Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2007, 13:29   #1
VMG
BHPian

Connecting Laptop and LCD.

I want to connect my laptop ( Toshiba A105S4084) to LCD (Samsung 40R81).
Pl. tell me how to do it. Head phone audio jack from laptop to tv will give a good sound quality or any other way of do it.

Thanks
Old 31st May 2007, 13:59   #2
Senior - BHPian

does you laptop has tv out....s-video or composite
Old 31st May 2007, 14:01   #3
BHPian

for display, if your laptop has s-video out port, connect a s-video cable(i am not sure if s-video transfers sound too), for sound it depends upon output of you sound card, if it only has headfone jack outlet, then that is the only option.
Old 31st May 2007, 14:02   #4
BHPian

You want to connect the laptop for audio or video or both?
Old 31st May 2007, 15:46   #5

Hi there... I have the same LCD TV too (fantastic, isnt it??).

To connect your laptop, use any monitor cable and connect it b/w your laptop's monitor out and the LCD's PC IN. To get audio, you need to use a stereo cable and connect it b/w your laptop's headphone port and the audio in of the LCD. Note: Connect the stereo cable to the audio in right next to the PC IN of the LCD. And it works great.

I use this setup to view movies that are on my desktop comp at home. My laptop is wireless enabled and is connected to the home wireless network. This way, I can access movies on the desktop via the laptop and play it on the LCD.

Just ensure that the resolution on the LCD is set appropriately.

Hope this helps.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:27   #6
VMG
BHPian

Yes. It is really too good with lot of options. We love it.
Let me try what you have mentioned and update everyone this weekend.

Thanks.
Old 31st May 2007, 16:55   #7
VMG
BHPian

Hi Deeptrouble
If you use any monitor cable - one end to PC in in LCD (looks like serial port) where/what is the monitor out in the Laptop. Pl. explain more detail.
Thanks.
Old 31st May 2007, 17:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

VMG there is a cable in you samsung LCD which u connect to your PC use that same cable to connect to your laptop video out port. The post is blue in colour and have 15 small holes so that the cable from lcd goes in perfectly.

I use this all the time
Old 1st June 2007, 07:30   #9
VMG
BHPian

Connected my laptop and the LCD thru 25 pin and also the audio thru head phone in my laptop. Tried S video also. Did the settings as mentioned in the user manual for Samsung. Sound works great. But no video at all. I can see the mouse movements in my LCD but no picture at all. Is there any setting to be done in my PC? In fact, I changed the resolution in 'Display' under control panel also. But no luck.
Can some one help me on this pl.

Thanks
Old 1st June 2007, 10:04   #10

OK. Let's try this....

Connect the laptop using the monitor cable and stereo cable to the right ports. Put your laptop into presentation mode (Fn-F4) on most laptops. Doing this once should display an image on the LCD as well as the laptop. Doing this again will display image only on the LCD. You have to do it yourself and see when this happens. The idea is to display the image only on the LCD TV and not on the laptop.

The LCD TV should go through a auto-resolution setting process (you'll see a message to that effect on the TV). This should make your laptop display the image in a 16:9 mode.

Let me know how this works.

Also, the manual gives a more detailed way of connecting a PC on pg 39. See if that helps too. If nothing works, lets see if we can do a telecon and get this done over the weekend. PM me if you would like to talk about this.

Best.
Old 1st June 2007, 16:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
can see the mouse movements in my LCD but no picture at all. Is there any setting to be done in my PC?
Yes, full screen Video runs as an overlay which will be seen only on the primary display...when you connect your TV tru the BGA cable, the TV actsas a secondary monitor

After connecting your TV through the VGA cable, go to display properties and set monitor 2 as the primary display

You can choose to disable the Laptops' LCD altogether while you are wartching movies
Old 2nd June 2007, 02:17   #12
Senior - BHPian

VMG is display coming on laptop when u plug in it with the LCD. there is a option when u write click on the desktop and go to graphics property there is a option output to:
1. Notebook Only
2. Monitor Only
3. Notebook + Monitor.

Select the Notebook + Monitor and it should work.
Old 8th June 2007, 14:52   #13
VMG
BHPian

After changing the resolution settings in laptop, works great.
Thanks to all of you.
Old 19th January 2009, 11:42   #14
Senior - BHPian

How is this cable?

I was using a monitor cable to transmit video from my laptop on my LCD (LG32LC7R). However, after wall mounting, the gap is not sufficient to plug in the monitor cable. Hence, I am thinking of using S Video cable to connect.

I found this all-in-one cable on ebay.

Ebay cable

Connecting Laptop and LCD.-797e_1_b.jpg

It has S Video and 3.5mm audio jack on one end (for connection into the laptop) and S Video and Audio jacks (red+white) at the other end (for TV).

Anybody has any experience with this kind of cable?

Or should I stick to just an S Video cable?
Old 19th January 2009, 20:23   #15
Senior - BHPian

As far as I know, using this cable you will not get a PC type resolution, you will get TV type resolution.

Stick to VGA cable if you like the clarity seen earlier. see if you can fiddle with the wall mount a little.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks