Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 21:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

An Apple iPhone killer in the pipeline

If any company can take apple head-on its google.Yes rumours are doing the rounds that at google labs work is going on regarding a phone.Now being google things are not quite in public domain however some pictures have sprung up on the internet now,

The phone is being called google switch by the blog,Now call it advantage/disadvantage but
Quote:
the device doesn't have any on-board storage. That's right, all your applications are served up over the network with new apps "attached" to your account via a web interface.
Quote:
This version of the mythical Googlephone is said to be the result of a collaboration with Samsung -- not Alpha Networks or HTC. Of course, it's a button-less touchscreen device as is the rage these days only this time with GPS built-in for pinpoint navigation around Google Maps. What's pictured in that all too familiar blur (Photoshopped?) is the phone's contact program said to be an extended version of Gtalk combining Gmail, text and instant messaging.
Source:
The Google Switch: an iPhone killer? - Engadget

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 23rd July 2007 at 22:02.
Old 23rd July 2007, 22:40   #2
Team-BHP Support

IIRC, Samsung is what runs under the hood in case of Iphone.
As for Iphone killer, something with all capabilities(+ more) of iphone except the camera already exists, is completely open and costs 300$
Its called Openmoko.
Then there is an LG concept phone also which does more than the iphone for less.
After the initial hype dies down, Apple will be forced to decripple the phone, or face huge customer backlash, when they realize that after couple of days of heavy use, they can no longer use WIFI!
Old 24th July 2007, 14:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

the HTC Touch do have the almost same interface like the iphone
Old 24th July 2007, 16:20   #4
BHPian

HTC touch seems to be a better phone than iphone.
@tanveer . How stable is the openmoko. Is it a completely opensource product or something like the motoming
Old 24th July 2007, 16:52   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its a linux based phone, and reviews and tests indicate that it has been hammered enough. So its as good as the competition, if not better. You don't get a camera though, otherwise you get every application, its open, you can write your own too.
Too bad its not an Arm 11 core, that would have given better Pipeline depth and processing power.
Old 24th July 2007, 17:02   #6
BHPian

Sorry to burst the bubble but right now openmoko is available only as the developer's edition i.e., it cannot guarantee you quite a few things. Read this up

Developer preview - OpenMoko
Old 24th July 2007, 18:43   #7
Team-BHP Support

Lot of development happening in linux for mobile phones, cant wait for a competent phone to launch.

Till then am bery bery happy with my HTC Touch I was not very sure with windows phone after the HP Ipac but HTC and win mobile 6 professional totally rock for now.
Old 24th July 2007, 18:56   #8
Team-BHP Support

Well even the production phones don't guarantee much. Look at how many times our smart phones crash. And to add insult to injury most features are artificially restricted.
Its like selling you a 200bhp car with a speed governor at 50kmph, and then telling you "Pay $$$ extra to get the governer removed".
I would rather have freedom and a partially working phone. As long as the hardware is sound, software fixes will come by. ?
Old 24th July 2007, 18:58   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Lot of development happening in linux for mobile phones, cant wait for a competent phone to launch.
If you like Linux on PDA, then you should like the little Motorola Ming - very nice package for the price.
Old 24th July 2007, 19:07   #10
Team-BHP Support

Yup its a good handset, then again i keep myself off motorola for some reason or other. This one i dint like the flip with speaker since am a person who religiously drop phones once in a while.
Old 24th July 2007, 19:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
This one i dint like the flip with speaker since am a person who religiously drop phones once in a while.
Its a tough plexiglass (polycarbon?) flip which actually protects the screen pretty well. One of the Mings in the office accidentally got walked on by a 130 kg giant and nothing happened to it.
Old 24th July 2007, 20:05   #12
BHPian

Is it really worth the money making a decision on the n95 based on the 5mp camera? Is the 5mp on the N95 much improved over the 3mp on the n73?
Are there other neat looking phones out there now with a 3.2 Mp camera? (I guess they wouldn't have half of the features that the n95 boasts off though)
Old 25th July 2007, 10:22   #13
BHPian

Tsk: True, but then in my personal opinion, I'd wait for the user's edition than go out and buy the developer one. And regarding the crashes, I have been using a Treo 650 for like one year now and I can count the number of times it has crashed (5-6 times max.) I would recommend palm if someone is looking for a stable smart phone.
Old 25th July 2007, 13:47   #14
Senior - BHPian

there are lots of iphone killers out there. But which has the might to take on the giant?

HTC Touch
LG Prada
Meizu XXX
Nenode N2
Openmoko

and many more.

Motoming is an excellent phone. It has been the bestseller in Toronto for christmas 2006. I can vouch for it since I have used a E680i for a year.
Old 28th October 2007, 13:57   #15
BHPian

I want to pick up a Ming or a Rokr E6. Which one would you recommend and why?

Need to buy it today, urgent advice will be really appreciated. Gurus - pls help!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks