Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:48   #1
Senior - BHPian

ATP3 not turning ON

As the title says, my ATP3 is not powering ON. All the connections are OK as they were yesterday, nothing is loose, but it refuses to turn ON now. Another thing i may add, the LED light (green coloured) on right speaker didnt use to turn off even after turning off the speakers, for months. But today as i found out, its refusing to turn ON.
Should i assume now that its gone Kaput? Or is there some hope? Please help
Old 22nd May 2007, 18:58   #2
Senior - BHPian

some thing similar happened to my mx5021 the power supply transformer in the sub woofer enclosure had gone bad....since it was in warranty I got it replaced.
Old 22nd May 2007, 20:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

I dont think even the warranty is reamaining. Bought it 3 years ago.
Any decent replacement ? I think i will not go with Altec now, seeing even your MX5021 failed this way. I had a brief encounter with Creative Inspire 2.1, and it certainly seems to give more Bass compared to ATP3. Is it a decent buy?

One more thing, can i get this repaired? If so, where

Last edited by DCEite : 22nd May 2007 at 20:58.
Old 22nd May 2007, 22:11   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I dont think even the warranty is reamaining. Bought it 3 years ago.
Any decent replacement ? I think i will not go with Altec now, seeing even your MX5021 failed this way. I had a brief encounter with Creative Inspire 2.1, and it certainly seems to give more Bass compared to ATP3. Is it a decent buy?

One more thing, can i get this repaired? If so, where
I would say stay with antec lansing they are way better than the creative in that range...and nothing beats atp3, For my mx5021 it was due to I have connected to a 24 hr outlet and these things are not made for that ...thats the reason it got burned...but since then I switch it of when not in use and it is running good since 2 years....

check out the dealer in nehru place, griffin I think so...i can give you the number but tomorrow morning.
Old 22nd May 2007, 23:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

i think due to a sudden voltage surge your power supply transformer which is in the sub has gone kaput.take it to a local electrical repair shop and they will do the repair.Not a major thing.by all probability your speaker amp would be protected by some internal safety mechanism

Last edited by merve_extreme : 22nd May 2007 at 23:14.
Old 24th May 2007, 12:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

The electronics guy says that the transformer in sub has gone kaput, and that he doesnt have the original one, but the local transformer for it will cost Rs. 500 + 100 labour charges.
Do you think spending 600 bucks on it is wise?
Old 24th May 2007, 12:45   #7
Senior - BHPian

500 is a bit expensive....it will not have more than 50 va one....as my 5021 which is having more wattages when compared to atp-3....

and the price of a 50 va transformer should not be more that 200-300....
Old 24th May 2007, 14:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The electronics guy says that the transformer in sub has gone kaput, and that he doesnt have the original one, but the local transformer for it will cost Rs. 500 + 100 labour charges.
Do you think spending 600 bucks on it is wise?

if transformer has gone kaput,just get it rewinded from some electrical shop,like a fan repair shop,u dont need to replace it.should not cost more than Rs 150
Old 24th May 2007, 14:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
if transformer has gone kaput,just get it rewinded from some electrical shop,like a fan repair shop,u dont need to replace it.should not cost more than Rs 150
Ya this can be done as the core which came with the transformer would be of good quality.......I agree here....
Old 27th May 2007, 22:44   #10
BHPian

Recently my altec lansing mx 5021 developed a strange problem as soon it is connected to the power outlet it makes a strange noise like a radio from the sub(this started one day when I turned down the bass using the remote control) .Before this problem occured the system used to heat up in half an hour and would refuse to play properly after that.Also my speaker has distortion at peak volume would using a good sound card witha low signal to noise ratio help if yes what would you reccommend for a budget of 4k.
Old 27th May 2007, 23:06   #11
BHPian

seems all the altec lansing have this problem.my altec lansing vs4121 (simlar series to atp3) have the same problem of not turning on even after giving supply.will take it to the service centre next weekend.
btw dceite if possible check whether the fuse wire inside the sub box have melted n went kaput.earlier once i had this trouble and the system was working again after changing the fuse...
Old 28th May 2007, 10:46   #12
Senior - BHPian

So finally i got the transformer rewinded from a different electronics shop. Cost me 180 bucks. Its working fine now.
Old 28th May 2007, 11:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So finally i got the transformer rewinded from a different electronics shop. Cost me 180 bucks. Its working fine now.
good.remember to switch off ur speakers as soon as u notice any fluctuation in electric supply.
Old 28th May 2007, 11:30   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merve_extreme View Post
good.remember to switch off ur speakers as soon as u notice any fluctuation in electric supply.
I agree here the main reason of fault in electronic products is power fluctuation the more power fluctuation the risk is more to the product to get damage...
Old 28th May 2007, 12:26   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions and help, ME and LBM
The problem that has is yet to be resolved is the fact that the green LED remains ON even after turning the volume control fully anti clockwise (its actually weird it hasnt got a separate on/off switch!).

BTW yes i live in an area of severe power problem (DLF city ggn). Fluctuations and power cuts are the order of the day. Will connecting the speakers to UPS outlet help?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks