Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd April 2020, 11:26   #1
BHPian

Recommendations for a password manager

What tools or techniques are you using to store / manage your various and complex passwords ?
hondafanboy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:13   #2
BHPian

re: Recommendations for a password manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondafanboy View Post
What tools or techniques are you using to store / manage your various and complex passwords ?
A related thread which might be of some help
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadge...afe-handy.html (My new Dijori to keep my passwords safe and handy)

Last edited by PetrolheadRup : 23rd April 2020 at 13:15.
PetrolheadRup is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't laugh. I write them down on a sheet of paper which contains all my passwords - personal, business, statutory etc. Can't be copied or stolen digitally. As the only time I access these sites is from my laptop at home I don't need to store them on my mobile. PS: I don't use any Apps other than the taxi ones.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 23rd April 2020 at 13:21.
V.Narayan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:24   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Don't laugh. I write them down on a sheet of paper which contains all my passwords - personal, business, statutory etc. Can't be copied or stolen digitally. As the only time I access these sites is from my laptop at home I don't need to store them on my mobile. PS: I don't use any Apps other than the taxi ones.
This is the best idea. Easy, simple,and doesn't cost a dime. Reminds me of the time when NASA apparently spent millions to develop a pen to work in space and the Russians just used a pencil.

Only hope the wife or mom doesn't throw it away to the raddiwala some fine day
Red Liner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 13:31   #5
BHPian

I previously used chrome password manager to manage my passwords but had a strange incident where I got a notification that someone was trying to access my Google account from abroad. Since then, I have switched to lastpass and the experience has been great. It can create and save secure passwords for you and its available on every single platform.
dealer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 14:03   #6
Team-BHP Support

I follow a simple process. Remember one password for an AES-256 bit encrypted local password store. There are various local password stores that facilitate this. I use KeePassX on my mac. https://keepass.info/

With this approach, the only password I need to remember is that of the keystore to decrypt my store. Even if someone hacks into my PC and steals the file, they still need to be able to decrypt the safe file to be able to read any data. And my key is 44 characters long which I remember well

Alternately, you can use online password managers like Dashlane, 1Password, Lastpass, etc. At some point each of these have had security issues.

Writing on a piece of paper, a text or excel file is not something I recommend.
moralfibre is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 14:24   #7
BHPian

I use the LastPass tool. Use it as a chrome extension and on phone. Been using for some time 5+ years and fairly reliable.

This will also generate complex passwords when you need them.
sunishsamuel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 14:37   #8
BHPian

If you are in Apple's ecosystem like me, I simply use Keychain (name of Apple's native OS app) that's inbuilt to the operating system (PadOS, iOS and macOS).

So, suppose if you are logging in for the first time to a website, say using your iPhone, on successful login, your iDevice asks that do you want to store the credentials in the Keychain. Now if you wish to save your credentials for that particular website in the Keychain, it gets saved in your Keychain App and that is ultimately linked to your apple account which means that you can now access the same website on say on the iMac (with the same Apple ID) on prepopulated credentials.
drive_angry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2020, 15:32   #9
BHPian

I end up using the "forgot password" option a lot more than I would like to admit. I keep updating my mailbox password frequently to keep it secure though.
For some reason I'm paranoid of keeping all my passwords in one place, be it on a server or on paper. If it does come to recording it, I prefer writing it down. Lately a hack seems more probable than someone with bad intentions getting their hands on my notes.
MegaWhat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 08:16   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Recommendations for a password manager

I use Chrome's built-in password manager for its sheer convenience & follow all the usual best practices (2-factor authentication on all sites offering it, no visiting shady sites, no downloading of shady attachments, keeping my system updated, periodic virus scans etc.). Haven't had a password problem in years .

Financial passwords are kept in an encrypted file on the system. I don't type them into the browser; instead, just cut + copy + paste.
GTO is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 09:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

I've copies of my passwords on Google's password manager and LastPass. Why you ask? Because I need cross platform support for my iPad. If I were you, I'd use Firefox Lockwise. I've heard good reviews about it and Mozilla generally more proactive about security.

Note: Ignore everything above if you use Apple products. Use the iCloud keychain.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 12:02   #12
BHPian

I use BitWarden.

It is free, it is open source, it has been audited, it has apps for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android & iOS and it has extensions for all browsers. Give it a try!
0xTKB is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 12:05   #13
BHPian

On desktop, I have been using KeePass 1.XX (series) for around last 18+ Years

I have been using the MiniKeePass on my secured mobile for last 8-10 years. The beauty is you can sync/copy the desktop password database on mobile and use it from mobile as well.

So effectively, you can access your password anytime even when you are not near your desktop.

Its completely free and OpenSource....Highly Recommend it.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2020, 12:26   #14
BHPian

I just don't trust any of the password managers to be foolproof.

I have about a dozen complex passwords that I cycle through for various accounts.
I keep an excel file with a list of accounts and an abstruse password hint. The file itself is password protected. I keep updating every time I change the password for an account. Helps a lot for accounts / secure sites that I log into infrequently and hence tend to forget which password was set last.

Not the most convenient method & my laptop with the excel file may not be handy every time I need to log in, but I find it safer than password managers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Financial passwords are kept in an encrypted file on the system. I don't type them into the browser; instead, just cut + copy + paste.
Copy-pasting passwords is a great idea to avoid keyloggers. I used to keep pieces of my password spread out over a long (gibberish) sentence, copy pasting each piece into the password field. Became too cumbersome to keep up though.

Another good practice is to visit financial sites in "incognito" mode, which can block malicious plug-ins. Also erases any cookies created by the site, which can be security risks on thier own.

Many keyloggers are "incognito mode" proof though, so that remains a risk.

Last edited by moralfibre : 1st June 2020 at 13:44. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 24th April 2020, 12:49   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

State Bank of India does not allow copy paste and I think Bank of Baroda follows this as well.

My primary account (personal / current / corporate) is with SBI, so its a bit difficult. I too write and keep it in safe. Bank of Baroda does not allow screenshots even.

There is any way an OTP process for transactions, so, one is safe (unless your sim is snitched).

Last edited by Sheel : 13th March 2021 at 10:13.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks