Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2023, 22:58   #1
Team-BHP Support

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web

With the Google One subscription service, we can see if our personal details like name, username, email, passwords, date of birth, phone number etc have been leaked on the dark web. It also tells you which website caused the leak/breach.

This is my report:

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-screenshot_3.jpg

For example, my Moneycontrol.com account details have been leaked and everything is available on the dark web:

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-screenshot_4.jpg

Something like this is especially risky if we use the same username & password everywhere. This report helps because now I can change this password wherever it has been used, since I do have common passwords on many websites/social media sites.

Google One subscription service starts from Rs. 130 per month. I did not specifically sign up for this subscription service as such. I already had a paid Google Drive account & hence was already enrolled into the Google One.
https://one.google.com/home

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-screenshot_2.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th December 2023 at 01:59.
SmartCat is online now   (42) Thanks
Old 17th December 2023, 23:32   #2
BHPian

Re: Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web

For Gmail users, this dark web scan be done without the subscription for that particular email account from the Google One portal.

Norton provides a similar free dark web scan service. Microsoft Edge's password manager also checks for data leaks. However, you need to run these scans at regular intervals.

Last edited by --gKrish-- : 17th December 2023 at 23:34.
--gKrish-- is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 08:01   #3
BHPian

Re: Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web

While it may not be as comprehensive as Google's scan, there's another similar free service called "Have I Been Pwned." Here's the link if anyone's interested.
MotoBlip is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 08:33   #4
Senior - BHPian

Useful info Thanks

Firefox Monitor also provides something similar but manual and can be set as the homepage.
Goes without saying that Google's service would be easier as its automated and probably better.

Last edited by shancz : 18th December 2023 at 08:34. Reason: upd info
shancz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 09:14   #5
BHPian

OT- If you have an iPhone and save passwords in it, it will give you the number of compromised passwords of yours.

You can go into Settings -> Passwords -> Security Recommendations to find out. They are further categorised into two- appeared in a data leak and reused passwords.

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-img_5953.jpeg

I tried taking screenshot of the explanation of the reason to put it here but iPhone blackened it out.
ex-innova-guy is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 10:06   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
With the Google One subscription service, we can see if our personal details like name, username, email, passwords, date of birth, phone number etc have been leaked on the dark web. It also tells you which website caused the leak/breach.

[...]

Google One subscription service starts from Rs. 130 per month.
Firefox Monitor offers the a similar service for free. I believe both Google & Firefox take breach data from the same source(s)?

I guess there is a limitation that DoB/phone number etc. are monitored only by Google. But I am generally averse to signing up for any more services of theirs.

Quote:
Something like this is especially risky if we use the same username & password everywhere.
I have completely switched to Firefox's "Generate a secure password" option when registering accounts or changing passwords of existing accounts. Once in a while (say, 1 case in 25) I end up with a service whose password policy is overly restrictive that the autogenerated password (they look like "q)Tk,u4nDzX575!") doesn't pass but those I can handle manually.

Also I always activate TOTP based 2FA. My TOTP app currently has 50+ entries.
binand is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 10:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Firefox Monitor also provides something similar but manual and can be set as the homepage. Goes without saying that Google's service would be easier as its automated and probably better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by binand View Post
Firefox Monitor offers the a similar service for free. I believe both Google & Firefox take breach data from the same source(s)?.
I quickly signed up with Firefox Monitor to compare:

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-screenshot_6.jpg

- Google One has lot more entries
- There are many common breach sources (moneycontrol/twitter/dunzo etc in my case)
- But for many breach sources, there are entries in Firefox Monitor but not on Google One. And vice versa.

So they are definitely using different 'dark web scanners'.

Incidentally, Googling the above phrase gives lot of search results offering both free & paid tools:

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-screenshot_7.jpg

Last edited by SmartCat : 18th December 2023 at 10:36.
SmartCat is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 10:54   #8
BANNED

Darkweb is the animal I first mentioned here.

I think the only way is the get a guru to try and find the weaknesses in our code and fix them.

The amount of dark operations has crossed all limits, just see how many marketing calls you get everyday. In fact about two years someone got into my account and made away with some money. I was trying to activate Yono on SBI and he must have been floating around. I got a call about activating Yono and then he sent me some messages asking me for OTPs as part of the process. He did away with money that way. Following up with the bank and the police got me nowhere. It was some account in Bihar.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 11:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Darkweb is the animal I first mentioned here.

I think the only way is the get a guru to try and find the weaknesses in our code and fix them.

The amount of dark operations has crossed all limits, just see how many marketing calls you get everyday. In fact about two years someone got into my account and made away with some money. I was trying to activate Yono on SBI and he must have been floating around. I got a call about activating Yono and then he sent me some messages asking me for OTPs as part of the process. He did away with money that way. Following up with the bank and the police got me nowhere. It was some account in Bihar.
I could be wrong, but I dont think this sort of scam fits the definition of Darkweb. Sounds more like a social engineering attack.
Lalvaz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 11:16   #10
BHPian

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-screenshot-20231218-110827.png

It is Big basket for me.

Name:  Screenshot 20231218 111033.png
Views: 931
Size:  48.0 KB

It is cheaper if you take a Yearly plan. The biggest benefit of Google One in my opinion is the drive storage and the 24*7 support you get with it. I had a few issues with my Pixel phone as well as photos app. It was quickly solved by them and I felt they really took care of the customer.
itspatra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 11:45   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So they are definitely using different 'dark web scanners'.
Second your observations.
One benefit of Firefox Monitor is that I can add up to 5 emails to be monitored while Google One needs to be launched while logged into each account, hence a different dashboard for each.
Google might have access to more info through the monitoring profile they create for each account(paid option) hence more results.
Like Google has an entry for a name breach but wants me to subscribe to the plan and to check if its actually mine via the monitoring profile.

PS : I am talking about Gmail accounts only.

Last edited by shancz : 18th December 2023 at 11:46. Reason: ps
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 17:41   #12
BHPian

I had corporate professional security for my mac book and I phone but after my volunteer retirement from corporate world, I am on my own. I took the following personal McAfee package.
Attached Thumbnails
Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-img_1762.png  

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-img_1766.png  

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-img_1764.png  

Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-img_1763.png  

Mystic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th December 2023, 19:58   #13
BHPian

So first they leak our data and then charge us to let us know who they leaked the data to? Wonderful! What a novel way of scamming people.
CarNerd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 09:03   #14
BHPian

Checked my profile through Goolge One and came to know that it is leaked on the Dark Web. Surprised that some of the breaches are from prominent apps like Dunzo and BigBasket.
Attached Thumbnails
Google One subscription service: Monitoring your personal details on the Dark Web-dark_web_leaks.png  

kiranknair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2023, 12:08   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

https://www.gadgetsnow.com/slideshow.../106106487.cms

Quote:
IIIT-Hyderabad researchers show how hackers steal passwords: Android password managers that 'passed' and the ones 'failed'
Gadgets Now Bureau19 Dec, 2023, 10:53AM IST

A number of popular mobile password managers are reportedly inadvertently leaking user credentials (including username and passwords) due to a vulnerability in the autofill functionality of Android apps.
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks