Team-BHP - The Online Shopping Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   The Online Shopping Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/22122-online-shopping-thread-3.html)

I bought most of my camera stuff on Amazon.com and Adorama.com. Ebay India, i have mixed feelings. Things are overpriced on ebay India.

Lately many online stores are accepting only credit cards that are verified by Master Card or Visa for online transactions. This service is not yet offered in India. Last week, i bought a GPS device for my Pocket PC on a site called buy GPS Now, Navigation Products for Pocket PC PDA, PDA Phone, Bluetooth GPS, PDA GPS. After a while i got a mail that i should gived a verfied credit card and my order was cancelled.
Links to some resources on credit card verification
https://usa.visa.com/personal/security/vbv/index.html
MasterCard® SecureCode™*| MasterCard®

I buy many softwares for my PDA online. Safest bet as you pay and immediately download. They even have refund policies.

satish_appasani
Did u've payed the duty on camera you bought ?How much does duty is applicable on mobile phones ?.Any custom problem ?

I buy quite a lot of stuff online, mostly stuff you dont get to buy in regular stores or stuff that you have to trawl smaller shops for. Its much easier.

Some high end stuff like speakers and amps are also cheaper online than in stores.

And recently my Paki friend here bought his Yamaha Dragstar online.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown (Post 388779)
satish_appasani
Did u've payed the duty on camera you bought ?How much does duty is applicable on mobile phones ?.Any custom problem ?

IMHO, buying for US website and getting it internationally shipped is a crazy idea as the cost of shipping in most cases is enormous. If only the item is not available in India, it makes sense.

I usually get it shipped in US and ask someone to bring it along that works a whole lot cheaper. For e.g: i recently bought the apple video ipod and got it delivered to my sis home and my mom brought it back with her.

I am guessing thats how even satish does !

Quote:

Originally Posted by unknown (Post 388779)
satish_appasani

I was in US when i bought my camera. But when returning to India, i had small problem with the customs. I had the new SLR and a camcorder from the previous visit (duty unpaid) with me. They valued them to 30K and asked me please them (read money :) ). As free entry is allowed upto 25K, I paid 2000 as legal duty for the rest of the 5K and got a bill for the same. I still remember the sad face of the officer when he didn't make any money for himself.

I buy a lot of stuff online especially parts but mainly from overseas. The danger is the use or abuse of your credit card number and details if fall in the wrong hands. I follow a rule when ordering, i usually speak to the guy involved and give him my card details on the phone...its not exactly safe but its safer!! Ive noticed one thing in such transactions tough, when dealing with someone reputed or abroad, i get my stuff hasslefree and if its light even duty free many a times.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 388764)
@shuvd, how much was the 360 on ebay? And, how much did you buy it for locally? Was it the hard drive one or without wala?

mobike008 I don't remember the ebay price but I got it for 22 change. Don't remember. Its the PRO version with w/l controllers, 20gb HDD etal.

I've been "Internet Shopping" for a while and it's been a pretty good experience. It's a convinient way to shop. That said, I do keep a regular check on the prices of items. Hence, I voted for the second option.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shuvd (Post 388890)
mobike008 I don't remember the ebay price but I got it for 22 change. Don't remember. Its the PRO version with w/l controllers, 20gb HDD etal.

Thats a fantastic price, assuming you got 2 W/L controllers? PRO version which comes with Harddisk facility is being quoted around 27K here in Hyderabad when i checked last price last a couple of months ago.

So do you buy original games or pirated ones? And, do you run it on regular TV or LCD? IMHO, these games are wonderful on an LCD

@ mobike008 - I knew the dealer and hence got the "dealer price". Mine came with 1w/l controller. I go for original games. Waiting for the warranty to run out and then I'll hack the system to play all region DVDs!
I use the Samsung Bordeaux 40" lcd and a Yami 6ch amp. The combination rocks!!

I buy quite a bit of stuff online. But the stuff I buy is usually stuff that is not available (on-order or off-the-shelf) in India.

Mostly my purchases are books, ebooks, audio-books & software (the last 3 being downloadable stuff -- download immediately after purchase). I also make online payment for the renewal of the various domain names I manage for the family.

A couple of times I bought DVDs of some really old movies online.

On a couple of occasions I have bought accessories for my PPC phone (Case, screen-protector, earphone-adapter, spare battery) online.

I've never bought electronic stuff from eBay. If I'm buying from eBay, I only buy books.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satish_appasani (Post 388803)
I paid 2000 as legal duty for the rest of the 5K and got a bill for the same.

Which SLR did you buy ?
if your camera is unpacked they might not charge you.

i like to see a product before buying it... so no online bying for me....

I mean green channel..

I've bought several items online including: Books from Amazon, clothing, gadgets like cellphones, webcams and so on. When I was in the US I bought a Dell desktop online as well.