Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th April 2021, 10:08   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by John P Daniel View Post
For serious music listening, i use Fiio M3K as usb DAC and feed it to my custom built 2.2 stereo setup.
2.2? Two woofers? Or is it a quad speaker setup? Please post pics
Old 29th April 2021, 11:01   #47
Senior - BHPian

IMO most desktop and laptops have pretty bad sound cards/DACs for audio. So even an entry level external DAC will bring out a lot of quality connected via USB. These DACs usually have RCA or 3.5 output jacks to connect to anything that suits your budget after that.
SPARKled is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2021, 12:30   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Hi

What are you using for good quality sound on your home pc set up?

I have spent considerable amount of time and resources for getting good dedicated home theatre setup with 2.0 for dedicate stereo listening. So my two cents.

Who connects wired setup to desktop? Even bluetooth streaming would be inferior due to various latencies in desktop PC. So I suggest following setup.

Macbook ecosystem for the airplay. Low latency dedicated router setup. You don't need costly amplifier. Choose from Yamaha HT lineup. You need good two way floor standing speakers for full reproduction of audio range. Last but no the least is impotence of room calibration. It is must to bring coherence between speaker amplifier and room.
Old 29th April 2021, 13:46   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IP_Man View Post

Who connects wired setup to desktop?
Sorry for the selective quote, but i do
Old 1st May 2021, 02:41   #50
BANNED

Well, I just did an impulse buying for JBL Professional 104 (BT version I guess) https://www.flipkart.com/jbl-profess...m7c5820c670603. They were undergoing sale for just 5k. I tossed some cheap stationary stuff along with the same to get 10% more discount. So effective price of 4.5k.

This despite having a bose soundlink III. Have I made a good decision here? Will JBL Profressional 104 BT will sound better then bose soundlink III? Could not find any comparison online. I still have 24 hours to cancel my order though.
Old 1st May 2021, 11:47   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
2.2? Two woofers? Or is it a quad speaker setup? Please post pics
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-img_20210501_10221801.jpegIt's a double sub-woofer design. Sealed sub capable of going as low as 45hz. It is run by custom-built 4 channel amplifier.
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-img_20210501_10184101.jpeg The front speakers are customised for vocal biased sound output. The tweeters are angles for soft treble sound.
John P Daniel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2021, 22:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottocycle View Post
Well, I just did an impulse buying for JBL Professional 104 (BT version I guess) https://www.flipkart.com/jbl-profess...m7c5820c670603. They were undergoing sale for just 5k. I tossed some cheap stationary stuff along with the same to get 10% more discount. So effective price of 4.5k.

This despite having a bose soundlink III. Have I made a good decision here? Will JBL Profressional 104 BT will sound better then bose soundlink III? Could not find any comparison online. I still have 24 hours to cancel my order though.
You will enjoy them. I have a single powered speaker of JBL Control 2p. Quite good.
kotirajendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 00:26   #53
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotirajendra View Post
You will enjoy them. I have a single powered speaker of JBL Control 2p. Quite good.
While buying I didn't know if they will be connected to my desktop (x570 Tomahawk wifi motherboard) out of box. Now that I am reading, two things now, a DAC and an audio interface. Will that be important to get to have the expected sound. Should I go for audio interface, if I have to buy a music keyboard in future?

Pardon me if I am not making much sense here. I am just randomly getting introduced to these terms because I ordered something that supports more inputs than regular aux and bluetooth.

Which DAC or audio interfaces are recommended that will not break the bank. Btw, my motherboard also has a SPDIF output port, but seems like JBL 104BT doesn't has these as input.

Last edited by ottocycle : 2nd May 2021 at 00:41.
Old 2nd May 2021, 10:11   #54
BHPian

Quote:
While buying I didn't know if they will be connected to my desktop (x570 Tomahawk wifi motherboard) out of box. Now that I am reading, two things now, a DAC and an audio interface. Will that be important to get to have the expected sound. Should I go for audio interface, if I have to buy a music keyboard in future? .
All depends on the usage pattern and level of seriousness accompanying it. DAC in lay man terms is a sound card. Sound waves are analog but computer stores and processes them as digital (0 and 1). So for recording you need an intermediate device that will convert Analog to Digital , its called ADC . Conversely for playback another device/circuit to covert the digital signal to analog wave that can be amplified and fed to speaker. This device is called Digital to Analog converter or DAC. The experience and quality (among other things) depend on how good or with what fidelity this conversion is being done.
My setup:
  1. Dedicated audio:
    Purpose: Living room audio. I want really good quality music at a decent budget. Being able to hear distinct sounds in the music, the voice of the singer in high fidelity and the overall sound stage lifts my spirits and makes me very happy.
    Setup: NAD C-715 with PSB Alpha B1 speakers. The best music that I have heard from this system is with the built in CD player.
    Asus Xonar U7 is the USB DAC for audio from Rasberry Pi/old laptop. BTW, Xonar U2 would have worked wonderfully as well. Its cost me around around 7k or less at that time.
    The next best experience is with FLAC ripped from CD and almost equivalent is 320 kbps MP3. Again all depends on what was used for this conversion.
    I use chromecast audio for streaming music from my cell phone. For me, Wynk is the best in terms of quality. Amazon is least. Streaming is the most convenient way to listen to music. Chromecast is OK, but still doesn't compare with FLAC played over Asus Xonar.
    For some I had converted a Rasberry PI to an Apple Airplay receiver, before my son took it away . No rocket science there. The instructions to install and configure the software are readily available and well documented. The resultant chain Iphone with Wynk > Rasberry Pi (as Apple Airplay receiver) > Xonar U7 > Nad works way better than Chromecast Audio.
    Point to note is that in this setup, the quality of all the components are more or less balanced. Without a DAC, NAD and PSB are of no use. Without NAD and PSB, you wont be able to make out the difference between Wynk or Amazon or for that matter between Chromecast or U7. Chromecast is quite good mind you.
    I have also noticed that in general the headphone audio output of iPhone and iPad sound very good when amplified with my Nad. You dont need any external DAC in this case.
  2. TV
    Purpose: Better audio with movies or singing reality shows. I am not a big TV buff and use is occasional.
    Setup: I have an old mini hifi stereo - Akai AWP-ZP5 (bought in clearance sale for 5K) that is dedicated for this. You cannot connect the headphone out of the TV directly to this because the TV will default to headphone when it detects the plug. So I bought a FiiO D03k Optical DAC to convert the digital optical output of the TV to an analog signal that the Akai could handle. This setup works beautifully well for me. For movies a woofer is required but frankly I don't miss it. In any case nobody in the family allows me to turn up the volume.
  3. Desktop
    Purpose: School from home for my son. I am a firm believer that a good experience results in better outcomes . Also light music while working.
    Setup: Single powered speaker of JBL Control 2p connected to headphone out of desktop. Desktop space is limited hence was looking for something small but not crappy. Was very lucky to find this single powered speaker (normally available as a pair) on a sale. The output when connected from the motherboard headphone out is quite similar to that from Asus U7. However the difference might be more noticeable when connected to a pair of the speakers. As the purpose is primarily for school from home or light background audio when working on the computer, there is practically no sense is complicating the setup. In my opinion, unless your amp and speakers aren't high end, the output of the motherboard is decent enough and a DAC is not required. To emphasize, Desktop motherboard DAC atleast with Intel is quite decent; not so with laptop. Even so an internal sound card is a budget option compared to branded external DACs.

Quote:
Pardon me if I am not making much sense here. I am just randomly getting introduced to these terms because I ordered something that supports more inputs than regular aux and bluetooth.
I hope the above detailed explanation with example setups helped.

Quote:
Which DAC or audio interfaces are recommended that will not break the bank. Btw, my motherboard also has a SPDIF output port, but seems like JBL 104BT doesn't has these as input.
As I explained, everything depends on the usage pattern. Since you are going to use over bluetooth, the powered speaker already has an inbuilt DAC and I am sure you will like the sound. If you want audiophile level output then you will have to do more than worry about a DAC.
For recording music with your keyboard, first check if the mic in of the motherboard is sufficient. Else check at bajaoo.com for ADC that will connect both your keyboard ,other instruments as well as mic for recording songs .

Last edited by kotirajendra : 2nd May 2021 at 10:15. Reason: purpose for desktop
kotirajendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2021, 13:03   #55
BANNED

Quote:

I hope the above detailed explanation with example setups helped.
Thanks for the very detailed response on this. I did get a lot of information from above.

Quote:
As I explained, everything depends on the usage pattern. Since you are going to use over bluetooth, the powered speaker already has an inbuilt DAC and I am sure you will like the sound. If you want audiophile level output then you will have to do more than worry about a DAC.
In living room, I have YSP 1600 soundbar connected taking input from laptop (that works for all multimedia/lazy browing). The connection is via HDMI with video as HDMI passthrough to TV. This serves the purpose good enough for me.

In my OWH setup, I was using Bose soundlink III connected via bluetooth for music and meetings. This is the setup that I wanted to see if JBL 104BT can help improve from current setup. I was thinking of not using bluetooth for JBL 104BT and was thinking of having it wired. Without DAC, do you suggest to connect it via 3.5mm to 3.5mm AUX cable or 3.5mm to RCA cable. Which one would be better sounding?

Below are my motherboards output ports
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-product_6_20200326100100_5e7c0cdc93ca1.png

Last edited by ottocycle : 2nd May 2021 at 13:12.
Old 2nd May 2021, 16:39   #56
BHPian

Quote:

In my OWH setup, I was using Bose soundlink III connected via bluetooth for music and meetings. This is the setup that I wanted to see if JBL 104BT can help improve from current setup. I was thinking of not using bluetooth for JBL 104BT and was thinking of having it wired. Without DAC, do you suggest to connect it via 3.5mm to 3.5mm AUX cable or 3.5mm to RCA cable. Which one would be better sounding?
From my experience, it will not matter.
Old 5th May 2021, 12:28   #57
BANNED

Quote:
From my experience, it will not matter.
Thanks for answering all my queries. Assembled the speakers (JBL 104 BT) today and connected it to PC via included 3.5mm to RCA cable. I must say it is a considerable upgrade to my OWH setup from current Bose soundlink III.

The sound is more crisp and clear and has plenty of base to my liking. I plan to keep bose one as well for meetings as I think I don't need proper stereo feel for listening to meetings.

Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-img_mjl__20210505_064541764.jpg
Extension Speaker
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-img_mjl__20210505_064711720.jpg
Master Speaker
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-img_mjl__20210505_064853503.jpg
Old 5th May 2021, 16:14   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Pictures

Full desk
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-20210505_160850.jpg

RHS, positioned behind the AKG Lyra
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-20210505_160912.jpg

LHS with the Creative SoundBlaster G3 DAC+Amp (Sound is good. Absolutely no regrets buying it. Perhaps paid 1k more)
Good quality sound on PC | Soundbar?-20210505_160858.jpg

I use it purely as a wired set-up. I connect the Bose headset, if needed, to the AKG as it ensures there is no lag.

Last edited by sridhu : 5th May 2021 at 16:16.
Old 5th May 2021, 21:08   #59
BHPian

Great. Do share with us ,the difference in sound quality with and without sound card.
Old 6th May 2021, 07:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Great. Do share with us ,the difference in sound quality with and without sound card.
Dont think I can share mp3 here. Happy to. Otherwise. However, I do suspect ultimately the differences will get masked over by the various compressions along the way.

You are better off checking the sound quality on sound cloud based reviews.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks