Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2020, 19:46   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Laptop Thread: Configs, deals & questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post

This is totally wrong statement. Intel has huge lead in Thin and light segment. You may see as 80:20 split in the designs currently. Premium segment is defined as some thing more than $800. .
Agreed. None of the high end 2020 models have AND options yet, but the 4000 series of AMD caught everyone offguard.

Would implore everyone to watch this video

Waiting for 2021 to buy a Ryzen 4900 with Nvidia 3070 Gaming machine.

Or a Dell XPS 15 with a Ryzen 4900!
Old 3rd September 2020, 01:21   #32
BHPian

Re: AMD vs Intel CPUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
That is one a hell of a configuration, a dream workstation rig to own and like the cherry on top, it is backed by Lenovo. What is the cost?
You could build one for a lot less if you wanted to

OT: Intel isn't going to be competitive on product until atleast 2022. That said, they have a lot of other ways to compete :-

Last edited by Amien : 3rd September 2020 at 01:26.
Amien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 06:26   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
What is the cost?
Not my personal workstation. This is where I work. Comes to about $7,300 (New Zealand $) without a gpu, 128gb ram, dual ssd with 1*1Tb nvme ssd and 1*2Tb nvme ssd. Our base spec is usually with a RTX5000 but we are waiting for the new RTX3090 thats just been launched.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 09:44   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joxster View Post

Anyone still talking about single-core performance is living in the past.
Unfortunately this is not true. If this were true, the first Ryzen series processors with 16 cores should have been the last processor anyone needed for the next decade! The fact of the matter is that workload speedup is ultimately determined by Amdahl's law, which states that the max speedup that you can get with parallel (read: MOAR cores) processing is limited by the amount of sequential processing (or single core processing) that the workload demands.

If 80% of your code is serial in nature, and you throw *infinite* cores at the workload, your code will run 1/0.8 = 1.25x faster than running on a single core.

But if you make your processors 20% faster in single threaded perf and throw just 2 cores at the workload, it will still run 25% faster. A better dual core can beat out a hypothetical "infinite" core processor with weaker single threaded performance.

There's also a limit when a workload becomes too parallel, it naturally moves over to the GPU. So it makes no point to run it on the CPU any more. Nobody runs games on a CPU simply because rendering graphics is an inherently massively parallel operation which demands too many cores.

Intel just released their Tiger lake processors for laptops, which are a good deal ahead of Ryzen 4000 in single thread performance, which is great as it speeds up everything CPU limited - single threaded or multi threaded.

Competition is good!

Last edited by d3mon : 3rd September 2020 at 09:49.
d3mon is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2020, 14:54   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Unfortunately this is not true.
I agree with what you said. This is what happens when you try and post in the middle of work, haha.

I was responding to a post about AMD vs Intel CPUs for desktop gaming. What I meant to say (and completely failed at it) was that specifically in the current desktop CPU realm single core is not everything for games - many newer games take advantage of multi-core, and this will only get better because even consoles are moving to 8 cores & 16 threads. Intel's 10th gen (Comet Lake) shows higher boost clock speeds of up to 5.3GHz, and AMD's 3rd gen (Zen 2) shows lower boost clock speeds of up to 4.8GHz - in a lot of gamers' minds, this means that the experience on Intel will be way better. What they don't understand is that clock speeds are heavily based on thermal headroom. The hotter the CPU becomes, the lower the clock speeds go. Most gamers are also GPU bottle-necked without even knowing it. When building a gaming PC, money is always better spent on a GPU than a CPU - the lower the performance of the GPU, the less the impact of the CPU on the overall performance.

In reality, gaming on a 10th gen Intel desktop CPU is less than 10% better at 1080p than gaming on a 3rd gen AMD CPU (only when using a top end GPU like a 2080 Ti), and that small gap closes to basically nothing at 1440p. When using a lower/mid-range GPU (which is what most gamers buy), there is literally no performance difference between using an AMD or Intel CPU, but there is a price difference not just for the CPU, but for the motherboard as well. This tips the cost vs performance comparison in favor of AMD in all reviews. If only Intel would lower their costs more, then they would be much more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3mon View Post
Competition is good!
Amen! God bless competition

Quote:
The CEO Lisa Su is a core technical person and an asset. She should be given the full credit for this turn around. And TSMC also played their role well. How many know TSMC has twice market cap as that of Intel currently.
Lisa Su is amazing! She deserves all the praise for AMD's recent successes.
Can't speak on behalf of anyone else, but I know that TSMC has a higher market cap than Intel. TSMC has played a key role not only for AMD, but now also for Apple.

Quote:
But as I summarized in earlier posts, never write off Intel. They have the cash. They know the game. AMD had >35-40% market share 15 years ago. Then it dropped even to single digits. Now it has gained significantly, still AMD revenue is still 1/10 of Intel. So don't mistake the discussions in this thread to be the larger picture,as if AMD is swallowing Intel. If they solve the process troubles, they will be back in business of domination.
I don't think anyone is writing off Intel. And AMD can never swallow Intel IMHO. Intel is a very diversified company with hands in a lot of different pies. The reason why lots of people are emphasizing AMD at the moment is because their current offerings are very competitive at the least, and way better at the most, and are usually much better priced. Anyone that underestimates Intel's engineering prowess is only kidding themselves. I think Intel will come back very strongly, but it will take sometime for them. Tiger Lake is a good start - I sincerely hope to see them improve even further.

I hope the last part of what you said doesn't come true however. Competition is good for everyone. It keeps companies on their toes, and brings out the best products and pricing for consumers like us. Innovation is usually the result of competition, not total domination by one company

Cheers

Last edited by Joxster : 3rd September 2020 at 14:58.
Joxster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2020, 11:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
The CEO Lisa Su is a core technical person and an asset. She should be given the full credit for this turn around.
I don't agree. Full credit? So Jim Keller and Mike Clark were just there to look good? While I agree Lisa Su is a very valuable asset, many seem to underappreciate Keller for no reason.
Old 4th September 2020, 14:18   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaiSW View Post
I don't agree. Full credit? So Jim Keller and Mike Clark were just there to look good? While I agree Lisa Su is a very valuable asset, many seem to underappreciate Keller for no reason.
Of course it's the result of years of hard team work by scores of very very brilliant minds like Jim Keller and all.

But we are living in the personality cult age and leaders take credit. Lisa Sue has done a tremendous job since taking over the top job at AMD and she deserves to take the credit for it.

However, as a fabless company, their future is tied to that of TSMC. Right now TSMC is on a roll and churning out products like clockwork. But what if they falter? The technology we are talking about is really really complex and it's easy to fumble there.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2020, 20:43   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarth 619 View Post
Its normal behaviour for Laptops to give less fps on battery alone, it needs power to be connected to give their highest fps'. Its common for every laptop that exists.

But I guess your exact problem is the non availability of power for 5-10 seconds, like a lag.

By the way, I did a Google search on your problem and I stumbled across this link. Exact same symptoms, and the problem is solved!
In short, you might need a high power charger. I hope this helps you.

Check it out: https://www.dell.com/community/Inspi...g/td-p/7298878
As suggested by you I did a little experiment. my elder brother just bought a brand new g3 i7, I connected my old g3 to the new g3's charger and it worked! performance has improved a lot no more charger connecting and disconnecting issue constant FPS (55ish) in GTA 5 too. I mailed my findings to dell. my laptop is still under warranty I think they should replace or at least repair my charger free of cost. thanks for your help!
Aney Kadam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2021, 17:13   #39
BHPian

I found this AMD vs Intel CPU comparison very interesting from a purely gaming perspective. All the CPUs were limited to 4 cores and the same clock frequency for the comparison to see the generational progress made specifically from an architectural standpoint. It's amazing to see the progress!

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks