Rubbish 40 18.35%
Expensive 37 16.97%
Give me one now! 19 8.72%
Voters: 218. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2023, 21:16   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Apple Vision Pro

It's really not about the price or the design. The thing is expensive and unwiedly now but the long-term vision is spot on. This is a total gamechanger.

Imagine a world where you don't own a TV or a computer or a phone. Instead, you put on something that feels pretty much like glasses and airpods and it will do everything that those devices do plus a whole lot more. Apple has shown the world that such a future isn't sci-fi, it's totally achievable within the next 10 years.

I'm blown away by what they've achieved. Congrats to them!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 00:01   #17
Senior - BHPian

There are 2 aspects - technology & usability on this new gadget.

On the technological front, this headset is a breakthrough with plenty of inventions. With its myriad sensors, design, and expansive promotion, it is an object of desire .

If I remember, in the early 2000s, Sony had a VGA display headset, which could be connected to the desktop's VGA port and showed the display in 1024x768 resolution. It was a replacement for the computer monitor. It was not useful. Nobody knows about it.

Next was the Google Glass project which created buzz for Google and was finally shelved. A comic on this,
The Apple Vision Pro-screenshot-20230607-234601.jpg

The next evolution in the wearable gadget is Apple Vision Pro. So the company expects people to carry their 250g phone, tie their watch and now wear 500g headset, with battery in the pocket. All for what? For the problem already solved. People watch movies on TV/theatres with friends and conduct meetings on their phones/laptops or in conference rooms with colleagues.

This gadget is like gluing the screen to the eyes for solitary watching. Not many will like that. It might have specialized applications like gaming, or presentations. I don't think it is a general-purpose gadget.

Last edited by msdivy : 8th June 2023 at 00:11.
msdivy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 05:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

I can imagine so many new implementations with this:
1) Imagine an integration with Google maps to help you with driving. You'll never have to take your eyes of the road. It'll tell you exactly where to go from what you see.
2) An AI based app to tell you which vehicles are about to shift lanes, people/animals on the roads about to jump and cross etc
3) Wonder how this will work with eye power. If it can adjust to your eye power, sales of high end glasses and frames will slow down a bit depending on its success.
4) Designate certain rooms for certain tasks - Living room for entertainment based apps and your office for work related apps and it's notifications. For all you know, this will prevent distractions that we currently face as we open the phone and see other apps.

There are massive cons to:
1) Privacy. Literally anything can be recorded.
2) Social skills are going to end up at another low.
3) Eye related issues? We've never had something so close to the eye until recently.
Turbohead is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 09:27   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ach1lles View Post

To me, the implications are also a little more profound, and psychological. The Vision Pro represents a proper shift on interactions. Would you wear this with multiple people in the room, like at home? Seems unlikely. So it is more of an individual piece with a higher isolating effect than any device previously available, which, it seems, humans are glued to regardless. In that sense, does it create a higher gap between real humans going forward? Or does it improve upon our "reality" in ways that makes us more productive and enables us in ways we can't yet imagine?

Right now, I really really just want to try one.
Nice review. Thanks for sharing.
Like you, I too really want to try it, but I also will not buy it, and will do everything in my power to keep it out of my house and away from my kids.
We are already immersed in consuming the stream of information pushed by our devices, and end up ignoring the people around us and our surroundings. This is one more thing that at least I do not need, as it is hard to fight against the power of thousands of smart people who have worked to make these products as addictive as possible.
Mustang Sammy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2023, 09:30   #20
BHPian

Thank you for the poll & thread. This new wearable device is stepping stone of the future of e-gadgets & with this, there would be onslaught of products offering wide variety of GUIs.
I am actually blown away by the eye lid tracing, gesture control, spatial audio & multiple screens & what not. This is some serious Artificial Intelligence applications at work simultaneously.
Apple seems to have changed the world may be 4th time now. (iPhone, iTunes, iWatch & now Vision Pro)
speedguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 00:41   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord-Lannister View Post
As a new parent, it was heart breaking to see the father wear the glasses in their advert to try and take the kids 3d video only to watch later on rather than be in the moment.
There is a way around that as well right, if software allows Vision Pro to capture 3D video without wearing them, like a handheld camera? I have seen similar observation as you on many YouTube reviews, MKBHD, et al.

For me it was totally different, I was thinking about the possibility of reliving the moments.

How different it is not being in the moment from say recording on a mobile phone or a camera?

There was no mention of the refresh rate of the display, but I have found one bottle neck with regards to passthrough video, when they explained about the R1 chip, he said the videos from different cameras are processed within 12 milliseconds, which equates to 83.33Hz. The display should atleast be 90Hz or higher then. Have you got any information on this from the reddit or other Apple forums?
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2023, 14:47   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
There is a way around that as well right, if software allows Vision Pro to capture 3D video without wearing them, like a handheld camera? I have seen similar observation as you on many YouTube reviews, MKBHD, et al.

For me it was totally different, I was thinking about the possibility of reliving the moments.

How different it is not being in the moment from say recording on a mobile phone or a camera?
I completely get what you're saying, albeit taking a recording from say an iPhone to capture a moment is still a sharable moment with screen visible to others who might perhaps then even wish to join in. The glasses are solitary, with visibility only to the wearer, privacy side aside, the main point being - a kid learns though our expression which get blocked by these, God forbid the glasses get addictive akin to phones. You can agree, it's concerning in the long run.

I believe next or later iPhone gen should have the 3D video recording capabilities to the glasses as we already have lidar in iPhones. And I do agree, this device would make reliving memories in 3D such a visual treat - it's the solitary aspect which is always going to be a deal breaker until the tech matures enough to replace our specs. (though I believe holograms might happen by then too, which can potentially supersede these)

Also sorry bro, haven't visited the sites to check on the specs. However, Macrumors and r/Apple are your best bet to check once the developers share their hands on reviews.
Old 14th June 2023, 16:07   #23
BHPian

Its good on what all it can do. Watching a movie will be good. But would you really want to do that? Watching it on a screen allows you to move your vision away if you want and is sort of relaxing when you don't want to watch it every millisecond.

With AR, I am not sure I will like moving my eyes, head and hands. Even the progressive lenses annoyed me a lot. I think it will be good for education, training and such. Not for entertainment.
PreludeSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 15:23   #24
BHPian

Finer Details

Worth watching in full, and from 39 min onwards for the Vision Pro. They've touched upon the finer things, including the founding principle 2: avoiding isolation and disorientation.

Makes you appreciate the insanity of what they've pulled off here.

Last edited by ach1lles : 16th June 2023 at 15:28.
Old 13th September 2023, 14:00   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
iPhone 15 Pro Max has the capability of capturing 3D videos, so you don't always need a Vision pro to capture 3D videos. I am sure in future the 3D video capturing will trickle down to non pro phones as well.
Old 10th January 2024, 18:16   #26
Senior - BHPian

Apple Vision Pro pre-order will start on Jan 19th in the USA and deliveries from Feb 2nd.

https://www.apple.com/apple-vision-pro/

Last edited by ecenandu : 10th January 2024 at 18:19.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 13:33   #27
BHPian

As always it is amazing to see what Apple has developed. If you are tech-savvy or even curious how it works the below video is a must watch!

ex-innova-guy is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks