for each channel] you can call Customer Care and ask them to activate all channels.

CC said it is not an issue from Tata Sky and Sony has increased prices- my point was I'm paying Tata Sky for service[annual pack which includes all channels] not Sony - and I asked him to take feedback that if it continues like this we'll file a case in Consumer Court.

And based on the conversation I had looks like the process of missed call/CC contact would have to be repeated every month as the service resets after a month.
Funny thing happened today:
I'm in my hometown today and we've Tata Sky connection here as well. Package includes mostly news and regional channels. Since all Sony channels have a banner about giving missed call and activate the channel at no Extra Cost - Dad tried to activate one of the Sony Ten channels only to receive a message to pay Rs. 60/- and activate. This infuriated my Dad and he immediately called Customer Care and blasted them for misguiding the subscriber that the channel is available for Free and later asking the user the make payment! The poor CC soul transferred the call to his supervisor after failing to give convincing answer and even the supervisor tried to explain that the channel is not part of the package - but Dad said then why do you display the false message - ultimately he said that somebody from back-end team is going to call.
Old 17th October 2018, 22:27   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... ultimately he said that somebody from back-end team is going to call.
If a decade's experience with them is any indication, you should take that to mean someone will talk out of their back-end if/when they call you.
Old 17th October 2018, 23:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
If a decade's experience with them is any indication, you should take that to mean someone will talk out of their back-end if/when they call you.
We couldn't care less for their call back. In this case their blanket message asking missed call to start a service for all Sony channels irrespective of whether you've subscribed to it or not is ill implemented.

Last edited by somspaple : 17th October 2018 at 23:25.
Old 17th October 2018, 23:36   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
... In this case their blanket message asking missed call to start a service for all Sony channels irrespective of whether you've subscribed to it or not is ill implemented.
They aren't treating paid subscribers any better. I renewed literally a couple day before this drama started, and they've got nothing useful to say.
Old 18th October 2018, 01:09   #26
BHPian

Someone should drag them to court. The whole USP of the yearly mega pack is that you're protected against price hikes and are guaranteed uninterrupted service. This is BS. Not something we expect from the Tata group. The only reason a lot of people including me chose Tata was because they were supposed to be an ethical company. Clearly they're not what we thought of them.
Old 18th October 2018, 04:56   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKap View Post
Someone should drag them to court.
This is exactly why they do what they do. Everyone waits for "someone" to take them to court.

But no one will. Given the costs and time involved most will feel it's just not worth it.

The maximum Tata's and Flipkarts have to do is employ CC guys to put up with some calls and infuriated customers.
Old 18th October 2018, 06:13   #28
BANNED

If some one here is a lawyer and few people can get together I am willing to be part of team to take Tata to court .
Old 18th October 2018, 15:58   #29
BANNED

I was bombarded with calls after I moved back to the most basic monthly plan from long term all channels plan. The funniest explanation I got from them was they just removed those Sony channels that people don't watch .

I simply told him it is my money and if I get another call I would disconnect Tata sky completely. That seems working till now.
No wonder, Netflix and Amazon video is gaining such popularity within such small span of time. If the DTH companies would behave like this, it will be a matter of time before they shall be packing bags.

Last edited by PetrolRider : 18th October 2018 at 15:59.
Old 21st October 2018, 08:28   #30
Team-BHP Support

I need to renew my Tata Sky biennial plan end of the month.

I just did a comparison with Airtel and the Airtel Inifinity HD plan is 2K cheaper than Tata Sky per year even if I pay Tatasky a lump sum for 2 years and Airtel only annually, Airtel is cheaper.

They also have a lot of offers for new connection as well as cashbacks when recharging.

Seriously contemplating if I should break my 11 year relationship with Tatasky.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks