Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2020, 14:03   #16
BHPian

Re: DIY: Upgrading the Storage / SSD of a Macbook Air!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Yes, it should be possible. Share the exact model and people here should be able to help.

Regards.
Thanks.
The model is HP Pro Book 450.
coolmind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 14:06   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruchitya View Post
As others mentioned, the 9500 has two m.2 slots, so you can simply add another drive, or swap out your current drive as well. Make sure you create a copy of the OS+drivers if you're going to swap the current drive.

On an unrelated note, I bought the 9500 as well. I'm facing a hardware issue where the closed laptop opens about 1/2 an inch when held vertically, with the trackpad side facing up. Are you seeing this as well? I've asked Dell for a replacement.
Thanks for sharing.
I am not facing this issue, but I have actually not observed it carefully. Will check.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 15:01   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Thanks.
The model is HP Pro Book 450.
As another member suggested, you can swap the HDD with an SSD using SATA interface to your advantage.

Watch this video, should be useful to you:
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 21:35   #19

I am looking to change batteries in my 2014 MBA. The service center costs are really high. Has someone tried that?
NemoAutum is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th August 2020, 22:49   #20

If it’s your primary system, it'd be better to stick to original battery and apple service. If you want, you could try exploring the ifixit site for DIY instructions (https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/MacBook...lacement/24738). Sourcing the original battery from US could work out cheaper. But, given the covid-19 situation, it could be a challenge.
I changed the battery on my 2010 MBP following instructions provided by ifixit as it was a straightforward process for that model.
Grand Vitesse is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th August 2020, 18:36   #21
BHPian

I just did the same upgrade in my mid 2012 macbook pro 2 days ago , the system came with 500gb hdd, replaced it with ssd. The system has became very fast now(compared to how it was running earlier) and can be used for some more years, just waiting for the 8gb ram to arrive now
yesyeswe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 09:26   #22
BHPian

Good job, OP! These kind of add-ons/ replacements extend life of existing products and keep them at par with new launches. After my 2017 MBA conked off (more on that later), I returned back to my 2011 Lenovo Z570. Plagued by slow processor, less RAM and an aging hard disk, I did think about getting a new laptop. But then better sense prevailed and aliexpress came to rescue. Upgraded processor to i7 from i3, 16GB RAM from 4GB and 256 GB SSD from 750 GB HDD (which is also serving as additional disk in same PC). PC performance has skyrocketed and is able to handle anything I can wish for in personal use.

Completely OT, my MBA has it's logic board conked off. Apple, as usual, is asking for a kidney to replace it (no repair possible as per them). Is there any way I can get it back to running stage? There are a couple of such repair videos on youtube but need more expertise than what I can do myself and hence looking for help on this.

Last edited by MNITDEVIL : 31st August 2020 at 09:27.
MNITDEVIL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2020, 10:14   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NemoAutum View Post
I am looking to change batteries in my 2014 MBA. The service center costs are really high. Has someone tried that?
There are some batteries available online but you cannot be sure about their quality and safety. SMP is the OEM for Apple batteries but I’m not sure if you can source them. Try looking for one from a good known brand Or if someone is flying down from the US, get one from iFixit. Also, try to find out the price charged by the Apple service. If you can source the battery, fitting it is straightforward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesyeswe View Post
I just did the same upgrade in my mid 2012 macbook pro 2 days ago , the system came with 500gb hdd, replaced it with ssd. The system has became very fast now(compared to how it was running earlier) and can be used for some more years, just waiting for the 8gb ram to arrive now
SSDs are one major breakthrough in terms of storage as you know. Inherently smaller, lighter, faster, and more reliable. Surely adds a punch to even older systems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNITDEVIL View Post
Good job, OP!

Completely OT, my MBA has it's logic board conked off. Apple, as usual, is asking for a kidney to replace it (no repair possible as per them). Is there any way I can get it back to running stage? There are a couple of such repair videos on Youtube but need more expertise than what I can do myself and hence looking for help on this.
Thank you!
About that logic board, there are a few shops in every city that deal with this level of repair. Usually somewhere tucked inside the busy markets. You can identify them with hundreds of old laptops lying in their shop. I found at least 3 of them during my hunt for the SSD adapter and I never knew about them before. If nothing works, try finding a donor system which has been discarded due to other issues like display etc.

Regards
Old 1st September 2020, 20:44   #24
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I have a Dell laptop with an I5 processor and a DVD drive. I have been told that the DVD drive can be replaced by a SSD. Is this correct and will the laptop work well after this upgrade? I am sick and tired of the slow speed. It's just 3 years old but speed is pathetic. I am looking at a 500 Gb SSD.

Additionally, I am running the official licensed Windows 10 but I do not have a "key". Computer guy says I will have to purchase another "Windows" key!! Is this correct?

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 2nd September 2020, 15:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

I recently did the same upgrade on my wife's dell laptop with an i5 processor as well.

I replaced the primary hard disk with the SSD and then scavenged the original HDD into the CD tray with caddy attached in the amazon link below.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could possibly install the ssd into the caddy as well but i dint want to do that since the interface would be on an unknown entity.

If you have a licensed windows copy you dont need a key to reactivate. Just enter next when it asks for the key during install and you are set.
You can download the windows 10 iso straight from the microsoft webpage itself.
There is a tutorial in the same download page for creating a bootable usb stick.( minimum 8gb)

If you are replacing the primary hard drive with SSD i would probably wait to install the original HDD in the caddy till windows is finished installing.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 2nd September 2020 at 15:51.
Old 6th September 2020, 01:14   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude1988765 View Post
I recently did the same upgrade on my wife's dell laptop with an i5 processor as well.

I replaced the primary hard disk with the SSD and then scavenged the original HDD into the CD tray with caddy attached in the amazon link below.

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You could possibly install the ssd into the caddy as well but i dint want to do that since the interface would be on an unknown entity.

If you have a licensed windows copy you dont need a key to reactivate. Just enter next when it asks for the key during install and you are set.
You can download the windows 10 iso straight from the microsoft webpage itself.
There is a tutorial in the same download page for creating a bootable usb stick.( minimum 8gb)

If you are replacing the primary hard drive with SSD i would probably wait to install the original HDD in the caddy till windows is finished installing.
Hi cooldude,

Thanks for the info.
So, it looks like my computer guy was trying to rip me off - which is what I thought!!
I was thinking of replacing the DVD drive with the new SSD. I did not understand why you did not do this. You said the "Interface would be on an unknown entity". What exactly did you mean by this?

By the way, how is the performance after you did the upgrade?
Can you suggest which size SDD I should go for. I was thinking about a 500 Gb. I already have a 1Tb HDD which is only half used.

Thanks & Regards,
SS
Old 25th September 2020, 21:53   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzuki san View Post
. You said the "Interface would be on an unknown entity". What exactly did you mean by this?
Sorry I should have been more clear.

I didnt want to install the SSD in the adapter that needs to be purchased as in this link since the SSD would be in constant use and I wasnt too sure how the cheap caddy would hold up under constant use.
But yes that would be the simplest way to install an SSD into your computer as I am sure on most laptops the DVD drive is pretty straightforward to remove.
The hard drive on the other hand can be quite complicated to remove depending on your laptop. For instance in my wife's Dell I had to literally take part the entire laptop to access the HDD right from the keyboard to the hinge mechanism etc. and it was quite fiddly to get it back together again.
On the other hand my 2014 Thinkpad has a separate window for the HDD as well and I remember the upgrade being done in a few minutes.(upgrade was done more than 3 years back and is still going strong Windows still logs in in under 15 seconds, I have to replace the battery though as it is completely dead)

I would probably stick to the 240GB SSD as you would only need it for the OS and applications in my opinion. The rest can still stay on the HDD.
The idea is to spend as little as possible for the most performance gains.

Last edited by cooldude1988765 : 25th September 2020 at 21:54.
cooldude1988765 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks