Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:37   #16
Senior - BHPian

there is one boot CD called as "Hirens boot CD",try downloading that and use it to perform a scan or format C drive.
alternately if you have access to a USB casing then connect the HDD to the laptop,format the C drive and then try the installation on the desktop machine.
Old 2nd August 2007, 22:40   #17
BHPian

I am suspecting you have a problem with your CPU or your Chipset fan. Check it out.
Old 3rd August 2007, 11:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
I am suspecting you have a problem with your CPU or your Chipset fan. Check it out.
I too suspect the same. Planning to check it this week-end.

Thanx

Nitin
Old 3rd August 2007, 12:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Does it go uptil the bios screen? If not does it emit any beeps?
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:37   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Does it go uptil the bios screen? If not does it emit any beeps?
Yes it does. I have disabled on-board LAN from BIOS settings only.

\N
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

I strongly suspect a virus activity, you can run Norton through CD & try to scan in DOS mode.
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:59   #22
j_j

Now it depends if the data in hdd is impt to you or not.

If data is impt use a secondary drive as master, if you dont have an extra one, borrow a hdd from some one and boot using that connecting your hdd as slave and copy the stuffs needed from yours to the new hdd.

If data is not impt then keep your hdd as master itself and use any hdd solution cd which you might have got with your drive, like maxtor install cd or seagate install cd to format partion. If you dont have those then down load a boot disc of Win 98 from net and use it to format the partition.

If the drive got nothing impt at all then you can also consider changing the TOC and repartion the whole drive.
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntomer View Post
Yes it does. I have disabled on-board LAN from BIOS settings only.

\N
Like I said before try cleaning the computer from inside there must be some dust which is stuck in the connectors because of which it is acting crazy...
Old 3rd August 2007, 16:33   #24
BHPian

Hi,

I had a similar problem on my laptop. I guess it is related to HDD

I did a big mistake of not immediately backing up the data and kept on trying to reboot or reinstall windows and finally did multiple attempts to reformat. With all this abuse, the HDD died and it stopped being detected when plugged to a USB case.

I've lost all my 30 GB of data which included some unburnt videos of my daughter's first few months...

So buddy please back up the data before you do anything.
Old 29th October 2008, 18:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guys, need some help here.

A few days ago, the power went off as I was using the PC , and thereon, it simply wont boot.
I use windows XP home edition, running on an NTFS SATA drive. It does not even let me go to the safe mode (all options).
This is the blue screen error i get :

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
blah blah blah.
***STOP 0x00000ED (0x82F67C98,0xC000009C,0x0000000,0x0000000).

Now my OEM windows XP did not come with a boot disk, and I have got a recovery option on it instead. I tried to go to that, so that I can run a chkdsk , but it wont even reach there.
However, I am able to access that hard drive through Linux. Is there anyway I can salvage this ?
Old 29th October 2008, 18:19   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

A few days ago, the power went off as I was using the PC , and thereon, it simply wont boot.
I use windows XP home edition, running on an NTFS SATA drive. It does not even let me go to the safe mode (all options).

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
blah blah blah.

Now my OEM windows XP did not come with a boot disk, and I have got a recovery option on it instead. I tried to go to that, so that I can run a chkdsk , but it wont even reach there.
However, I am able to access that hard drive through Linux. Is there anyway I can salvage this ?

dont you have a ups ????

seems your boot partition is corrupted . backup your data on another pc and reformat the hard disk...
Old 29th October 2008, 18:46   #27
BANNED

Quote:
What distro / disk do you use? If it is a mere boot sector corruption, some distros / live CDs come with a small program, which restores the MBR, something like "install-mbr" or something like that.

If you have the right linux cd, you may be lucky to have "ntfsprogs" suite, in which you can try this procedure.

1. Boot from the live cd, hit "alt + ctl + F!" (or F2, F3, etc.) to get a terminal

2. type just "ntfs" and hit the tab twice. (No space after "ntfs"). This will show a list of programmes available with "ntfs" as starting characters.

Look for "ntfsfix". Type "man ntfsfix" (to see the help pages) before you actually use the programme.

Edit:- 1. I strongly suggest you get at least a huge capacity USB pendrive and back up those precious videos of your precious angel to the usb pendrive from within linux. (edit 2 - do this before you attempt any rescue act).

2. I do not use windows. I have used linux to rescue a couple of windoze installations.

3. I suggest you stick to linux. Obviously, I am a linux zealot. ;-)

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 29th October 2008 at 18:53.
Old 31st October 2008, 10:52   #28
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions guys , the problem is now fixed.
Borrowed a WinXp installation CD from a friend and ran a chkdsk. It worked.

@Backseatdriver : I use Ubuntu 6.10. Just was exploring options of running something on the lines of dosfsck on the NTFS drive.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:15   #29
RAC
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
blah blah blah.

aahhhh...the blue screen of death (BSOD). There must be something in the air. I faced it a few days back and still struggling to re-install XP PRO. Damn thing keeps throwing up errors.

@ Sajo- did only running the chkdsk solve the problem or was there somehting else you did. need to try this with my machine.

Last edited by RAC : 31st October 2008 at 12:17.
Old 31st October 2008, 12:19   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think its the hardware that is creating the problem.
Disconnect all the lan cables connected to the PC and try booting.
What I mean is that take out all the RJ45 connectors and Firewire ( if you are using Firewire ) from your PC, irrespective of the fact whether they are onboard or on card ( i.e. from onboard lan cord or/and external card ).

As the problem is related with IP, if the above solution works, this is hardware problem as the same setup is ale to perform in laptop.

The solution then will be :
1) To change the external lan card ( if you are using this ).
2) If you are using onboard lan card, you will have to change the motherboard.
3) Both will need replacement if both the onboard and external card are giving problems.

Most Viewed