Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2020, 11:17   #16
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Folding@home - Donating computer resources for disease research

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
The Tasks of Rosetta@home require more than 10-12 hours (even 14-16 hours in some cases).Do theses tasks really need so much time?
Yes, they do. On my Ryzen 5 3600, each Rosetta task takes ~8 hours to complete. Each task runs on one thread, so on your 4-thread i3 you'd be completing 4 Rosetta tasks every 10-12 hours. You can always snooze them or suspend the project if you'd like. These tasks take lowest CPU priority anyway, so it may not be necessary to do so.They also tend to be quite RAM intensive, I've seen Rosetta use up ~9-10GB of RAM at times on a 12-thread CPU. Also, seeing as your laptop doesn't have a dedicated graphics card, I'd suggest you stick to running either Folding@home or a BOINC project (Rosetta@home, in this case) at a time. The general consensus is to run Folding@home on the GPU and BOINC on the CPU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samfromindia View Post
LTT covered this recently here:
Yes, they did! They also conducted a COVID-19 Folding event which I was a part of. It lasted 14 days, and took the LTT team to the top of the monthly folding teams list. Which is pretty impressive, considering that there are also teams involved such as Curecoin (Crypto Miners) and AWSFolds (Amazon Web services).There's another video here : Also, the Folding@home network now has over 2.4 exaFLOPS of computational power. [Link - https://stats.foldingathome.org/os]

Last edited by aah78 : 20th April 2020 at 02:36. Reason: Spacing fixed. Please do not quote videos. Thanks!
rkv_2401 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2020, 06:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

I did contribute but just for one night, on Team #198, from Anand Tech.

The power draw on my AMD Ryzen based laptop was so high that is started to sap power from the internal battery too. From a fully charged laptop, left plugged in, the battery started to drain for some reason and this being the only computer at home, I could not risk failure at this time, as my son is also using it as part of his schooling from home project. Am aware that you can dial down the amount of resources you can let the process use. I did not pursue it further.
sandeepmohan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2020, 02:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post
The temporary fix I found to keep temperatures under control (instead of reverting my CPU to stock clocks) was to lower the number of cores/threads that Folding@home can use to 50% of my CPU, and then with the utilization hovering between 70-80% instead of maxed out at 100% all the time, I can run these projects while doing normal stuff like browsing, and the temps stay under control.
I am planning to upgrade my cooling to a 360mm AIO when I completely upgrade my rig soon.
I found an alternative solution to the heating problem, it's something I wanted to do for sometime, but was too lazy to put in the efforts. I finally spent a couple of hours getting the right undervolt for my CPU, and that made quite a big difference - not only for Folding@home, but for my PC in general, as it runs more silently and cool due to lower power draw now.

I have put the CPU slots back to full usage in the application, and don't have any worries about or issues with the thermals anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
The power draw on my AMD Ryzen based laptop was so high that is started to sap power from the internal battery too. From a fully charged laptop, left plugged in, the battery started to drain for some reason and this being the only computer at home, I could not risk failure at this time, as my son is also using it as part of his schooling from home project.
It was noble of you to give it a shot in the first place. Understanding your situation, that's not something I would want to risk either if I was in your place.

P.S: Sounds like your laptop needs an undervolt too

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2022, 20:27   #19
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Any T-BHPians still Folding..?

I'm currently at 150 million points, 100 million of which I accumulated throughout 2020 folding on a single GTX 1060 and the other 50 million after various folding events this year. I'm going to do a push to 500 million points (and beyond). Might take me a year or so of continuous folding, let's see.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks