Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2007, 11:31   #1
BHPian

Tata-Sky: How to sell/transfer?

Hi All,

I would like to know, if any of you have ever sold/transferred Tata-Sky connection to others? I want to sell my connection, but following is the problem:

Tata-sky will charge 1000 Rs for relocating the connection. Who will bear this cost? I had bought the connection 3 months back for 3000 Rs (+1000 Rs subsription, which has expired now). Say, I want to sell it for 1000 Rs. Another 1000 Rs need to be paid for relocation. So, buyer will have to shed 2000 Rs. Why would anyone buy a second hand for 2000 Rs ? Is it not? On the other hand, if I have to shell that 1000 Rs, my net gain would be "0". So, fair deal would be to sell Tata-sky for 500 Rs?? That's all it fetches ?? Just want to know your opinion on a proper way to sell/buy used Tata-sky connection
Old 28th July 2007, 13:01   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Does Tata Sky allow a transfer to another person ? (Dish-TV does not, AFAIK.) Since it is only 3 months old, you will still have wty. If some one does pick it up, how will he avail of wty services if he needs to ?

These two points together form the problem in re-selling DTH sets. Re-selling is not so wide spread.

Why do you think you need to go through their relocation service ? Why cant you do it yourself ?
Old 28th July 2007, 13:19   #3
BHPian

Hi Condor,

I checked with Tata-Sky. They say that if I have to transfer it to other person, I need to give them a letter to transfer & pay 1000 Rs.

It is difficult to get the alignment correct & do proper installation ourselves, in case of relocation.

Main reason why I am opting out of Tata-Sky are:

1. Rainy season - we don't get signal. Even if it is moderate rain.
2. Have a better digital signal over cable service offered by our cabel-walla. Quality is better than T-Sky & comparitivel cheaper.

I have seen some people selling/buying. Just wanted to check what is the good rate for 3 month old T-Sky connection & how this relocation charges are handled by buyer/seller?
Old 28th July 2007, 14:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

I don't think you can do that. These are like mobile SIMs. If at all you decide to sell it & there is a buyer willing to take it, you can give 200 bucks to the local dealer & get it fixed. TATA Sky need not know about that.

Else if you want to do it properly, give it back to TATA Sky, they might refund a part of the money you paid. Check with them.
Old 28th July 2007, 14:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

I think the 1000 RS you need to pay for relocating are installation charges. Tata Sky technician goes to the new location, installs the dish and connects to your box. I believe they cover the charge of the dish antenna in installation charges and still they own that.
Old 28th July 2007, 15:23   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian
Main reason why I am opting out of Tata-Sky are:
Bad. Shouldn't that qualify as a technical problem for Tata-Sky guys to fix ?

As discussed previously in the other thread, get a larger dish. This should solve your problem, and be a cheaper solution.

Reg relocation charges, try talk to any of the technicians, on the side, if they can help you.
Old 28th July 2007, 16:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
I don't think you can do that. These are like mobile SIMs. If at all you decide to sell it & there is a buyer willing to take it, you can give 200 bucks to the local dealer & get it fixed. TATA Sky need not know about that.
Will have to check this. Our local cabelwalla tried his best to relocate & was unsuccesful. May be I will check with some local dealer if they can help in relocating. Yep, this is what I wanted to check, if some local guys can indeed get the alignment correct. Will check.

Quote:
Else if you want to do it properly, give it back to TATA Sky, they might refund a part of the money you paid. Check with them.
Guess this is ruled out. Don't think T-sky will return any amount. Will check anyway.

I feel this is the biggest drawback with T-Sky or dish. Relocation or if you are not happy with the service, there is little you can do
Old 29th July 2007, 09:12   #8
LLL
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
Instead of relocation, can you ask them to fix the problem above and tell them that you will cancel the subscription asking for a full refund if they cant fix this problem?
Old 29th July 2007, 11:16   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLL View Post
Instead of relocation, can you ask them to fix the problem above and tell them that you will cancel the subscription asking for a full refund if they cant fix this problem?
I tried this. They acknowledge that the problem exist in rainy seasons. Even if it is a moderate rain, the transmission stops. Secondly, we also don't get all the required regional channels, which Hathway gives. I feel T-sky is not worth it & want to get-away.
Old 29th July 2007, 13:11   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
I feel this is the biggest drawback with T-Sky or dish. Relocation or if you are not happy with the service, there is little you can do
I had a Dish TV connection which I needed to shift from my factory to my home & all I did was call the local dealer of Dish TV & have his man come & install the same at my home. Cost: Rs. 100 only! Dish/TATA doesn't need to know where the connection is.
Old 29th July 2007, 14:13   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
I had a Dish TV connection which I needed to shift from my factory to my home & all I did was call the local dealer of Dish TV & have his man come & install the same at my home. Cost: Rs. 100 only! Dish/TATA doesn't need to know where the connection is.
Oh good. I have to find such a dealer to relocate. But its a big headache to do away with this T-sky/dish TV. Isn't it? It is not as simple as taking a connection

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks