Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What is your favourite smartphone keyboard?
OEM 38 22.49%
Gboard 83 49.11%
SwiftKey 43 25.44%
Fleksy 1 0.59%
Swype 1 0.59%
Minimum 0 0%
Other 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2020, 13:10   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Your favourite smartphone keyboard

I am used to typing most of my TeamBhp posts on mobile. I am also an active WhatsApper, and emailer, more so because of the current physical disconnect.

Many of my texts are bilingual.

I have experimented with various options and have finally settled on and am in peace with one named Just ಕನ್ನಡ.

This is available on Google Play Store.
Old 10th December 2020, 13:21   #17
BHPian

I am an Android user, and I use the Gboard.
I'm not brand loyal to Android handset makers. So, when I switch phones, adapting to each OEM keyboard takes some getting used to. I use the Gboard for a consistent user experience, so that I don't have to go through the unlearn and learn phases when switching handsets.
All of my typing is using the swipe feature of the keyboard, and I love the experience.
Others have pointed out the many benefits of the Gboard already, so, I will not list them again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Use the OEM keyboard for 99% of the typing.

For posts on Team-BHP, I use 'Grammarly' for checking any typo/error once again after I proofread before submitting.
I have made it a point to never type and post anything from my mobile device. Not limited to just Team-BHP, but, anything that requires serious typing is always from a laptop or from a peripheral full keyboard attached to a laptop for me.
FlashMustang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th December 2020, 14:06   #18
Senior - BHPian

Have people here, who have voted for GBOARD, even tried Swiftkey or any other third party keyboard? (Assuming since lot of people dont change default).

This survey will be biased towards default applications and wont be fair on tools like swiftkey.
2000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:46   #19
BHPian

Gboard it is. Simple & fast, swipe texting is a God send.
superbad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 09:53   #20
BANNED

Swiftkey and GBoard (for regional language). Strangely swiftkey does not support Gujarati typing on ios while it is supported on android.
Old 11th December 2020, 10:09   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Have people here, who have voted for GBOARD, even tried Swiftkey or any other third party keyboard?
Quote:
Originally Posted by superbad View Post
Gboard it is. Simple & fast, swipe texting is a God send.
Case in point. All of them (may be some OEM apps don't) have swiping text as a feature. :-)
binand is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 10:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

SwiftKey all the way. Yet to see a keyboard which is more intuitive, easy to type, forgiving, error correcting and not-having-to-type-spacebar between every word. Even Gboard doesn't come close.

The most compelling factor for me to start using this keyboard was that there is no need to type space bar after every other word. The Keyboard intelligently inserts spaces and magically turns the gibberish you typed into words as you type. I would not be comfortable to switch to any other keyboard that makes me type spacebar in between words.

I have really made efforts to switch other Keyboards like the GBoard, to make sure that I am not missing out, however, Gboard never impressed me. It is difficult to type in Gboard compared to SwiftKey, at least for me.

SwiftKey's tolerance to your typing errors (spelling mistakes) and lack of precision (of where you tap) is super amazing. It is like the keyboard knows what is in your mind already.

Smartphone user from 2011, SwiftKey user from 2011.

Here are my typing stats for the last 5 months:
Your favourite smartphone keyboard-key2.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 11th December 2020 at 10:41.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 12:02   #23
BHPian

Voted for GBoard.

I was a SwiftKey user for a long time, almost since 2011.
In fact it was the first app I actually paid for.

Was enjoying the SwiftKey experience.
I type languages other than English phonetically, so over the years SwiftKey was filled with many words. So much that I started noticing a slowdown and inaccuracy coming. It used to take multiple tries to get a word right.
Also SwiftKey used to get slow when typing long sentences.

Last year switched to GBoard just to give it a try.
Liked its lightweight nature and the accuracy is pretty good. Also GBoard has some simple but very effective features which I found were better in the long run than SwiftKey.
For e.g. suppose I mis-swiped a word, I can just tap anywhere within the word and GBoard would provide options. When I select any option it replaced the entire word unlike SwiftKey which used to put a new word right in the middle of a word

I do miss the crazy sentence learning of SwiftKey though. Just type one word and SwiftKey would most likely guess what we were going to type. At times I finished complete sentences just by using SwiftKey's suggestions. GBoard is nowhere as close but getting better.

And GBoard has this annoying problem of occasionally not triggering swipe unless the word is more than a few characters long.

Still using GBoard. Lets see how long this one holds out.
arijitkanrar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 13:17   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

I've been a Swiftkey user since late 2010 or early 2011 on my Androids and iOS phones till today. I've also used Swype and the default KBs too. But no other soft keyboard matches the sheer 'intelligence' of Swiftkey. This one is a keeper regardless of MS now owning it or not.
R2D2 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 13:28   #25
BHPian

Using Gboard ever since I started using Android phones. Its simple, elegant, and the autocorrect works fine too. In addition, I am not a big fan of OEM keyboards.
Old 11th December 2020, 14:29   #26
Sen
BHPian

I used fleksy for the longest time on my OnePlus 3T/OnePlus 6, but they sold their company to some other party, and their quality drastically dropped after that. It started delaying inputs and some other niggles. The world record for the fastest typing on a phone was set on it! Alas.

Now I'm very happy with SwiftKey, and voted for it.
Old 11th December 2020, 16:52   #27
BHPian

Voted for Swiftkey.
Like may have mentioned, its the first app I paid for on the Play Store when I got my first Android. Over the years of usage, it learned what I type, how I type and what specific words I type in a row - making the overall experience much better.

I ported the app to my iPhone SE I got a few years ago and the experience was way smooth. Esp. with the 4" screen - swiping on the screen for typing is something that I've gotten used to.

Shifted to the iPhone 12 mini today and have held back on installing Swiftkey just to explore the option of the stock keyboard. Going to give myself a few weeks before I download Swiftkey again.
Old 11th December 2020, 16:59   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Have people here, who have voted for GBOARD, even tried Swiftkey or any other third party keyboard? (Assuming since lot of people dont change default).

This survey will be biased towards default applications and wont be fair on tools like swiftkey.
I had swiftkey before. Infact had bought it long back and it was good. But from last 3-4 years, I have gone back to Gboard because of its multiligual prediction support. Never felt like need of another keyboard.

This is similar to Nova Launcher prime. I used to be on that launcher always. But after shifting to One plus never felt need to go to Nova launcher
ottocycle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2020, 17:15   #29

I have loved the Apple Keyboard and have used only that. I have used android phones for short intervals.. In fact my personal device is an iPhone whereas the office phone is an android. But the iphone keyboard is incomparable in terms of auto-correct, size, predictability, etc. I am annoyed with samsung or google keyboards - they don't even pick the name that is in my contact list.
Old 11th December 2020, 20:54   #30
BHPian

I use GBoard, which is OEM keyboard in my Android One smartphone, since it is flexible and straightforward enough for my typing requirements. I don't type using swipe in keyboards.

I checked out Fleksy keyboard in Play Store after hearing about it from the poll, and it seems interesting. I'll try it out and see for myself.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks