Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:02   #16
BHPian

How much for the link per month theMAG? What speed is the connection established at?
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:22   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
How much for the link per month theMAG? What speed is the connection established at?
Hey, what do you mean how much per month, why pay once it is setup?

This link gave lots of info.

WiFi Antennas | Selecting a WiFi antenna

I think point-to-point WiFi with directional antenna is the way to go. I don't think I can afford monthly payment kind of deal. I want to set it up and forget about it. I don't want non-directional solutions where people can keep taking a crack at my network.

SumitB, I'll PM you for more info.
Old 22nd February 2007, 22:39   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
may be I was wrong, but just check the link I have posted in my first post. If there can be a 500 m range Bluetooth then for over 500 m range, you can get 600 m range bluetooth dongle, or may be the seller is bluffing.
Iv dont think any Bluetooth device has a range of more than 100 metres.
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:36   #19
Team-BHP Support

After load of PMs between my and SumitB, I've decided to setup highly directional WiFi antenna on both sides to a WiFI AP or router. I'll decide on the network config later, but I feel this is a good solution. Thanks a ton SumitB, for all your help.

Now I'll have to look for affordable antenna.
Old 23rd February 2007, 16:56   #20
Team-BHP Support

^$#^$&#&^&*&%^%##@

Just spoke to my regular vendor. He tells me this whole thing is illegal in most of India except remote hilly states like SumitB's location.

He had installed something like this for a client in Mysore, the telecom guys found out, they came and took away all the equipment.
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:15   #21
BHPian

Your vendor is bulls*****ing you. As per the DOT guidelines, the 2.4GHz frequency that 802.11x standard uses is free for use throughout India. So I am not going to take this crap from your vendor and neither should you. I don't have the url with me at hand but I am sure if you google it you'll find it. It should be either under the TRAI or the DOT website. I did a whole lot of research on it over 2 years ago. A week or so back, DOT even opened the WiMax spectrum for use by individuals in order to open the use of WiMAX in India. Change vendors if that chap is not willing to help. I am sure you'll find lots of people doing WiFi more than willing to help you.

In NE we only have one thing which is ill-legal and that is inter-circle roaming by Pre-paid subscribers of Cellular Companies, i.e. a user of a prepaid mobile in Meghalaya will not be able to use his phone in Assam or anywhere else other than Meghalaya. Even pre-paid cards from outside the NE cannot work in NE. If this is what your vendor means by illegal. But surely it does not apply to the use of WiFi. In Meghalaya, the entire state govt. secretariats are WiFi enabled and the Shillong Municipal Board is linked to the State Govt. offices via WiFi. I know this as I stay next to the SMB office.
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:26   #22
BHPian

Can you inquire from your vendor when did this Mysore incident take place? I just looked up the WiFi spectrum being made free and it clearly specifies that the order is valid throughout India. If the Mysore incident took place pre-2004 then your vendor is not lying but post-2004 is simply bulls**t
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:34   #23
Team-BHP Support

My vendor says all these companies like BSNL, Airtel, Tulip, etc. have bought bandwidth rights to provide RF based connectivity over public area. People without that license, can't do it.
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:39   #24
Team-BHP Support

Any website link which explains the policies of TRAI on Wifi connectivity over public land?
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:42   #25
Team-BHP Support

wifi link, bridged set up with external antenna, giving 54 kbps (dlink)

dont know if this is same as the directional wifi link

apparently this is running successfully between another 2 buildings in my company, but distance is hardly 50 mts, across main road and since digging was not permitted this is being used
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:47   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Any website link which explains the policies of TRAI on Wifi connectivity over public land?

Law of 1933 - not sure if still valid in its entirety: TRAI :::::::
Old 23rd February 2007, 17:53   #27
BHPian

(Published in Part-II section 3(i) of the Gazette of India dated 19
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:05   #28
Team-BHP Support

Just talked my vendor again and checked his facts. Turns out he was talking about a 30ft MW tower antenna. When I told him I was referring to a maximum 1 foot antenna, he was like oops!

Actually he had no reason to intentionally mislead, I know him for years, but he has not done Wifi over public land before. He was thinking it was same as those RF microwave towers. I sent him the DOT document.

SumitB, thanks for the DOT document, you are a life saver.

Now back to equipment hunting.
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:06   #29
BANNED

Guys,

all these discussions says we can use the these wireless network legally in bangalore also ri8?????
Old 23rd February 2007, 18:08   #30
BHPian

Call up the Envision people and take a quote from them. Maybe they fit your budget.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks