Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2021, 17:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Why you must invest in a smartwatch if you want to be fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
How accurate are the Bp and O2 level readings? Can one rely on them?
How do these readings compare with your BP machine and Oximeter ?
Old 19th September 2021, 18:34   #17

Couple of years ago I got myself a Fitbit Charge 3 and the wife got an Inspire HR. We both were motivated for few weeks looking at the new gadgets and were completing 10,000 steps everyday. After a few weeks, we occassionally used to forget to wear them after bath and slowly it became so bad that it became a chore and annoyance just to wear and complete the daily targets. We even discussed it between ourselves and concluded that we were a bunch of lazy asses.

Fast forward 2 years, I gifted her the Apple Watch on a special occasion since she also had an iPhone. Apple Watch has the concept of closing activity rings for calories, standing and exercise. It has been about 6 months now since she had the Apple watch and in the past 4 months there is only 1 or 2 days when she couldn't close at least the outer calories ring. She is so motivated that even if it is 11PM, she would go for a walk just to close her rings.

This is when I realised that a device just counting steps wasn't enough, a proper motivating UX is crucial for a lazy bum like me. I'm also now thinking of getting an iPhone just to have an Apple Watch (and getting locked into the Apple ecosystem ).
StrikerK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 18:50   #18

Apple Watch has appealed to me for a while, but the thought of yet another device to charge makes me give up on the prospect of buying it. The last time I went out for watch shopping, I ended up buying a Tissot.
piiyush21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 19:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

er won't any smart watch with a subscription to strava or heck even google fit be enough for that?
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 20:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by piiyush21 View Post
but the thought of yet another device to charge makes me give up on the prospect of buying it.
I am in the same boat as you. I am actually waiting for an Apple Watch which doesn't have to be charged daily. Also, waiting for a full fledged sleep tracking feature.

Apple Watch 6 cannot be used for sleep tracking since it would have to be charged overnight. But in Apple Watch 7, there is fast charge option which gives 8 hrs of sleep tracking with just 8 minutes of charging, it is still a workaround according to me. If am putting in a cost of a laptop in a watch, Apple better fix this charging and sleep tracking issues in a better way.
Old 19th September 2021, 22:11   #21
BHPian

From all the online reviews I have seen on smartwatches, only Apple, Samsung and Fitbit (not so much now as the devices are due for an update and the competition has moved on) have the best hardware-software optimisation for fitness-related tasks. In addition to fitness features, they give you a proper smartwatch experience with better notification handling, better design, great displays, proper GPS support to track your runs accurately, more apps etc. The extra money spent will be well worth it.

So if you want an overall very good smartwatch, stick to Apple and Samsung. With Galaxy Watch 4 series, Samsung and Google finally collaborated and you are going to get the best of Tizen and Wear OS platforms. The Galaxy Watch 4 has some good launch offers to the tune of 9000 right now on the Samsung India store.

Here's a very good video review of the new Galaxy Watch 4:

Recommending Galaxy Watch 4 over Apple Watch because it does slightly better than Apple Watch in fitness-related tasks, data presentation and gives you an additional day of battery life as well. But if we consider all the aspects, Apple Watch still edges ahead slightly because of its superior software experience but if you are using an android phone, Galaxy Watch has to be the default choice.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 19th September 2021 at 22:15.
klgiridhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrules View Post
I own a Samsung Gear S3 watch and it automatically detects works-outs and leasure steps. If you start a walking workout, it will bring in the GPS to map it, however if you have just been walking then after a few minutes it identifies that you are walking and continues to add to your "active" step count. Maybe good to have both monitored .
That’s exactly what is flawed in my opinion. What’s the point of adding steps when you are not exercising. Leisure steps, doing nothing, like walking around the house (while wearing the gadget) is a wrong indicator. There is no value added to your workout just because more steps are added, it’s cheating or kidding yourself. If the gadget can differentiate by showing two different statistics for the same day, like exercise steps and idle steps (or some name like that) only then it’s fine.

The Apple Watch method seems logically to be the correct/accurate indicator even if it adds a couple of extra button presses.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th September 2021, 22:47   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
How do these readings compare with your BP machine and Oximeter ?
I don't have either. When I check Bp at the cardiologist clinic it is usually around 130/85 or 135/90. In the smartwatch it is always around 108/70 or 110/75.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th September 2021 at 22:48.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 00:32   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by klgiridhar View Post

So if you want an overall very good smartwatch, stick to Apple and Samsung. With Galaxy Watch 4 series, Samsung and Google finally collaborated and you are going to get the best of Tizen and Wear OS platforms. The Galaxy Watch 4 has some good launch offers to the tune of 9000 right now on the Samsung India store.
How can oneget the 9K offer? There is a card offer of 3K . How else the rest 6K can be saved?

Last edited by nibedk : 20th September 2021 at 00:32. Reason: Correction
Old 20th September 2021, 00:58   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibedk View Post
How can oneget the 9K offer? There is a card offer of 3K . How else the rest 6K can be saved?
I think they have removed it now. The last time I visited the site, a few weeks back, it was there. But, as far as I remember, the 6k was not a direct cash discount, but you get a 6k store e-voucher which can be used to get 6k discount on select products on the Samsung store, say the latest Galaxy Buds 2 etc.

Last edited by klgiridhar : 20th September 2021 at 00:59.
Old 20th September 2021, 10:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post
That’s exactly what is flawed in my opinion. What’s the point of adding steps when you are not exercising. Leisure steps, doing nothing, like walking around the house (while wearing the gadget) is a wrong indicator. There is no value added to your workout just because more steps are added, it’s cheating or kidding yourself. If the gadget can differentiate by showing two different statistics for the same day, like exercise steps and idle steps (or some name like that) only then it’s fine.

The Apple Watch method seems logically to be the correct/accurate indicator even if it adds a couple of extra button presses.

Cheers
I am unsure what you are trying to point out as flawed in your opinion. I mentioned that Samsung watch does both and is very good in identifying leasure vs active (even if you forget to press a button). It full statistics of your activities (manually chosen or auto-identified) and total activity time (which you do agree as fine).

Also just to add that depending on the current activity level of people, these leasure steps also can matter to someone and is not just a pure waste/cheating/kidding. I know people who will not even move 1000 leasure steps a day and any such tracker helps them get out of that rut. Once you get serious, you need a serious tracker.

It's great that you have got the gadget you like and it works for you :-). My intention to post about the specific one that I have is just for info that someone might find useful before purchase of a new device.
xrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:06   #27
Senior - BHPian

They say 'new accessories always motivate sportsmen'. But, few of us are really sportsmen. So, if a smartwatch or a fitbit is motivating us to keep fit, then we are terribly on the wrong side of everything related to fitness. I have hardly seen any device that shows accurate information. Its in the marketing.

A simple jog, or a weekend intense workout or a good game with friends along with balanced diet is all that is required to stay fit and happy. I am vehemently against the '10000 steps/day will keep you fit' theory. It's pure marketing by global brands endorsed by some scientists. Try walking 10K steps everyday for 6 months and see if you have made any progress on your body. You will not. You need to manage your diet, that is the key. Smart watches are simply devices that help us glare and give us more screen time. I find it really difficult to understand how people can keep looking at their smart watches or mobiles while working out or playing. I personally think all gadgets should be kept aside while working out. A simple smart watch with basics like steps count, time and speed of a person would be more than enough. And smart watches detecting heart attacks is a little exaggerated, I don't believe they can do anything beyond counting steps (they don't that well too, even BPM is barely correct most of the times).

Invest a little (as little as 5 to 7K) on an MP3 player (yes, SONY still sells them). Have some upbeat music or peppy songs and you will do just fine. I wouldn't use a mobile to listen to songs too. A call in between will take away the pleasure of working out altogether. A workout is fun when you find it difficult to start but have thoroughly enjoyed it while you are done!
Raghu M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 11:07   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg View Post

Cheers
Totally agree with you. 10K steps without intensity is just plain kidding ourselves. You never lose weight.
Old 20th September 2021, 12:54   #29
BHPian

Ok. Let me share my story for the few that may found it interesting. It is always about a start for me. I had a sedentary lifestyle. A couch potato would be the right term and I was a potato at 120Kgs. It all started with 10K a day steps on a pedometer which fools you if you are driving in a car and keeps counting. But it is a start that brought me out of the couch to get some goal. Some may not believe but yes there is significant boost in my activity levels and started feeling fitter. Now that inspires for a better gadget and I moved to a fitness band (say the likes of MI bands) which are somewhat better than the spring based pedometers. This kept me active for some time and I even lost about 5-6 Kgs (nothing big, but at its its negative gradient). And at that point I moved to a bit better Samsung watch and started with steps only (now target need not be 10K but it can be 15K 20K, etc.). Depends what you want to achieve with it. Started increasing my weekly targets week by week (only walking and no other activity) and stopped binge eating stupid snacks. I lost additional 20Kgs in 6 months with this activity alone. Did it all help, yes it did. Counts, targets, goals all work differently with different people and it indeed helped me on my journey. Many say you cannot loose weight by just walking but I can show you that I did. Its possible, what is needed is you need to be regular and disciplined with your activity and depending on how intense it is, your results will be faster or slower. I think these trackers help you get disciplined.

Targets are something you set for yourself. There are numerous times when I look at my watch in the evening and I am like .. get the he** out and finish your target. That I think is the objective of these trackers.

Just sharing in a hope to motivate a few more souls like me that anything is possible.
xrules is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th September 2021, 13:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrules View Post
Many say you cannot loose weight by just walking but I can show you that I did.
Actually, the weight loss was more due to you controlling your binge eating. Walking or any physical activity is good for fitness but for losing weight, the calorie intake, or the lack of it is the major contributor.
Jaguar is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks