Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2020, 17:45   #31
BHPian

Re: The Home Air Purifier Thread : Reviews & Comparisons

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancia_fanboy View Post
Can you give the reference of the doctor if you don't mind, I'm back in Delhi after ages and my allergies/reaction have shot up crazy.

Thanks in Advance
Below is the Practo link and his name is Dr Shamim Akhtar, Pulmonolgist at St. Stephens Hospital, Tis Hazari.

https://www.practo.com/delhi/doctor/...-pulmonologist

Last edited by Maverick Avi : 29th October 2020 at 17:50.
Maverick Avi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2020, 20:34   #32
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
As of mi filter - I will be shocked (not surprised) if it is recycleable in any way esp in bharat. It is HARD plastic - you can sit on it and it can take a light person's weight. it is too beautifully made for something that has a limited shelf life.
I'll open it up to check. I'm running 2 Purifiers at 0%, I'll buy for one of them and then break open the old filter to see what's inside.

My current understanding is,
  • Outer layer - plastic mesh (like a prefilter)
  • 1st - Hepa paper filter - stacked as paper fins
  • 2nd - Activated carbon - like a charcoal layer
  • Inside - a broad plastic mesh to give strength to the filter.
  • Top and bottom - plastic discs
SLK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2020, 23:31   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Does any one have recommendations for an Air filter for home ? The areas surrounding our place of stay sees some heavy burning of garbage and stuff over the next three months and due to a no breeze kind of nights , the smell lingers inside the home. This peaks towards the night. I’m a little sensitive to this smell and develop a bit of an itchy throat and struggle with my throat.

I’m not sure a home air purifier may help solve this problem.

Any recommendations please! Thanks.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 3rd November 2020 at 23:32.
Old 4th November 2020, 07:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Home Appliance thread

Air Purifier will 100% solve your problem. Look out for Sharp brand (It's imported). The Plasma-cluster tech is amazing in this machine. In my office, I had couple of weirdos who blew cigarette smoke directly into it, and it used to absorb completely. No odour used to remain, its that fantastic. Heavy duty applications like Garbage Burning smell can be handled with ease
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
The areas surrounding our place of stay sees some heavy burning of garbage and stuff over the next three months and due to a no breeze kind of nights, the smell lingers inside the home. This peaks towards the night. I’m a little sensitive to this smell and develop a bit of an itchy throat and struggle with my throat.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2020, 07:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Sebring. I just placed the order for a sharp F40-EW. Delivery is tomorrow and I’ll write back the review in a week or so.

I think I might need one more at home. I’ll try this first and decide if I keep moving this between the hall and the bedroom.
Old 4th November 2020, 07:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

That's the mistake most of us do. Keep it stationary at one place and try for a week. See the difference. The filter has a certain capacity to absorb. It's best when fresh/relatively fresh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Thank you Sebring. I just placed the order for a sharp F40-EW. Delivery is tomorrow and I’ll write back the review in a week or so. I think I might need one more at home. I’ll try this first and decide if I keep moving this between the hall and the bedroom.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2021, 11:52   #37
BHPian

I moved houses recently and the new place has ample airflow and excellent sunlight etc. This also comes with dust! Lot's of dust!
Will an air purifier help with removing some of the dust in the air we breathe?
What is the optimal usage of the air purifier - should this keep running all the time or should it be used in small bursts?
I don't have an air conditioner at home, so I will have windows (and doors) open during the day - will an air purifier be able to remove the dust when there's wind blowing?
And finally - given this, any suggestions on air purifiers that I can look for?
Old 11th April 2021, 10:54   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
I moved houses recently and the new place has ample airflow and excellent sunlight etc. This also comes with dust! Lot's of dust!
Will an air purifier help with removing some of the dust in the air we breathe?
What is the optimal usage of the air purifier - should this keep running all the time or should it be used in small bursts?
I don't have an air conditioner at home, so I will have windows (and doors) open during the day - will an air purifier be able to remove the dust when there's wind blowing?
And finally - given this, any suggestions on air purifiers that I can look for?
An air-purifier will definitely help to remove the dust from the air you breath.
Most of the air-purifiers come with a air-flow rating, depending on that and your room size the purifier should take around 2-4hrs to filter the air.
I use an air purifier with open windows, the PM2.5 levels dropped from 100+ to 20-30. With the curtains closed it further drops to 10-20, and finally with everything closed and AC on, drops to 0.
For suggestions, what's the carpet area of your room?
Old 23rd May 2021, 16:30   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I actually have a brand that very few seems to have heard of but is apparently one of the top brands in the world with respect to air purifiers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shyaGO View Post
I am also using same Coway model for almost a year now.
Guys, I have shortlisted Coway based on many online reviews and more importantly your feedbacks.

Any updates in your experience after the last season ? Performance, filter change, service support etc.

I am staying in NCR and looking to buy Coway Air Mega 150 (2 units).
Old 24th May 2021, 23:24   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Guys, I have shortlisted Coway based on many online reviews and more importantly your feedbacks.

Any updates in your experience after the last season ? Performance, filter change, service support etc.

I have ordered one unit from Coway website. After discount price Rs. 14,850.

I'll try it out and then plan to order second unit.
Old 30th May 2021, 17:52   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post

Missed to respond to this. Overall I would say a neutral to positive opinion. It seems to be doing a decent job. As there are no indicators on the performance, have no way of measuring how effective it is other than the subjective feel of it. From that perspective , I don't 'feel' the air quality to have significantly improved. Having said that when I open up to clean the filters, I do see a lot of dust captured in the pre mesh filter itself. So it does seem to be doing its job.

Maintenance has been hassle free. It is a pretty straightforward unit just doing what it is supposed to do without any fancy electronic add ons. So have never have had to reach out to support. All I do is clean the filters every 2-3 weeks. Recently after around 2 years is use the filter change indicator came on. I could not find the exact same filter model on the website and was intending to reach out to support, have not done it so far.

Edit: Just looked at the one you ordered. While the filtration concept is very much the same, looks like it has a few small but significant additions on air quality, auto speed select and filter clean indicators which are good additions. Do update your feedback also

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 30th May 2021 at 17:56.
Old 2nd July 2021, 11:54   #42
Team-BHP Support

Forbes Coronaguard Powered By SHYCOCAN Inactivates Corona family of viruses…

Is this really legit?

https://www.eurekaforbes.com/coronaguard
Old 4th July 2021, 14:18   #43
BHPian

I would like to suggest one air purifier which I have been using since 2 years and is the best of the lot here IMO for price and value, it's SMARTAIR.
https://smartairfilters.com/in/en/pr...-air-purifier/

I purchased the Chemical Warfare version (contains carbon filter and HEPA filter) since then have only replaced both carbon and HEPA filter yearly (costs around ~2.5K combined)

I just checked the website for the price and would like to say, I had purchased it for 7.5-8K INR - chemical warfare package. I can see they have increased prices by 1-1.5K INR.

You may buy it from amazon or directly, they have a small fulfillment office in Delhi and ship products from there via tracking post. (For demo I simply made a visit to their office some years back when they just were setting up shop, took me a bit to hunt the office down)

My requirements were simple when hunting for Air purifier:
1. No/minimal proprietary solution/shape of filters.
2. Parts availaibility
3. Carbon filter (an added plus) along with HEPA filter if available.

My research took me down into a rabbit hole and somehow I reached smartairfilter website and project.

Setup which is barebones :
1. Heavy duty fan
2. Carbon filter
3. HEPA filter

That's it! No mobile app, no gizmo and sadly nothing to give you update to change the filters but BOY does this small wonder keeps on doing what it's supposed to. I was skeptical to try this "coolaid" which nobody near me knew about or even cared to talk about however I took a plunge.

For testing I had borrowed Kaiterra Laser Egg from a friend to test once I received the machine. it worked perfectly for a standard room and I could see value dropping within 15 minutes.
With someone in family who has DNS and other seasonal allergies this is one of the best purchase I could have done.

If this reads like an ad, I would not mind. I really like the product and want these guys to do good and have recommended this to many in my immediate family and friends, however somehow everyone ends up either with xiaomi or something similar in that price bracket. Couple of them who did end up purchasing it are very happy.

I believe I was drawn to the product as it is a simple 3 speed rotate old school kinda machine also the fact even if we do not get parts we can just buy HEPA and carbon filter cut them and use it.
Ps_o is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th January 2022, 20:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

I'm on the hunt for an air purifier and boy oh boy has this lead me down a rabbit hole of research. I'm hoping members can guide me on what to buy.

As of now, I was able to gather that the kind of HEPA filter is important (is it really?). The Sharp uses an H14 HEPA filter and the COWAY uses an H13. The Coway on the other hand is the only company claiming to block particles upto 0.1 microns, while everyone else only talks about 0.3 microns. I do not understand what the Coway is doing extra to achieve this. Any insight and/or suggestions are welcome. Thankyou.
Old 5th January 2022, 21:23   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I'm on the hunt for an air purifier and boy oh boy has this lead me down a rabbit hole of research. I'm hoping members can guide me on what to buy.

As of now, I was able to gather that the kind of HEPA filter is important (is it really?). The Sharp uses an H14 HEPA filter and the COWAY uses an H13. The Coway on the other hand is the only company claiming to block particles upto 0.1 microns, while everyone else only talks about 0.3 microns. I do not understand what the Coway is doing extra to achieve this. Any insight and/or suggestions are welcome. Thankyou.
Go with Xiaomi. It performs really well and is priced well too. Go with the higher models that cost around 8k and include a real laser pm 2.5 monitor built into the device. I have four of them and they work really well.
Lobogris is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks