Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2007, 04:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

remote control on desktop

while i am doing my research, thought it will be a good idea to post it here as well.

i have a laptop with XP home (so no desktop remote), wired to a router, and another one connected to same router wirelesly.

All I want to do is control the first laptop with my second one (only WMplayer), since the first one is my central computing station with all music, videos etc, and will be hooked up to the TV, in the other room. earlier i thought of getting a bluetooth mouse, but exploring this option, since the wirless laptop is always on (official work) and almost always beside me.

anywaybody aware of any freeware which could let me do this?
Old 2nd February 2007, 06:11   #2
BHPian

Hi why only WMplayer?...you can control whole operating system with the help of realvnc. Its free and fast.
Old 2nd February 2007, 07:53   #3
BHPian

If you are using XP, go to Help and support Center --> invite a friend to your computer with remote assitance.

You don't need any third party software.
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:17   #4
BHPian

It possiable to install remote desktop on win xp Home (I am using it)

However the other options are:

1. you can also search for software call winVNC i think its a freeware.
2. using a bluetooth remote, i have that software if you want it, its in java, and has a very small footprint. (PM me if you want the software)
Old 2nd February 2007, 11:28   #5
Team-BHP Support

Instead of Real/win VNC use TightVNC since it also supports file transfer. Install the server application on the computer you want to access remotely and access the server using VNC client. You will need the IP address of the remote computer to access and also ensure that VNC is running as a service. Also ensure that the router permits access to the port on which the remote computer is being accessed.
Old 2nd February 2007, 13:04   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Instead of Real/win VNC use TightVNC since it also supports file transfer. Install the server application on the computer you want to access remotely and access the server using VNC client. You will need the IP address of the remote computer to access and also ensure that VNC is running as a service. Also ensure that the router permits access to the port on which the remote computer is being accessed.
@moralfibre i dont think file transfer is an issue as he is connecting to a lan. I belive the only issue here is that he want to house/play all his music from/on the desktop.
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

thanks guys,

windows messenger seems to be failing because of zonealarm. wil try tinkering with it in eve after work.

i may use vnc if i can figure out how to restrict it to LAN. it opens a port only secured by an 8 character password.

@speedo.. the software you mentioned, is it on J2ME? i have bluetooth phones that can accept java apps. bluetooth for the pocket pc is screwed up.
Old 2nd February 2007, 17:56   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
thanks guys,

windows messenger seems to be failing because of zonealarm. wil try tinkering with it in eve after work.

i may use vnc if i can figure out how to restrict it to LAN. it opens a port only secured by an 8 character password.

@speedo.. the software you mentioned, is it on J2ME? i have bluetooth phones that can accept java apps. bluetooth for the pocket pc is screwed up.
Yup its j2me. It does not work on ppc's , I have already tried it on mine.
Old 5th February 2007, 02:54   #9
BHPian

If you are not very particular about WMPlayer, then you can install winamp which will i guess will play all your media files. Then you can install winamp network remote plugin through which you can control it from your second laptop. You can try searching for the plugin on winamp's site.
Old 7th February 2007, 00:10   #10
Senior - BHPian

Thanks buddy, will try winamp too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedonline View Post
2. using a bluetooth remote, i have that software if you want it, its in java, and has a very small footprint. (PM me if you want the software)
this works, but only with microsoft bluetooth stack (plus dot net). which is so pathetic that even microsoft site has instructions on how to bypass it . i took it off and went back on widcomm.

I finally fixed bluetoth on my pocket PC fixed....so i guess i will be using pocketPC-bluetooth-internet route to control my PC now.
Old 18th March 2007, 00:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

noticed something on my set up.

1. when laptop is connected to a local speaker, it's noise free.
2. when laptopo is connected to TV thru RCA cable (25 ft), but on battery, it's noise free.

but when i connect it to TV and put the power adapter, i get srong statics noise, which is bearable, but quite distracting. Can somebody take a guess on what's happpening?
Old 18th March 2007, 06:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

weird. i took an extender (basically american to indian plug) with only 2 pins, leaving earth pin open to air, and it's fine now.

i have no idea why earth on laptop charger was causing disturbances.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks