Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: How often do you upgrade your phone?
Every year 24 5.44%
Every 2 years 97 22.00%
Every 3 years 171 38.78%
Every 4 years 84 19.05%
Every 5 years or more 65 14.74%
Voters: 441. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2021, 15:35   #76
BHPian

Re: How often do you upgrade your phone?

For an iPhone user, there's hardly any difference in a 3 year old iPhone X and the latest iPhone 12, except for some improvements in the cameras. The operating system/user interface is exactly the same, so even if you get a new one, it hardly feels like an upgrade. However, I still tend to upgrade my phone every 3 years and pass down my old handset to my kids.
manishk123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:13   #77
BHPian

Been with the trusted iPhone SE 32 GB with Apple Storage plan since 2017. Due for upgrade but then I just can't get over the nifty size that fits well in the pocket.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:15   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
Been with the trusted iPhone SE 32 GB with Apple Storage plan since 2017. Due for upgrade but then I just can't get over the nifty size that fits well in the pocket.
Do try out the iPhone 12 mini, you will be pleasantly surprised
Shiftlock is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:45   #79
BHPian

I have a 15 k or less budget for my phones and upgrade once in 5 years or wait till the phone gives up 😁.

My current phone is a sub 7k phone which serves the purpose and has good battery life.
pugram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 16:55   #80
BHPian

During the Pre & Early Smartphone era (till 2014), I used to change phones as my whims and fancies. Some would last 6 months and others could last 12 months, prices of phones were also not that high at that time. Since then I've made a practice to buy Flagship Apple model and upgrade every 3 years. So -

2014 - iPhone 6 Plus
2017 - iPhone X
2020 - iPhone 12 Pro Max

Considering how Apple increases the price of iPhones every year, I'm thinking of using my current phone for more than 3 years this time.
VJ05 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:28   #81
Senior - BHPian

Like other things I don't necessarily change my mobile phone unless it goes bad, stolen or broken. I (carefully) use my phones up to 4-5 years on an average. Also I don't believe in spending more than 20K on a phone. Given below are some of phones that I have used during the last 17 years.

1. Motorola E398: Used it from 2004 to 2007 and gave it to one my cousin who was a college student. He used it till 2010-11. The phone was a direct competitor to Nokia 6600 at that time and I went against the tide and picked up the E398. It was a multimedia phone with dual speakers and ambient lights emitting out of the speaker grill. It also had a joystick for navigating up, down, left and right. Pretty cool feature phone at that time.

2. Sony Ericsson K750i: Used it from 2007 to 2010. I consider it as the best phone I ever had. The attention to detail in design and build quality was awesome. It had a camera slider at the back which would engage the 2MP camera while opening the metal slider. It also doubled up as a camera lens protector. Loved it to the bit. Gave it to my another cousin who again was a college student. He used it for around another 2 years.

3. Nokia Xpressmusic 5800: Used it from 2010 to 2012. Android was just opening up at that time but I decided to stick with Symbian for some weird reason. Got a Sennheiser headphone worth 2500 bucks free with the phone. It was my first full screen touch display phone. Loved the Nokia Ovi maps on that phone and made full use of it. It was very reliable and robust. The display got some problem in 2012 and repair was expensive hence parted with it.

4. Lenovo P780: Used it from 2012 to 2016: My first android phone which I bought after doing a lot of research. It had a metal body (mid-range phones during that time used to have metal body). The phone started having network connectivity issues in 2016 due to some hardware issue. Got it exchanged for a new phone in 2016.

5. Lenovo Vibe K5 Note: 2016 till present. My prior experience with Lenovo phone prompted me to buy another Lenovo in 2016. Got an amazing deal on Flipkart where Lenovo P780 was exchanged for Vibe K5 Note. Surprisingly the Lenovo Vibe K5 Note too came with a metal body. I have used this phone very heavily including multimedia and GPS navigation during my rides. I am now looking at replacing it as the battery drains really fast.

6. iPhone 7: 2017. It was an office provided phone which I immediately returned as I wasn't comfortable with iOS.

I bought a Mi Redmi 1S during 2014 to be used as a SMPDGPS (Smartphone Dedicated GPS) during my rides. In addition to AGPS it also came with GLONASS which made it latch it onto satellites real quick. I still have the phone and it works flawlessly albeit given to my mother.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 19th March 2021 at 17:31.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 17:55   #82
BHPian

It depends for me, it has varied from 1 year to 4 years. I am a big phone nerd, they excite me a lot and i use them fully.

My first smart phone was sony Xperia Z , used it for a year and then my friend broke it's display, aftermarket repair and the phone started having so many issues so had to sell it off.

Then bought OnePlus One, i was blown away by the packaging box, speed, features and the price, used it for 2 years and then gave it to my mum, she used it for further 3 years, I have kept it with me with all its accessories and box.

Then I bought Oneplus 3, everything was great, fast charging, super smooth oxygen os and best performance, used it for 4 years, now my mum has been using it for the last year.

Then came OnePlus 8 pro have been using it for the last 9 month, it's a true flagship phone, great camera, great display, best performance and I am a fan of oxygen os. It has got all the features of a flagship phone and some better things as well, plus it costs less than other flagships.

Now my sister is looking for a phone with a very good camera for her small youtube channel, and I am getting very exited by the upcoming OnePlus 9 pro
So who knows, this might turn out to be the shortest duration.
yesyeswe is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:19   #83
BHPian

More than once a year for last 20 years!

Starting around 2004, gaps mean i do not remember phone model

Trium
Nokia 5110
LG RD 2030
Nokia 6630
Spice gsm dual sim
LG RD 2130

Asus p320
Htc touch
Lg pop

Iphone 3gs
Iphone 4
Blackberry z3
Iphone 6 plus

Redmi 3S Prime
Redmi 4

Htc desire 828
Samsung a5 2016

Samsung S8
Samsung Note 8

Mi Mix 2

SAMSUNG Galaxy S10e
NUU m3
Centric p3
Redmi K20 PRO

Last edited by Mohitkumaar : 19th March 2021 at 18:21.
Mohitkumaar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:39   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
At one point, I have changed phones almost every year in the sub 10k range.

Got a S9, approx 2.5 years back and holding on to it. New phones don't seem to offer anything substantial for the price demanded. Not saying they aren't technically better, just that for my usage pattern don't see the benefit.

Although it's end of the road for it with major OS upgrades, it's still eligible for monthly security patches. So will certainly cross the 3 yr mark with it.

Can I hold on to it for 5 years? Curious to find out.
Go for it man, I am sure the s9 will last 5 years. I was planning to use the s8 for 5 years, unfortunately the screen cracked and upgraded to a s10. I am planning to use the s10 for atleast 5 years. The price we pay for the latest phones are not worth(even though they're technologically better) for our daily use. It's the initial hype and then after a while you feel the experience is similar to that of the old one
rahulananda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 18:52   #85

I have found myself upgrading my phones every 2/3 years. It has been mostly OnePlus Phones though I still have a soft spot for my First smart phone- The Galaxy S2 I9100. This came for 2 to 2.5 years and I exchanged it for the LG G2, which is still my favorite phone till date. My Wife had got a Samsung Galaxy S5 which she did not like much so we swapped phones. Then I got a Oneplus 2, the next year the Oneplus 3 which lasted again for a very long time.

Once after a very long drive when the phone was plugged into the car charger and placed in the dashboard the battery started swelling so had to dispose of the battery and battery replacement was not available so got a Nokia 7Plus.
This lasted for 2 years and then I got the OnePlus 6t as a birthday gift.

A few months after that I got the OnePlus 7Pro Almond color on it's release day which is still strongly chugging along, Can happily use it for another 2 years at least. As good as new still.
ndnesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 19:32   #86
BHPian

Ahh

I can see that I am the outlier here.
Have been using a mobile from late 2000 onwards
I am on my 3rd phone as of date.

1. Panasonic GD92 - ran for 6+ years - 2000 - 2006
2. Nokia 1110 - ran for ~ 11+ years - 2006 - 2017
3. Redmi Note5Pro - 2018 - present

How often do you upgrade your phone?-panasonic-gd92.jpgHow often do you upgrade your phone?-img_20170316_110132.jpg

I use / am on the phone a lot.
Currently no plans to change the Redmi Note5Pro from my end - (fingers crossed)

Last edited by PM - B : 19th March 2021 at 19:35.
PM - B is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 19:55   #87
BANNED

Out of all the phones I have used so far, the below two phones simply refused to die:

How often do you upgrade your phone?-nokiac202all.jpg

How often do you upgrade your phone?-blackberryz10ofic11.jpg

The Nokia is quite abuse friendly, loved the BlackBerry a lot but was forced to stop using it after WhatsApp stopped supporting BlackBerry OS.

Am still having them and are still functional, just that am not using them anymore.
wheelguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 20:01   #88
Senior - BHPian

Voted for 5 or more
I replace only when they start having issues which aren't solvable or become excruciatingly slow to use.

I stick to stock UI as much as possible.
Currently using a 3+ years old Pixel 2, still preforms like new barring the expected dip in battery backup. So this will go on till it can, should easily cross the 5 year mark.

Last edited by shancz : 19th March 2021 at 20:02. Reason: compacted
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 20:20   #89
BHPian

With iphone 12 out there, wife is on 7, kids on 6S and I have an 8 (only because my 6s screen cracked). So yes, not into upgrades unless essential and all these are refurbished ones. There are plenty of reputable sellers and why not go the certified pre-owned route for phones?
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2021, 20:55   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
How often do you upgrade your phone?

The million dollar question for our generation!

I have a 4yr old Oneplus 5 that im still using.
Boy o boy. Even I've been using OnePlus 5 since its launch almost 4 years ago. And the very same idea of opening a thread like this has been there in back of my mind for some time. Just didn't get the time and effort and then you did it and happen to have the same phone.

It's super fast and efficient as before. Only change is battery life which is about 75% compared to a new ones performance. I'm having the thought to retain this phone as long as possible with a battery change in future.

I've used the OnePlus one for about 3+ years when it was available with invite system and now with OnePlus 5 another 4 years. The OnePlus phones are so well specced and well built at launch that they're still capable after 4 years. Never hanged and gave any sorts of trouble.
littlebrother is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks