Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2020, 09:31   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: US sues Google for search monopoly; first since the 2001 Microsoft trial

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Can Facebook be sued for monopoly of the social media space? I'm guessing Facebook + Instagram account for 80% or higher market-share?
Yes. In a news article from yesterday, USA might file anti trust charges as soon as November of this year.
If I remember correctly, efforts to breakup Facebook have been in place since last 2 years by the senate. There were some voices inside Facebook itself to break the social media conglomerate but Zuckerberg refused.
I think the demands were to separate Instagram from FB (I so wish this comes true) among others.
Old 24th October 2020, 20:25   #17
BHPian

Re: US sues Google for search monopoly; first since the 2001 Microsoft trial

Imagine Apple got 12B USD from Google for allowing Google to track Apple device users' web usage/behaviour/search engine etc. How much Google made out before paying 12 Billion? I can not imagine this other than anything to monopoly. When I see this recent advertisement from Apple about Privacy and Security, I laugh myself.

link here

When you allow Google somewhere, you are done with your privacy. As simple as that. Safari's default search is Google. On a side note, when Microsoft ditched legacy Edge for Chromium based Edge, I see a clear diversion and I tend to see more ads in the MS browser for some reason.
Could be due to the fact that, from the ground up while building the browser, Google opens up too many things in the browser as it owns it, to enable themselves to capture lots of user's web activities from the browser and as well building dependability/interfaces (e.g. linking phone numbers/address/geo-location/mapping etc natively).

We are in a net of Google products and it is almost difficult to escape, I afraid on our own. When I use Google Maps, I also share where I am with Google, to help build its database to analyse the traffic in that area/road. Remember the news that someone made a fake traffic jam in the GMaps with 50 or so phones activated with maps in a trolley?

Google became a data analytics company long back and not just a search engine company any more. They use our data to build better products and experiences. They use our privacy data (name, gender, age, search interests, location, shopping habits, geo-places etc) to build better target advertising products for the businesses. Google can not survive for long, I presume. They will be broken into pieces sooner or later when they get exposed too much. Their advt. business and search engine need to be separated. Otherwise, they will abuse us to do their business. There are other businesses like Facebook which are equally bad as well, but since, Google has some solid products like YouTube, Search, Gmail, Maps which no one can compete, that is why, the damage Facebook does is not known much openly.

Last edited by sgmuser : 24th October 2020 at 20:28. Reason: links

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks