Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st May 2007, 06:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

file sharing on home network

hi guys,

i have been using FTP server to share files between my home laptop (cabled to the wireless router, win xp home) and work laptop (wireless connection to router, win xp pro). but would like to share as in shared folders on windows.

i am running zonealrm on both. i ran the networking wizard on both but of no use. both show the same network with them individually on it. any ideas on how I can share my external HDD (at least) on home laptop to my work laptop? next would be the printer.

TIA,
-Vivek
Old 21st May 2007, 08:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

There are few questions before we can think of accessing resources from one location to another..
Do you have a static IP available from your ISP?
What kind of DSL router / Wireless Router you are using?
If you are using one of those routers where you can advertise some protocols and services like a virtual server, you can advertise, FTP server, HTTP server or can also take a terminal services control of the home PC from work.
Old 21st May 2007, 11:09   #3
BHPian

its very easy, first you need to make sure both laptops/pc are connected to your wireless router. you will need the same network name (MSHOME is the default). then run file and printer sharing on both pc (use same settings). then right click the folder you want to share and goto sharing, give it a name and it should be shared. repeat same on the other pc.
restart both pc
it should be accessible thru my network places now
for printer sharing, just goto printers in control panel and right click your printer and choose share this printer on the network.
thats it your done
restart both pc once more just to be on the safe side.

with zonealarm i dont have a clue how hard its going to be, id suggest you get rid of it. i have been using computers for about 11yrs with just a very basic antivirus or sometimes even none.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:15   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
There are few questions before we can think of accessing resources from one location to another..
I am sorry ketan, i did not mean accessing FROM work. only when at home i need file sharing. so the Question of static IPs does not arise at all.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheap_deal View Post
its very easy,
I did the same, still none of them show the other PC on network. I can access them via IP though(FTP, VNC etc).

I am not ready to dump zonealarm, it really helps. I will try fiddling with it's settings.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:24   #6
Senior - BHPian

type this in run

\\192.168.1.* replace * with the computer ip you trying to connect to.
Old 21st May 2007, 18:30   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
type this in run

\\192.168.1.* replace * with the computer ip you trying to connect to.
already tried and failed.

i will try today eve with zonealarm shut down. may be the procedure is correct and zonealarm is the only problem.
Old 24th May 2007, 10:30   #8
BHPian

Vivek, I hope I am not getting you wrong, but you are simply trying to share the external HDD, between the two laptops when at home, both lappies being connected to the same router.

1. Enable Sharing on the external HDD (I presume you have already done that). Also see point #6 below for disabling simple sharing on XP Pro.

2. What Private IP is assigned to the router? I am assuming here that it is 192.168.2.1. Networking wizard, on XP, though a good option, does fail now and then, especially when you are running a 3rd Party Firewall. I would rather you try the manual method. Based on the assumption that the IP for the router is 192.168.2.1, assign IPs to both Laptops, 192.168.2.2 (for one) and 192.168.2.3 for the other. Subset will be 255.255.255.0. Enter the IP of the router (192.168.2.1) for gateway, and primary DNS.

3. Yes, both lappies have the same network Name (MS HOME), right?

4. Go to Zone Alarm and put the IP range of both notebooks in the trusted Network. Open ZoneAlarm>Firewall>Zones>Click Add>IP Range> Trusted>192.168.2.2 to 192.168.2.3>Description (Home Network or some name of your choice).

5. Reboot and you should be able to see shared resources across both notebooks.

6. Having said that, it is never a wise idea to share any entire HDD. Rather share folders. Create a folder on the HDD to be shared (work notebook). Also, disable simple file sharing (available only on XP Pro) .. In Windows Explorer>go to Folder Options> Tools>View> UNCHECK (simple file sharing - recommended). Once you disable simple file sharing, you can right click the folder and share, and change/modify permission - modify security settings and even audit ... this is a very nifty trick. Also, disable simple sharing, if points 1 to 5 fail to bring up the shared folder.

Hope it helps.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks