Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2020, 12:42   #16
BHPian

Re: The Dumb-Phone Thread

I got the Nokia 3310 for exactly this reason! I put my primary sim I this dumb phone and use the secondary sim in my iPhone. My screen time has come down significantly.

The 3310 is excellent, decent call quality, even basic Internet if you need it, great for calls and texts, and the best thing is that it gives 6-7 days of battery life. Also as someone above mentioned it supports Bluetooth and even has a basic camera.
Old 13th December 2020, 13:09   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Don't buy an unknown Chinese brand. In India, you will not get support even for the second most popular brand, let alone an unknown brand.
Not gonna go with that brand unless someone here gives any positive review about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawdgawd View Post
I have been using the Nokia 105 too here in Goa.
Only complaint is the slightly old style, limited UI that slows things down - like when having to delete many SMSes at one shot etc.
Don’t care about the old styling, that’s how feature phones need to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatingCanvas View Post
The Nokia 105/110 series has a good looking screen and soft touch-feel buttons. But the material used for the button doesn't last long, especially the navigation button in the middle. It is the common one for navigating options as well as the "ok" button to select the options. After a few months of regular usage, the button wears down and makes the usage difficult.

And do avoid getting local/unestablished brands. The warranty/support aside, the radiation levels can be hazardous, not to mention the possibility of exploding batteries. Their QC would be pathetic and would be hard to hold anyone accountable.
Thanks for pointing out this downside of the 105/110. Will surely consider the Samsung. Office restriction etc. is also another reason why people would want to buy a DumbPhone in 2020.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meerkat View Post
Jio has been pushing to kill off 2G for a while, so that is likely to happen soon enough. Even BSNL believes that if it has any future, it would be in 4G and beyond (and the govt. isn't even allowing them 4G nationwide)! Apparently the govt. is intent on killing off BSNL as well, -- going by my own experience with the drastic fall in BSNL's service quality across circles in recent times. I don't think that "BSNL works everywhere around the country" is a given anymore!

So, you may buy a 2G phone "built like a tank" now, that would probably last you a lifetime, ... as a paperweight!
Don’t care about the service provider. I could use any other sim if I like.

The government are the people who are pushing contact tracing, UPI etc. I made it clear how much I care about my privacy and my data (and others should too), that being the primary reason for my upcoming feature phone purchase. Besides most of India’s mobile phone users are those using Feature Phones. I guess the government might kill 2G feature phones and replace them with J*O Phones or similar. Then they can continue to track feature phone users as well. I know that it is going to be very hard for our generation to protect our privacy and freedom. Besides, this feature phone won’t really replace my smartphone, but it will minimise my smartphone usage and not over complicate my life with unnecessary apps and tracking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
For that reason, I advice you to buy a Nokia.
Another advantage of having a dumbphone is that its like an extra layer of security, especially for bank transactions. All OTPs come on the dumb phone, so even if the smartphone is hacked or something my, Nobody is getting my OTPs. Yes, it makes life a little more difficult but I think its worth the hassle.
Dumb phones shouls last you many years, not just 2.
Thanks! Security of transactions and OTPs is another of the pros of a feature phone. All of you are pointing out more and more reasons as to why a feature phone is necessary even in 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR96 View Post
If you are want to look at cheaper options then consider Lava A1
Price: ₹900, Rated 4.2 on Flipkart by around 80k buyers.
https://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/fea...?sid=tyy%2C4io

If you want better battery backup at ₹1100 then consider Lava A3
Has 1750 mAh battery and is rated 4.2 on Flipkart by 14k buyers
https://www.flipkart.com/mobiles/fea...?sid=tyy%2C4io
I checked out a MarQ (Flipkart brand phone) on the list. It has some good reviews. What do you think of that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildsdi5530 View Post
Is there any dumb phone with WhatsApp only? and a decent quality screen. Battery life should be good.
See, I wouldn’t recommend a dumbphone with WhatsApp. You’d end up spending a long time on its 2” screen and would damage your eyes. The keyboard too will be hard to text with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EightSix View Post

A bigger reason why we are going back to a feature phone is this, infact it is the most important. Almost everyone these days has smartphones and all utilities are managed with our smartphone. We are in the digital age but the power of technology is now being used to manipulate us. Especially contact tracing apps. Privacy is a joke these days. Thanks to these 6” pieces of glass seen in everyone’s hands, we are slowly transitioning into the Orwellian dystopia. We are not paying merely the 300 rupee telecom bill; that is not the real cost we are paying. The real cost is that we are sacrificing our liberty. Apps these days are being forced onto us by school, workplaces, governments and even gated communities and for a little perceived convenience, we are sacrificing our liberty and allowing us to be tracked.

These days, data is the new oil and we are being milked for it till the last drop. Now, you might say that I’m a luddite to have these views but no. I too believe that smartphones are an indispensable part of our lives, and as a teenager I can’t live without it either. However I’m trying to limit mine and my family’s smartphone usage as much as possible. This is the most important reason as to why we feel a need to buy a dumb phone soon.
Quoting this as it is an important reason that you all might have overlooked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi5868 View Post
Buying a feature phone is a necessity for some, all the more if you decide to give the grueling IIT/NEET in the coming years(those who know, know). This Nokia here should suit all your requirements,I know for a fact that I just see my grandpa's phone charging once a week. Although his usage might be lesser than yours but get the picture.
Thanks! I already gave up social media (Instagram, Snapchat, WhatsApp etc.) for I’m in the ninth grade. Next year, it might be my smartphone. This is also a reason for a feature phone purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Come on, these days we need to keep the hare-brained apps like Arogya Setu on our phones.
No knowing when the high and mighty local police-walla decides to imprison you charging you with IPC307 for not carrying these prestigious apps on your phone.
Why take this risk and carry a dumb phone?
I get the sarcasm but it’s not like they are going to force all people in rural areas who have feature phones or even those who have no phones at all to carry the app. A phone is not a necessity of life like food, water and house, clothes. That is why also another reason why I’m gonna get a feature phone just to avoid tracking while I still can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cessna182 View Post
I don't shop using apps as I've noticed that they track everything from your location to your voice calls. A basic phone with just one or two apps would be ideal for a lot of people. I've seen many people use a basic phone for calls as they think it is more secure and it has a better battery life than any of the most expensive phones today.
I agree with you, 100%. Everything these days needs an app and you have no choice but to surrender your privacy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nokia 3310

There are always subtle nuances - responsiveness on texts, SMS size, color of screen, feel etc. You can pair it with bluetooth and take calls etc - the convenience of the additional 2k is totally worth it for ALL readers of this forum.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
For senior citizens who find scroll navigation tough, I recommend a basic 2-3 gb RAM smartphone with such homescreen:

Having all useful apps on homescreen with big buttons really seems to be the best way to interact with the phones for non techies.
I did this to my grandma’s cheap smartphone before it broke and we replaced it with a Motorola FW200L. Thanks for posting it here for it might be a great alternative for elderly people who are looking for a dumbphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Dude, that is called smartphone
That still remains debatable whether to call it a dumbphone or not.

So I am posting this question here again so that you don’t miss it.
Quote:
I found this phone by Flipkart Brand MarQ. Do you have any reviews or opinions on it? Should I buy it? https://www.flipkart.com/marq-flipka...color&st=color

Last edited by EightSix : 13th December 2020 at 13:12.
EightSix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 14:24   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I checked out a MarQ (Flipkart brand phone) on the list. It has some good reviews. What do you think of that?
MarQ is a brand by Flipkart selling many products like TV, AC, Refrigerator, Washing Machine , Mobile Phone etc. They are relatively new products and their reliability is unknown. Consider brands which solely manufactures phones and which are well established.

After reading specifications and reviews of Marq phone came to know that they had higher features compared to rivals but we need to focus on reliability and build quality rather than features. Also reviews suggested that even if they had higher battery capacity, it took around 5 hours to charge.

I suggest you to go with Lava or Micromax if you are looking for cheaper options.
RR96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 14:39   #19
BHPian

Quote:
We are buying a feature phone....
Are there any reasons for not choosing a landline?
whitewing is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 17:21   #20
BHPian

I got the banana phone 8110 4G. The UI and buttons are terrible to use. It’s mostly lying unused. Nokia 3310 feels good but won’t take a Jio sim or have 4G.

I would suggest going to a physical store and trying them out- most dumb phones are sold offline only. A lot of Samsung gurus are also still available and have been good phones.

Check Bluetooth connectivity beforehand if it is important. Many don’t connect seamlessly.

If you want to make some effort, check US websites- I got a couple of rugged Samsung flip phones and they have lasted 4-5 years.

Last edited by vikramvicky1984 : 13th December 2020 at 17:24.
vikramvicky1984 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 18:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

I know people in defence in whose office smartphones were banned. They used a basic samsung. The only issue was that sound was so bad. One could hear his own voice echoing in the audio!!!

So it is a very valid use case. OP can try to find old Nokia bulletproof phones on ebay.

Last edited by download2live : 13th December 2020 at 18:36.
download2live is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 19:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I wouldn’t recommend a dumbphone with WhatsApp. You’d end up spending a long time on its 2” screen and would damage your eyes. The keyboard too will be hard to text with.
WhatsApp is on the laptop and rarely used on mobile. Need WhatsApp on a Feature phone because many people use WhatsApp to call from their wifi networks in Bengaluru. SIM connectivity in most areas is extremely patchy.
Also for the rare emergency message.

The Only things I use my iPhone are call, WhatsApp and camera. Don't really need all the other apps. And would love to charge once in a week.
wildsdi5530 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 19:26   #23
BHPian

Very good thread. I had experimented it since smart phone is a distraction. The best part is that, feature phones will give you that exclusivity. I got a lot of attention in my office. Everyone was enquiring about features, checking it out. These days, if you buy a smartphone, nobody will care. I had bought https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_in/nokia-216-dual-sim . Its a very good phone.
But I switched back to smart phone again. Because its very difficult to live without a web browser. ( Feature phones do have 2g internet. But very slow)
Btw Nokia introduced a lot of new phones this year. 215 4g, 125, 150 etc. My suggestion is not buy the usual nokia 105, Samsung guru etc. Buy one of those new feature phones. You would love it.
adithya.kp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 19:34   #24
BHPian

Don't buy the latest model Nokia 105. Sound quality is very bad, it sounds like a tin. I bought one during lockdown and since a dumb phone is my primary phone, I had to buy a better phone. I am ready to give away 105 to someone.

I bought the latest model Nokia 150 and strongly recommend it. Sound quality is very good. Flash light is better than 105, keypad is bigger and font size is easy to read. Radio works without a headphone. Form factor is almost like a smartphone.

It doesn't support VO LTE SIM card, like Jio.

P.S: If anyone is interested in understanding OP's concerns in depth, please watch the docudrama The Social Dilemma.

Last edited by Romins : 13th December 2020 at 19:47. Reason: more info
Romins is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 20:13   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by adithya.kp View Post
Very good thread.
But I switched back to smart phone again. Because its very difficult to live without a web browser. ( Feature phones do have 2g internet. But very slow)
Btw Nokia introduced a lot of new phones this year. 215 4g, 125, 150 etc. My suggestion is not buy the usual nokia 105, Samsung guru etc. Buy one of those new feature phones. You would love it.
I agree on the feature phone part. I tried this in the past, but generally put-off by the sound and build quality of the dumbphones. They are nowhere near the build quality of the old Nokias.

How does the 4G enabled Nokia 3310 work people's requirment?

I personally believe that there is a serious market in India for a phone like Punkt MP01 or the Light Phone at a more economical price.
lalgudi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:22   #26
BHPian

I would go for a Nokia or Samsung keypad phone without batting an eyelid. They are solidly build.

I currently have a Samsung Guru Music Duos that I use as a backup phone. It has 2 SIM, expandable memory with a card and FM. Does not have a camera. Has fallen many times, once even in water (I removed it immediately and kept it to dry) - has survived. I think in feature phones, the openable back cover and removable battery work like a crumple zone in car - absorbing all the energy. When it falls, the cover opens up and battery falls out all separate. All one needs to do is to assemble them again, start the phone, update date & time and good to go.

On a lighter note, these phones can be used as projectiles to hurt someone - like a thief trying to steal something more important. LOL
aashishnb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th December 2020, 21:51   #27
BHPian

A dumb phone is a de facto requirement for a good bunch of offshore based services companies. My company provides the same for employees who can carry those into the work centers. In a city like Pune, asking a mobile vendor for the most popular ODC phone brings out the best of the lot. While most phones have removable batteries, I will suggest to invest in a spare battery as well.
mmxylorider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:01   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doxinboy View Post
Dude, that is called smartphone
Looking for a not so smart phone I am guessing
clementw is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 11:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

Nokia still has a few feature phones on offer. You may select one fits your requirement.

https://www.nokia.com/phones/en_in/feature-phones

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
Come on, these days we need to keep the hare-brained apps like Arogya Setu on our phones.

No knowing when the high and mighty local police-walla decides to imprison you charging you with IPC307 for not carrying these prestigious apps on your phone.

Why take this risk and carry a dumb phone?
For those without 'smart' phones can still use Aarogya Setu via IVRS services.

https://pib.gov.in/PressReleasePage.aspx?PRID=1621368
HammerHead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2020, 12:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
For senior citizens who find scroll navigation tough, I recommend a basic 2-3 gb RAM smartphone with such homescreen:

Attachment 2091014
Hey ani_meher,

Which homescreen app/launcher is this?

Regards,
Jaspreet Singh
jsrakkar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks