Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2020, 16:27   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Sony Wena 3 : A smart strap for your existing watch!

Sony has launched Wena 3, a smart strap that actually replaces the strap of a normal watch. This can be used with your favorite watch. This is a boon to many people who love their watches and don't want to shift to a smartwatch just for this. Or for Casio fans like me who are waiting for a G Shock smartwatch from them.

Quote:
The screen is now much larger – the Wena Pro had a tiny line display, this one fits several lines of text. It can display notifications from your phone (which you navigate by swiping) and has alarms and timers (which your watch may or may not lack).

Another new feature on the Wena 3 is the heart rate sensor, which can detect blood-oxygen saturation and calculate VO2 Max. The strap also estimates stress and recovery, it has the usual step counter and sleep tracker as well.
Sony Wena 3 : A smart strap for your existing watch!-gsmarena_001.jpg

Sony Wena 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambydude View Post
Hi Guys,

At the outset, let me declare that I love the Casio G shock range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

Another option is to wear G-shock in one hand and a proper activity tracker in the other hand
This is what we need.

Last edited by BoneCollector : 7th October 2020 at 16:32.
BoneCollector is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 08:24   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Sony Wena 3 : A smart strap for your existing watch!

Thanks for sharing! This innovative product surely deserves its own thread .
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 08:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
Sony has launched Wena 3, a smart strap that actually replaces the strap of a normal watch. This can be used with your favorite watch. This is a boon to many people who love their watches and don't want to shift to a smartwatch just for this. Or for Casio fans like me who are waiting for a G Shock smartwatch

Huge G-Shock fan, have collected 4 watches over the last few years, and have completely shunned any other watch, be it any occasion. So had the urge to track steps and also track occasional running etc, bought a Fitbit inspire HR, and now use it on my right hand, while the GShock firmly stays on my left hand as always. The inspire is very compact, hence this whole thing seems not so weird.

However, im not sure how much traction this Sony wena is going to get. Seems like too much of a work around.
motorworks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 10:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorworks View Post
Huge G-Shock fan, have collected 4 watches over the last few years, and have completely shunned any other watch, be it any occasion. So had the urge to track steps and also track occasional running etc, bought a Fitbit inspire HR, and now use it on my right hand, while the GShock firmly stays on my left hand as always. The inspire is very compact, hence this whole thing seems not so weird.

However, im not sure how much traction this Sony wena is going to get. Seems like too much of a work around.
There is a gshock now that fulfills all your requirements.

https://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/e...uad/gbd-h1000/
Red Liner is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 11:54   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
There is a gshock now that fulfills all your requirements.

https://world.g-shock.com/asia-mea/e...uad/gbd-h1000/
Thanks for this info. I checked and found that it's available on Amazon. It's available at INR 39,999/-.
BoneCollector is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 12:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for this info. I checked and found that it's available on Amazon. It's available at INR 39,999/-.
Maybe a better deal awaits during the upcoming Diwali sale
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th October 2020, 14:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My friend walked in to a Just In Time store and negotiated hard. Got a 45k Seiko for 35k. The inventory holding cost must have been huge for watch shops. They would be keen to liquidate.
Old 8th October 2020, 14:29   #8
BHPian

Quote:
This is a boon to many people who love their watches and don't want to shift to a smartwatch just for this.
Absolutely agree, I like wearing my regular watches during the day and wear my tomtom smartwatch when I'm running/ swimming. I definitely miss out on the stats during the day.

This sort of a product (I'm sure this will come in 10 different forms in a year) will allow us to track the day's data while still wearing a nice mechanical watch.

Now waiting for a strapcode to integrate this into some nice 20mm bracelets.
Old 10th October 2020, 21:51   #9
BHPian

I have been tracking this Sony product since it's first iteration. To me this makes ABSOLUTE sense. Especially in it's current avatar.

I used to be one of those guys that wore a watch (proper analogue) on one hand and a fitness tracker on the other. Just could not let go of the beautiful watch and at the same time wanted basic fitness tracking & notifications. This was the situation since the last 3 years, until I came across the Titan Connected X. I was probably one of the first few in Mumbai to have it (12th August). It's been 2 months now, no regrets. It has some pretty unique features, though, honestly - it's not a perfect product. It's like an extreme balance between a good traditional watch that can be worn any day, any where - formal or denims (LOVE the milanese strap) with a 'sleeper' smart watch lurking just below it.

Here's one review of the watch that covers most aspects.

The real problem is... once you see what a PROPER smartwatch can do, then your mind starts to wander between the 'old world' and the future!
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 05:35   #10
BHPian

If you are ready to spend INR 40K on a watch strap then your regular watch is Rolex and above . I don’t see regular watch wearers ( seiko, citizen) buying this super expensive band.

I am a budding mechanical watch enthusiast and have a few mechanical watches all in and around the 25k or below mark. I jumped ship to the iwatch series 6 a few days back. I won’t go back to mechanical watches as my daily wear anytime soon. On the other hand if I had a Rolex or Cartier or any of the Uber exclusive brands , I would not be as willing to jump ship to the smart watches .
Old 11th October 2020, 09:41   #11
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I do think Sony has a Good Idea.

And Casio has already come up with a rugged option.

Fossil has elegant options.

Samsung Watch 3
is also elegant.

LG linked below is reasonable, and Mechanical with Wear OS.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07RJF5G7L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_YvOGFbWB6NB61

LG New W7

Mechanical Arms, Swiss Design, Wear OS
Attached Thumbnails
Sony Wena 3 : A smart strap for your existing watch!-screenshot_20201011094238_amazon.jpg  

Last edited by ACM : 11th October 2020 at 09:45.
Old 11th October 2020, 10:55   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

LG linked below is reasonable, and Mechanical with Wear OS.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B07RJF5G7L/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fab_YvOGFbWB6NB61

LG New W7

Mechanical Arms, Swiss Design, Wear OS
This is quite reasonably priced. But I found it extremely disappointing to find that it lacks a basic heart rate sensor! There's nothing to measure!
Forget Spo2, BP, ECG ... But HR sensor is a MUST!
Doesn't mention sleep tracking either. Rest of the specs are nice, especially for the price point.
Dr.Suraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2020, 23:31   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charanreddy View Post
If you are ready to spend INR 40K on a watch strap then your regular watch is Rolex and above . I don’t see regular watch wearers ( seiko, citizen) buying this super expensive band.

I am a budding mechanical watch enthusiast and have a few mechanical watches all in and around the 25k or below mark. I jumped ship to the iwatch series 6 a few days back. I won’t go back to mechanical watches as my daily wear anytime soon. On the other hand if I had a Rolex or Cartier or any of the Uber exclusive brands , I would not be as willing to jump ship to the smart watches .
If you think of Seiko as a regular watch brand then you have some more distance to go as a budding watch collector Yes sure, they have watches in 10-15K range but look up the range in Grand Seiko for the typical horological gems. Or look up Credor if you truly want something exquisite and niche.

Plus, I don't think buying a strap of 40K implies that one has the means to buy Rolex, IWC, JLCs of the world. I know I can explore buying this strap but I am not yet ready to plonk my money on anything beyond 2-3L on a watch.

To avoid going further off topic, what I am curious is how would this fare when it rests on a surface (like working desk) when fitted to a strap. I hate getting scratches on my watch links so not sure what would happen to this strap.
Hells Bells is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2020, 00:57   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hells Bells View Post
If you think of Seiko as a regular watch brand then you have some more distance to go as a budding watch collector Yes sure, they have watches in 10-15K range but look up the range in Grand Seiko for the typical horological gems. Or look up Credor if you truly want something exquisite and niche.

Plus, I don't think buying a strap of 40K implies that one has the means to buy Rolex, IWC, JLCs of the world. I know I can explore buying this strap but I am not yet ready to plonk my money on anything beyond 2-3L on a watch.
I am sure I have a long way to go as a budding watch collector, but I did say Seiko and not Grand Seiko . Your 2-3L range is still very niche, assuming Omega / Tag Heuer/ Breitling (or am I thinking it to be) and may justify a 40 k premium strap . All the best with your band search.
Old 17th October 2020, 14:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
10K off. Although the best one as per me (white one) is gone.

Sony Wena 3 : A smart strap for your existing watch!-screenshot_20201017144250.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks