Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th January 2007, 12:30   #1
BHPian

DVD Player - Harddisk to Progressive directly!!

There is a DVD player by Philips (DVP5965K/98) that costs 6k that plays DivX straight from a USB drive. And it has HDMi and all sorts of outs.

It is a good news for people like me who has been struggling to get DivX out through VGA on my PC to a VGA-component convertor and get progressive scan on TVs that do not have VGA in. (What I have is the EUR standard SCART)

Now I dont need a comp and extra wires around my living room. Make this player the main unit, hook my 500gig external HDD via USB, and directly play the files through my component in upto 720p. Whoa!

I am getting all my HDD gear and heading for the Philps showroom. Meanwhile, has anyone checked this out? (If it really works?)
Old 26th January 2007, 13:57   #2
Senior - BHPian

are you sure the usb socket in the DVD player will support that kind of operation ? i have my doubts. but if it does, then it will be pretty useful for me too
Old 26th January 2007, 18:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

A friend of mine has one of these DVD players with the USB socket and it works fine with Pen Drives....Never tried a HDD.....Iv got a DVD player that plays divx cds nd it works well too....its really convinent considering most movies on the net are in divx format and you can fit around 6 divx movies onto a single dvd
Old 26th January 2007, 19:54   #4

I have one of these. The model number is DVP5965K. The cost was about 5.5K when I purchased it 4 months back. The manual says it suports USB 1.1 and can read the following devices ( flash, card readers, portable hdd and mp3 players) and formats ( jpeg/mp3/wma/DivX). It also supports HDMI but no cable provided.

Hope this helps.
Old 26th January 2007, 20:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejika View Post
I have one of these. The model number is DVP5965K. The cost was about 5.5K when I purchased it 4 months back. The manual says it suports USB 1.1 and can read the following devices ( flash, card readers, portable hdd and mp3 players) and formats ( jpeg/mp3/wma/DivX). It also supports HDMI but no cable provided.

Hope this helps.
It says above portable hdd, so that means only 2.5" Laptop hardisk . I've a 80gb 3.5" .

Determinus,

Can you let us know if the player was able to play files off from your hdd ( i assume its 3.5" ) .
Old 26th January 2007, 23:15   #6
BHPian

Couldnt go to the shop. But a friend did. And from his excited phone call from the shop I figure out that it works! He hooked his 300gig Seagate 3.5" with external power supply and tried out some 1440x1080 divx videos on an LCD via HDMI and a 25" Matchline via components. According to him, it works perfectly. No flickering. Of course, flash drives worked as advertised. I need to check this out ASAP.

@rejika, are you sure it is 1.1? Have you tried progressive scan with the player? Also may be this one probably is an upgraded version, coz it has a /98 appended to the model number.
Old 27th January 2007, 00:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

A bit off topic but is there a player that can play XVid and DivX both ?
Old 27th January 2007, 12:09   #8
Senior - BHPian

How much time does the player take to scan the HD and produce the list?
i am going to ditch my current philips divx player for this one. currently i have to burn the downloaded stuff to dvds and the play to see it on the TV. this will put everything to bin!. determinus, please send your trial report please!
Old 27th January 2007, 12:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
A bit off topic but is there a player that can play XVid and DivX both ?
yes, I helped a friend of mine purchase a TCL model which supports XViD as well. The best this is that it supports subtitles too. Though it doesn't have a USB in. That would have made it perfect.
Old 27th January 2007, 13:18   #10
BHPian

this player does NOT support xvid.. a pity.. but its awesome none-the-less
Old 27th January 2007, 14:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

I looked at the Philips, LG and Packard Bell hard-disk and usb-capable players, and then plonked for THIS one which is a whole lot cheaper and does all the above:

:: Welcome to Argosy Research Inc. ::

They've also got this DVD player which has a POP-OUT hard disc compartment so that you can keep exchanging hard disks if you run out of capacity on ONE HD. Now this is almost INFINITE capacity:

:: Welcome to Argosy Research Inc. ::

Last edited by Steeroid : 27th January 2007 at 14:24.
Old 27th January 2007, 18:37   #12

@rejika, are you sure it is 1.1? Have you tried progressive scan with the player? Also may be this one probably is an upgraded version, coz it has a /98 appended to the model number.

Yes, USB 1.1 , thats what the manual says. I dont use it for watching movies..its my audio player :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks