Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2022, 10:21   #16
BHPian

Re: Chrome hangs up, then laptop goes blank, while surfing specific websites

Switch to a Chromebook. Light weight, fast and lasts long, really long.

P.S - I'm posting this message from a Chromebook. Personal + work all of it happens here. No regrets.
vinu_h is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 10:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
Switch to a Chromebook. Light weight, fast and lasts long, really long.

P.S - I'm posting this message from a Chromebook. Personal + work all of it happens here. No regrets.
A software problem can be solved by a software solution at no cost. Let's try that first before switching devices.
deep_bang is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 10:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_bang View Post
A software problem can be solved by a software solution at no cost. Let's try that first before switching devices.
Try before you buy, good idea. There can always be problems around running applications made by brand A on OS made by brand B and hardware made by brand C.
Old 17th December 2022, 10:59   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinu_h View Post
There can always be problems around running applications made by brand A on OS made by brand B and hardware made by brand C.
Then he should try Edge on his current laptop. Edge is much better than Chrome especially on Windows.

BTW, Chromebooks are budget devices often built for a cost. They have crappy build/screen/keyboard quality compared to mainstream laptops.
dragonfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 11:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Whenever I am surfing threads on reddit.com, Chrome becomes unresponsive.

- A few seconds later, the laptop screen goes blank, but the keyboard is still illuminated.

- Only solution = I press the standby button, laptop goes to sleep, then I wake it up and start off where I left.

- This is primarily happening on Reddit threads, but since yesterday, has also started happening on Team-BHP edit windows. Example, if I go to reply to a PM or edit the thread title.

Can you try browsing in incognito, see if the issue persists? If it works fine, it's probably coz of an extension, or corrupt site data in the cache.

Check extensions, maybe disable them all and enable them one by one to see which one is causing the issue.

Next, click on the padlock icon in the address bar, to the left of the URL. Choose "Site settings" and hit "Clear data".

Hopefully either of these two will solve the issue. If it doesn't, try the same site under similar conditions (logged to Reddit, etc.) in sat, MS Edge. If that works, uninstall and reinstall Chrome.

If Edge too exhibits the same symptoms, is probably an underlying issue with something else in the laptop...
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 11:14   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfire View Post
Then he should try Edge on his current laptop. Edge is much better than Chrome especially on Windows.

BTW, Chromebooks are budget devices often built for a cost. They have crappy build/screen/keyboard quality compared to mainstream laptops.
I will second this.
Since i installed Windows 11 on my Dell Laptop few months back I switched to Edge. It is far far better than chrome in all aspects. Best part is it never crashes unlike chrome.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 11:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, Chrome is a memory hog and I use Firefox for intense tasks. My suggestion is to use the task manager in Chrome (Shift + Esc) and check what specifically is consuming a lot of memory. Sometimes, it could be a rogue extension.

What I religiously do once a week is reboot my machine. Definitely seems to help, especially at work where I run math solvers for hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Step #1 - When such erratic behavior occurs with Chrome - Simply clear all browsing history, clear cookies, delete temporary files, close & start Chrome. That should fix all the issues. If not...
Step #2 - Reinstall Chrome which will certainly fix the issues
Sorry, not a sustainable solution. I used to do that on Chrome but realized that logging into Gmail, Banking, etc takes 30 minutes to set up logins all over again. Just switched those critical websites to Firefox.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:18   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This is primarily happening on Reddit threads, but since yesterday, has also started happening on Team-BHP edit windows. Example, if I go to reply to a PM or edit the thread title.

Thanks in advance!
Same configuration, same issue but with YouTube as well. Seems to be a bug with Chrome. It starts to lag and then crashes completely. Firefox has no such issues so far. Is there any Chrome extension that may be conflicting in your browser?

Last edited by John P Daniel : 22nd December 2022 at 12:18. Reason: Spelling Correction
John P Daniel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 12:38   #24
Senior - BHPian

Been on Brave browser for the last few years and it has been working really well. I'd suggest ditching Chrome and moving to Brave. You get more benefits like tracker & ad blocking. It is nothing but a better Chrome.

Chrome browser plug-ins work on Brave as well.
clevermax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:01   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Does Brave has an option to sync passwords through Google account login as in Chrome?
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:18   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Does Brave has an option to sync passwords through Google account login as in Chrome?
Obviously it has the option. After installing Brave, while running it first time, it will ask for the sync from all browsers available in the PC/Laptop.
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:25   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by edunata View Post
Obviously it has the option. After installing Brave, while running it first time, it will ask for the sync from all browsers available in the PC/Laptop.
Probably we are not on the same page
Wanted to know that if all my passwords, browsing history etc will be available in another device if I use the same profile in Brave?

For eg. in Chrome, if you login to your Google profile and choose the option to sync, all browsing data including passwords will be available across devices whenever you login to your Google profile in Chrome.

Last edited by saket77 : 22nd December 2022 at 15:26.
saket77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:28   #28
Senior - BHPian

I never used Chrome as a mainstream browser. It was all IE initially and then moved to Firefox some 14 years back. Today my mainstream browser is Edge and I am very happy with it. Very fluidic and legible. Please try the said websites through Edge browser.

Cheers!
Old 22nd December 2022, 15:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Probably we are not on the same page
Sorry, misunderstood your post. Not sure though, but think this feature is available.
Old 22nd December 2022, 16:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Please go to settings-help- about and update chrome and see if the issue happens again. If still same issue uninstall/re-install or simply use another browser like MS Edge. You need to ensure you are not facing the same issue on a different browser which would mean an issue with the lappy.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 22nd December 2022 at 16:31.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks