Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2007, 00:15   #1
BHPian

Fitting max MP3s on a new CD

Hi guys,

It is the first time that I am trying to burn a CD on my system (bought a new system recently, you see!). Okay, so I have quite a few MP3 CDs that I play in my car. These get scratched after a time, and I have thought of compiling the best of the best songs from those CDs into one single CD.

Now, may be I am missing something here, but how is it that I see close to 50 songs (sometimes more) on a single CD, and when I am trying to copy about 40 onto a CD-R, I get the message "Will not fit" on my WMP? Why is it so? How do I compress the MP3s further? Is there a way out?
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:46   #2
BHPian

Not sure whether I've understood ur issue correctly....

a normal CD-R has 700MB capacity...even if u assume one MP3 song to occupy 7MB, the CD should squeeze arnd 100 MP3s....

which s/w r u using for disk burning? check the s/w settings (like writing speed, freq, etc)....or try using someother cd burner
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:51   #3
BHPian

Are you trying to copy it as an audio CD by any chance? If so, the MP3s are decompressed to .cda files (size increases approx. 10x) and thats why they won't fit.

If you want to play the CD in another computer or MP3 player, use the Data CD option while creating. If you want to play it in a normal CD player (no MP3), use Audio CD.
Old 22nd June 2007, 10:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

How many songs do you have on your existing mp3 cds ??
It could be possible that each song is about 14mb then only 50 will fit ...
Try to use nero or itunes to burn your mp3s . I personally dont like wmp (I just cant figure out how to use it )
Old 22nd June 2007, 12:28   #5
BHPian

Copying MP3 files from one / multiple MP3 CD(s) to another CD should be a simple task. I recommend not to use WMP, use something like Nero / Roxio.
Copy the best of MP3 you want in the new CD in your hard disk, use the CD burning tool, select these files and write them to the empty disk. If prompted, you should choose a "data / backup CD", not an Audio CD (as mentioned by @ajit they'll be converted to .cda files, which are bigger in size).
Old 24th June 2007, 23:18   #6
BHPian

Wow! Thanks, folks. With your help, I have been able to do what I wanted.

I have another question now. The CD-R that I burned (Moser Baer) is able to play on my PC, but not on my Sony car stereo - it says 'Error'. I am sure it has something to do with the 'way' I burnt the CD. Is there anything else I should do to ensure it plays on my car stereo? By the way, I burnt it as 'Make MP3 CD' on Nero.

- KK.
Old 25th June 2007, 10:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Ya even i have had problem with Nero Make MP3 CD option. I always use data disc and add MP3 in it. Try that it works better.
Old 25th June 2007, 10:51   #8

MP3 burning

first check the disk.
check the properties of the songs you want to write to the disk.
if its an MP3 then there should be no problem, if its .wav then download a simple software from audiograbber.com. and convert them to MP3 and compress to your desire.
burn to the disk and enjoy.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
I have another question now. The CD-R that I burned (Moser Baer) is able to play on my PC, but not on my Sony car stereo - it says 'Error'. I am sure it has something to do with the 'way' I burnt the CD. Is there anything else I should do to ensure it plays on my car stereo? By the way, I burnt it as 'Make MP3 CD' on Nero.

- KK.
It can be a problem with the SONY HU, you can make that sure by trying to play your MP3 CD in some other HU (get hold of them from your friends / colleagues / anyone you know). One more option you can try, play it in your home theatre / music system.

But to reiterate, it's always better to create a "data disc" than a "MP3 / audio disc" through the 3rd party softwares; 'coz the "Finalize CD" technology used by these softwares sometimes makes them unusable for playing in stereos (home / car).

P.S.: "Finalize CD" - the way a writable CD is closed, so that no data can be written to it any more.
Old 25th June 2007, 14:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post

- KK.
Its probably the speed at which you burnt your music. Make sure its not above 8x.
Old 25th June 2007, 14:23   #11
Senior - BHPian

It is the bitrate at which the songs have been ripped. If it is 128KBPS, it takes up the least space, if it is 256 or 320 or higher, more space is taken up per song.
Old 25th June 2007, 14:38   #12
BHPian

check if the disc writing session has been closed or not. Many a time multisessions are enabled.
Old 25th June 2007, 22:26   #13
BHPian

So, you mean multisessions should NOT be enabled while writing on it? Do I need to take care of the burning 'speed' too, as mentioned by Mayank?

By the way, I have now learnt the lesson that I must burn it as 'data' and not mp3/audio. Thanks to you all guys!
Old 26th June 2007, 00:05   #14
BHPian

Just burn it as a data disc and at max speed of 8x and it will work fine buddy
Old 26th June 2007, 08:43   #15
BHPian

multisession discs if not closed on final write may not be read by all cd readers. so avoid it as far as u can. 8x -12x speed is fine bro..
i write all my discs at 16x still.. !

Most Viewed