Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2020, 14:00   #46
BHPian

Re: Guide: Backing up your data (computer & smartphone)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
Software used:

a) Encryption - Cryptomator, Boxcryptor used on cloud drives and USB flash drives
b) Backups - Macrium Reflect Home, Bvcup, Goodsync, Duplicati
Thanks for your recommendations on encryption software for cloud backups. However, it seems that the Android app of Cryptomator is not free.
So seems like need to use Boxcryptor for phone image backups. Or do you recommend any other software for phone backups to cloud?
Old 26th July 2020, 14:09   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosbert View Post
Thanks for your recommendations on encryption software for cloud backups. However, it seems that the Android app of Cryptomator is not free. So seems like need to use Boxcryptor for phone image backups. Or do you recommend any other software for phone backups to cloud?
Boxcryptor has a "freemium" version. The difference is the premium allows you to connect to more than 1 cloud provider. Axcrypt is a pure subscription app which costs less annually than a Boxcryptor subscription

Cryptomator is free on the desktop with a very reasonable charge for the mobile version, I think a few 100 bucks when I bought it for my iOS and Android phones. It's a one time cost which I believe is way better than a $40-50 annual subscription fee for the other two. The paid apps are way more user friendly than Cryptomator.

I have other encryption apps too but I would suggest one of the above. Also, I am curious to know how you could encrypt an "image" of your phone and upload it online? You probably refer to docs or other data?
R2D2 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2020, 21:24   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Boxcryptor has a "freemium" version. The difference is the premium allows you to connect to more than 1 cloud provider. Axcrypt is a pure subscription app which costs less annually than a Boxcryptor subscription

Cryptomator is free on the desktop with a very reasonable charge for the mobile version, I think a few 100 bucks when I bought it for my iOS and Android phones. It's a one time cost which I believe is way better than a $40-50 annual subscription fee for the other two. The paid apps are way more user friendly than Cryptomator.

I have other encryption apps too but I would suggest one of the above. Also, I am curious to know how you could encrypt an "image" of your phone and upload it online? You probably refer to docs or other data?
Thanks for the suggestion and advice. Yes, the Cryptomator app costs Rs. 850/- on android. But since I am exploring these now and do not have attachment to any one app, will stick to Boxcryptor for now and see how far that runs for my needs.
By phone "image" I meant photos on my phone . The other meaning of "phone images" didn't come to my mind when I wrote that.
Old 27th July 2020, 16:30   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion and advice. Yes, the Cryptomator app costs Rs. 850/- on android. But since I am exploring these now and do not have attachment to any one app, will stick to Boxcryptor for now and see how far that runs for my needs.
Boxcryptor will do just fine as long as you connect it to only 1 cloud service of your choice.

Quote:
By phone "image" I meant photos on my phone
Hehehe! Actually my bad there too.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:00   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Boxcryptor will do just fine as long as you connect it to only 1 cloud service of your choice.
Boxcryptor is already seeming to be too restrictive. Apart from 1 cloud service limit, it also has a limit of two devices. The app also seems to be crashing intermittently while uploading.
Thinking of getting the paid version of Cryptomator and be done with it. Are you satisfied with the Cryptometer app for Android in terms of usability? Thanks once again for your advice.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:09   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Boxcryptor is already seeming to be too restrictive. Apart from 1 cloud service limit, it also has a limit of two devices. The app also seems to be crashing intermittently while uploading. Thinking of getting the paid version of Cryptomator and be done with it. Are you satisfied with the Cryptometer app for Android in terms of usability? Thanks once again for your advice.
Ah you hit the device limit. They make it as difficult as possible to induce you to subscribe.

Cryptomator's only drawback in my view is the interface is not as polished as with the paid subscription apps. But a $10 one time fee is WAY better than a $40-50 annual subscription. I use the app on both iOS and Android and I find it worth the money. It is connected to folders on Google Drive, pCloud and OneDrive (I have subscriptions) rather than the ubiquitous Dropbox. A Dropbox subscription is a rip off and in the free version has limitations on the # of devices that you can link to it to, currently at 3.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:09   #52
BHPian

How do i access TP Link Security Camera footage on my laptop?

Background: I have a TP Link Tapo C200 security camera with a 128 GB memory card. The footage gets stored in the memory card. However, when i try to review the footage to see what happened at say 0356pm, i cannot seek the time exactly. I have to hold and drag it to somewhere around 0350pm or 0352 pm and then play which wastes a lot of time. I can playback in 2x, 4x, 8x, 16x speed but more often than not the event i want to witness gets skipped and then i have to drag back to 0352 pm and play again.

It becomes all the more difficult when i don't know the exact time but i know an event happened sometime between 3 to 4pm and i have to review that hour footage.

1. Is there an option (like in youtube on mobile on double tapping in the right half of the video the video gets forwarded 10 seconds etc. and double tapping in the left half takes it 10 seconds back.
2. Is there a way i can network access the SD card footage on my laptop without removing the memory card every time, so i can play the footage on a video player of my choice on my laptop where i can easily forward and backward the video any number of times and any number of seconds easily.

Look forward to your inputs.
Old 28th July 2020, 12:19   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Has anyone been successful in transferring all mobile content when moving from Android to Apple and visa versa? Have done it thrice till date and every time I have not been able to get all my data. For example Whatsapp backups aren't transferred between the same account on both OS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks