Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th October 2019, 19:02   #1
BHPian

The AIO (all-in-one) Computer Thread

I didn't see a thread for this form factor of PC, the AIO (all-in-one) computer form factor like the iMac etc. so I'm creating this thread.

Please post your past and present devices in this category.

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 20 AIO 3048 four years ago with a 20 inch 1600x900 display Intel Core i3-4160T, 4GB RAM, wireless keyboard and mouse, with Ubuntu linux (installed Windows myself) and a 1 TB HDD which I immediately replaced myself with an SSD. Cost around 36k back then and still going strong.

This computer is being used by my mom for basic web browsing, email, online shopping, youtube, facebook etc. so it works very well.

I am going to now sell this off and I just placed an order for a new Dell OptiPlex 7770 AIO (all-in-one) computer for 69k off here: https://www.dell.com/en-in/work/shop...iplex-7770-aio

Specs are 27 inch full HD LED display, Intel Core i5-9500 desktop class 65 watts CPU, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD, wireless keyboard and mouse again without Windows (comes with Ubuntu 18.04).

This one will also be used mainly by my mom for basic stuff. I know it's overkill but wanted to give this to her as a gift Should be delivered in three weeks time.

This is what it looks like:
Attached Thumbnails
The AIO (all-in-one) Computer Thread-delloptiplex7770.png  

Old 5th October 2019, 20:15   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: The AIO (all-in-one) Computer Thread

There's a thread for this:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...ml#post4651835 (The Desktop Computer & Configuration Thread)
Old 5th October 2019, 20:54   #3
BHPian

That thread is more for "desktop" form factor and not specifically for the AIO "all in one" form factor which this thread is intended to be.

But if this thread is not needed I guess mods can merge my post into the desktop thread.

Last edited by vishalrao : 5th October 2019 at 20:55.
Old 6th October 2019, 17:32   #4
BHPian

This seems like a good buy!
Well done on choosing Ubuntu over Windows; I switched in 2008 and have loved Linux ever since! This configuration, along with long-term-support releases of Ubuntu (or any other distro you may choose in the future) will easily last you a decade or more!
My personal preference is a conventional CPU-Monitor-Keyboard-Mouse set up with a wire running to an amplifier and speakers, mainly because I love to play around with hardware periodically and change configurations (and Linux distributions). However, I still use a 2009 AMD Sempron based machine upgraded to 4 GB RAM and a 120 GB SSD as an "always on" machine in the bedroom, which serves as the home theater hooked to the wall mounted TV in the evenings and as a bill-payment / backup work machine during the day.
Good going!
Old 6th October 2019, 18:39   #5
BHPian

Yeah my own personal desktop is also a conventional "CPU monitor keyboard mouse" setup, it's a Ryzen 1700 based system.

It "quint boots" OSes - Win10, elementary OS 0.4.1, elementary OS 5.0, Fedora Workstation 30 and KDE Neon.

I too like to build my own PCs which I've been doing since forever

Last edited by vishalrao : 6th October 2019 at 18:41. Reason: added multi OS boot info
Old 9th October 2019, 03:38   #6
BHPian

I have not seen more value in an AIO form-factor when compared with a laptop. If for home and non-movable purpose, I would still prefer a desktop and then a laptop over an AIO. BTW, is there any specific USP for an AIO?
Old 9th October 2019, 12:27   #7
BHPian

USP of an AIO might be its compact space saving form factor and desktop class configuration/specs.

I too personally prefer a desktop over an AIO nor even a laptop if I can avoid it.

I guess sales of laptops are king then come desktops and maybe AIOs are the least selling option, but thankfully all the major brands sell AIOs on their websites/shops even though the availability may be bare.

You don't get a full size screen and keyboard/mouse with a laptop (by default) although there are people who "dock" their laptops with full size monitors and keyboard/mouse setups but then you lose the space savings.

Plus, the current AIO I have and the new one I am getting both have desktop class CPU and not the lower powered laptop class CPUs although many AIOs these days do come with laptop class CPU options.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks