Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

Technics Dolby Pro Logic Amp Problem

I have a Technics HT amplifier that is 8 years old now. off late when i play it in stereo, I am getting the output from only one channel. If i turn the vol control the 2nd channel starts working & it is fine for some time until it goes off again. After a while, the right channel just refuses to come on now. Can someone help me with this ? what could be the problem ? i gave it to a local service chap who played the amp for 1 whole day & returned it saying this problem never occurred during this time. But it keeps happening for me & i have no idea who can repair this in chennai.
Old 23rd July 2007, 10:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

My guess is that there could be few of these problem

1) dry solder at any point of the amp
2) loose wires
3) dirty or rusty connector
4) since it is a old one the volume control pot might have got some problem due to usage. If it is a digital volume then forget this one.
Old 24th July 2007, 13:02   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by low_bass_makker View Post
My guess is that there could be few of these problem

1) dry solder at any point of the amp
2) loose wires
3) dirty or rusty connector
4) since it is a old one the volume control pot might have got some problem due to usage. If it is a digital volume then forget this one.
Thanks LBM.

2. Checked the wires, nothing loose.
3. Connector in the amp ?
4. This could be it. How do i clean this thing ? I am not even able to pull off the cover on this.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I have a Technics HT amplifier that is 8 years old now. off late when i play it in stereo, I am getting the output from only one channel. If i turn the vol control the 2nd channel starts working & it is fine for some time until it goes off again. After a while, the right channel just refuses to come on now. Can someone help me with this ? what could be the problem ? i gave it to a local service chap who played the amp for 1 whole day & returned it saying this problem never occurred during this time. But it keeps happening for me & i have no idea who can repair this in chennai.

Seems to be the volume pot... its got dust or moisture in it. get it cleaned.

And... try doing this. See if it works. With the amp off, try rotating the knob all the way up and down again, repeat 10-15 times. Now switch on the amp and try again. Dont ask me why, it works sometimes.

Last edited by gunbir : 24th July 2007 at 14:08.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:23   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunbir View Post
Seems to be the volume pot... its got dust or moisture in it. get it cleaned.

And... try doing this. See if it works. With the amp off, try rotating the knob all the way up and down again, repeat 10-15 times. Now switch on the amp and try again. Dont ask me why, it works sometimes.

I was doing just this to make it work, worked for a couple of years, now it has stopped responding to this. Guess, i will have to remove the knob, clean the pot & refix. any ideas how to go about this.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I was doing just this to make it work, worked for a couple of years, now it has stopped responding to this. Guess, i will have to remove the knob, clean the pot & refix. any ideas how to go about this.
Sir I asked in the earlier post is it a digital one or a normal pot with only 3/4 of the turning.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

It has that volume control knob which can also be operated through the remote. So i guess it is not digital, right ?
Old 24th July 2007, 14:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It has that volume control knob which can also be operated through the remote. So i guess it is not digital, right ?
It is not necessary there are motorized volume control knobs that can be controlled by the remote....I am asking that it goes only 3/4 time and not round and round.
Old 24th July 2007, 14:55   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah, it does not go round & round like a merry-go-round. goes only 3/4th. damn,
Old 24th July 2007, 14:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, it does not go round & round like a merry-go-round. goes only 3/4th. damn,
Then do what gunbir suggested it help...

It is the dust which is accumulated on the carbon track which is causing the problem. If it does not help get it service at any good repair shop in front of your eyes.
Old 25th July 2007, 17:35   #11
BHPian

It's definitely the volume control pot. If you can reach to the back of it, spray with a switch cleaner, that should clean it up for another couple of years.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks