Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2007, 23:40   #1
Senior - BHPian

Help my computer screen goes pink intermittently

I am facing this very very annoying problem lately,my computer screen just gets a pinkish tinge as though some kind of a pink film has been put on monitor.

This problem is present when I use redhat as well as windows xp[have only two OS].Problem is present right from the time I boot-up. After using my pc for a while the problem goes off and everything is normal for a while then comes back and the whole circle continues driving me nuts and hurting my eyes.I did try the demagnetizing option of the monitor but it does not help.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 16th July 2007 at 23:41.
Old 16th July 2007, 23:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

check your data cable which came from vga to monitor in..
Old 16th July 2007, 23:50   #3
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Check the 9pin(????) monitor cable, usually if one of the pins break or twist then this problem occurs.
Old 16th July 2007, 23:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

it happened once on my pc to i just pluged in the cable properly again and it when away
Old 17th July 2007, 00:02   #5
BHPian

Looks like you will have to Degauss your CRT Monitor. The term is usually used in reference to color monitors and other display devices that use a Cathode Ray Tube (CRT). These devices aim electrons onto the display screen by creating magnetic fields inside the CRT.

External magnetic forces -- such as the earth's natural magnetism or a magnet placed close to the monitor -- can magnetize the shadow mask, causing distorted images and colors.

To remove this external magnetic forces, most monitors automatically degauss the CRT whenever you turn on the monitor. In addition, many monitors have a manual degauss button that performs a more thorough degaussing of the CRT. You can also use an external degausser that degausses the monitor from the outside. Since it may be impossible to remove the external magnetic force, degaussing works by re-aligning the magnetic fields inside the CRT to compensate for the external magnetism.

I hope this gives you a idea.

Cheers,
Jai
Old 17th July 2007, 00:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

sir he has used the Degaussing the monitor and it did not helped.

Check the cable as the major fault will be there. But the internal connections in the monitor might be loose which also can cause this failure.
Old 17th July 2007, 00:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone.You guys are awesome.

Unfortunately cant really understand if anything is wrong with the cable,maybe can try another cable.

Quote:
But the internal connections in the monitor might be loose which also can cause this failure.
I tried banging my monitor and it solves the problem occasionally,so could it mean that there's something loose inside the monitor.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 17th July 2007 at 00:27.
Old 17th July 2007, 00:26   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad View Post
I tried banging my monitor and it solves the problem occasionally.

I happened with my old monitor and I used to bang it and it worked fine. Then the problem is in the internal connector not the cable.

So keep banging.
Old 17th July 2007, 00:36   #9
BHPian

You have a degaussing option. You have a CRT monitor. How old is it? I have had this problems with a lot of monitors and this generally meant that my monitor was about to fail and they generally did after about a month or two.
Old 17th July 2007, 00:54   #10
Senior - BHPian

Is it gay? ;-)

Sorry couldn't resist it.

Looks like CRT imminent failure. If the cables are ok, then thats the likely cause.
Old 17th July 2007, 00:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes its Quite old ,actually cant remember correctly but think about 5 years back.Its a compaq presario 7500 ,bought when compaq was a separate entity in India and their support was not from HP.
Old 17th July 2007, 01:50   #12
BHPian

Your computer is should homosexual tendencies.
Old 17th July 2007, 08:29   #13

hi rahul_intlad

hi had this problem once, just take it to the service guy, he will solder properly, this happen because some components will be cold solderered, due to heat the solder has melted down , so if you just hit , it works for some time and same problem happen again. take to service guys, may be he will charge 100 or 150 rs so.
Old 17th July 2007, 11:29   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamadhenu87 View Post
hi rahul_intlad

hi had this problem once, just take it to the service guy, he will solder properly, this happen because some components will be cold solderered, due to heat the solder has melted down , so if you just hit , it works for some time and same problem happen again. take to service guys, may be he will charge 100 or 150 rs so.
try this. Its an indication that you need to upgrade to a better configuration soon.
Old 17th July 2007, 13:51   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think the color decoder in your monitor has gone kaput. Get someone professional to check it out. Try not to finger with the monitor, you could face a rude shock.

Most Viewed