Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What screen size do you prefer for your phone?
5 inches or below 54 17.70%
5 to 6 inches 167 54.75%
6 to 7 inches 76 24.92%
Bigger the better - 7 inches or above 8 2.62%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2020, 22:03   #1
BHPian

Smartphones: Your preferred screen size

What screen size do you prefer on your phone? Would you want a small tiny device that fits in your pocket or do you lust after giants like Mi Max 2 or even the 7.2 inch Huawei Mate 20X? Do you like the new form factor where the phones are long but thin leading to a supposedly large screen size in theory but a tiny actual usable area or do you miss the classic old form factor?

Last edited by Lobogris : 12th August 2020 at 22:06.
Lobogris is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 22:28   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Smartphones: Your preferred screen size

I guess the screen size is much of a personal preference.
5 inches is good to fit in one's pocket. 7 inches seems too large and 6 inches inches seems ideal. For me the 6 inches cell phone is the ideal choice and all rounder to do all kinds of work besides phone calls.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 23:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

6.1-6.3 is my sweet spot. Good enough for watching videos or reading, and fits in the pockets as well.
Eddy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th August 2020, 23:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

I wish we still had a market for smaller phones.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think this move to bigger screens is an artificial demand created by manufacturers who've not given consumers options for smaller phones. Why? This is a collusion between phone/component manufactures and app developers. More screen area = More advertisement revenue for/from apps.

Once people are used to a larger screen and more apps, rarely do they ever move to smaller phone.
landcruiser123 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 01:51   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think 5.5 inches is the ideal size for one handed use while the screen is large enough for media consumption.
Mortis is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 02:14   #6
Senior - BHPian

The one thing I hate about my phone (Note 8) is the sheer size. I'd be happy to have a device with all the top specs in a much smaller size of say 5.8 to max 6". I'd trade in a few inches of screen size for overall ease of use.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 06:29   #7
BHPian

Something between 5.5 to 6 inches would be perfect for me, in a modern bezel-less form factor. I currently use a phone with a 6.2 inch 18.7:9 screen and still find it a little too big for me. The new Pixel 4A seems to be perfect in this regard, with a large-enough 5.8" screen in a package that's almost the same size as an iPhone SE (2020).
ram.iyer95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 06:56   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Smartphones: Your preferred screen size

I am not an XL-size smartphone guy at all. I miss my super light & slim S6 Edge. I'm currently using an S9 and this is pretty much the max I'd want to go. Equally, I might add, I am fine with small to medium screen sizes as I'm on my computer the entire day. Those who love 6" and over smartphone screens probably spend a lot of time looking at them.

How things have changed. In the mid-90s and early 2000s, the smaller the phone, the more expensive it usually was. Bragging rights then were around how "compact" your phone is.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 07:55   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Don’t like the current trend towards larger screens. Had an iPhone 7 until lockdowns started and its battery gave up the ghost. Switched to an iPhone 11 - which is too big in my view. My wife has a 11 Pro which is a bit better but I think the iPhone SE which is the same size as the iPhone 7 works best, and I would have gone for that had it been available when I bought my phone.
Hayek is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 08:00   #10
Senior - BHPian

For me the sweet spot is somewhere around 5.5 inhes. Big enough to watch videos, has sufficient space to be able to type in properly and at the same time is not too large to be difficult to handle.
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 08:19   #11
Senior - BHPian

Currently using a Galaxy S10 plus which has a 6.4 inch screen, and I am completely ok with it. I am Ok with any screen size as long as it fits in the pocket. Given almost bezel less screens today , I am OK with bigger screens.
Old 13th August 2020, 08:30   #12
BHPian

I love large screens. The bigger, the better from my point of view. My current phone, which I absolutely love, is a 7.2 inch Huawei Mate 20X. This is real 7.2 inches in the classic form factor, not the new long and thin trend that makes screens smaller. I bought this phone only because it had a larger screen than my earlier one! I saw it in Thailand last year and immediately had to buy it as it was a good flagship phone with a larger screen. If today I find a good phone with a screen size of 7.5 or 8 inches, I would again go for it. I have the same policy for all devices. My current TV is 75 inches and I am already eyeing 85 inch ones and would love to get a 100 inch or even bigger if possible. Similarly I have the 12.9 inch ipad pro and a 13.3 inch Chuwi tablet. Again, it if I could buy a larger tablet, I would love to do so. Yes, carrying my phone is a little hard but it is well worth it. What also helps is the amoled screen, great sound, flagship performance and a great array of cameras on my device.

Last edited by Lobogris : 13th August 2020 at 08:32.
Old 13th August 2020, 08:45   #13
Team-BHP Support

Voted 5 to 6 inches. That works just nice for me.
I am not a big fan of watching videos/movies on phone. Even if it’s a 5 minutes YouTube video I prefer to cast it on TV.

I feel Apple got it right with the iPhone 11 pro – not too big and not too small. And nowadays the bezels (or lack of it) matters as much as the screen size. My work phone, Samsung S10 is 6.1 inch on paper, but it feels small in hand due to the minimal bezel.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 08:58   #14
BHPian

I feel eyesight plays a significant role in the size of screen. My preference was smaller screen but with age catching up and power of eye going down bigger the screen the better for me (for the time-being 6" is adequate for me to see the things in the screen). While driving/riding if you want to check the screen for map or may be to call (after stopping the vehicle) it is easier to look at the bigger screen rather than fishing out your reading glasses for the same.
kozhissery is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2020, 09:40   #15
BHPian

It is not purely screen size. It is actually the width of the phone that we should be looking at. The reason? Earlier the screen aspect ratio was 4:3 then 16:9 and nowadays 20:9. So the 6 inch screen of yesteryear was wider while the current 6 inch phone is smaller.

My preferred width is 70 / 71 mm, phone case included.
shipnil is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks