Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2007, 12:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

DVDs from US. Will they work here?

I'm planning to buy the whole 4 seasons DVD set of Knight Rider from Ebay and have my cousin send them over to me. What I wanted to know was will they work here on my DVD player. Mine is a new Sony home theatre system complete with Mpeg, Divx jpeg compatibility. Would appreciate quick replies since I will be sending the link to my cousin in a while from now.

Thanks
Old 14th September 2007, 12:13   #2
Team-BHP Support

Most DVD players sold here come with an easy hack to make them read discs from all regions. I know Philips does for sure, and pretty sure your Sony will (seeing that it does play DivX as well), so it should not be a problem at all.
Old 14th September 2007, 12:26   #3
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Check before you buy. there is a old thread about DVD and multi region playback. as far as i know sony is the most difficult player to hack( long procedure compared to others like philips)
Old 14th September 2007, 12:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Sony DVD players sold in India do run US DVDs. At least mine does. What one needs to do is borrow a US DVD from a friend and try it out on the player before buying one.
Old 14th September 2007, 12:43   #5
BHPian

Just make your DVD player region free. It will then run any DVD from any place in the world.
Old 14th September 2007, 12:56   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill1182 View Post
Just make your DVD player region free. It will then run any DVD from any place in the world.
How does one do that? I dont think my player should have a problem since it plays multiple formats but was just asking.
Old 14th September 2007, 13:13   #7
BHPian

what is the Make and model number of your DVD player

Last edited by bill1182 : 14th September 2007 at 13:15.
Old 14th September 2007, 13:24   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Your DVD player also must play NTSC material, with an option like
NTSC playback on PAL TV (or you may need a multi system TV).
Old 14th September 2007, 13:28   #9
Team-BHP Support

Dippy, let me try and answer your queries.

1. No your Sony will not play the US DVDs by default. Most US DVDs are region coded and will not play on anything except the US players or the universal ones. Sony also restricts the US DVDs.

2. You can make your Sony player universal with a little cooperation from the service guys.

I am hoping its a new system purchased a few days back. Just go back to the place from where you purchased it and say you are going to dump it back on them as it does not play half of the DVDs that you have in your collection. Play dumb and let them ask the questions and then 'discover' that many of your DVDs were procured from US and other places of the world and that your old system used to play them fine.

At this stage they will try to placate you saying that they will send the service station guys to your place to sort the issue out. They will come and flash the in-built memory of the player (I think they bring a different chip and replace it) and it will start playing every DVD.

Remember the trick is in playing dumb, one to whom they can not explain the mumbo jumbos of what Region Codes are. Only then they yield to the request. Otherwise as it happened with another one of my acquaintaces they just refused to do anything about it and lectured him on how Sony is a responsible company and is dead against piracy. Of course it happens at a much lower level. If you try and approach someone senior it won't work. But the showroom guy in order to make the sale will pull strings from below and get it done.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th September 2007 at 13:30.
Old 14th September 2007, 13:32   #10
BHPian

Hai,
Just check at the back of your DVD player.
The region code of your player will be displayed there.If its mentioned All within a circle it will play US DVD's too.Else it wont.I think US Region code is 1 or something and ours is different.
Old 14th September 2007, 13:34   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what is the Make and model number of your DVD player
I dont remember but its something like DZ120 or something. I bought it around 4 months ago. Its a 5.1 system.

About my TV its a Philips 32" LCD .
Old 14th September 2007, 13:36   #12
BHPian

check the manual and see if it plays all regions..
Old 14th September 2007, 13:36   #13
BHPian

The region code will be shown behind your player,mostly on the right top corner.
pls check this image.If it reads All,then it will play US DVD's too.
Old 14th September 2007, 13:40   #14
BHPian

Dippy,
The region code's supported by your DVD player will be printed on the backside of your player on the Top right corner.If it reads ALL,then you will be able to play the US DVD's.I think US region code is 1 and Asia region code is 5 or something.If your DVD player mentions only 5,then it will not.Please refer the image below.
Old 14th September 2007, 13:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

In case the DVD set arrives (yes, go ahead and get it!) and you find it is region coded to RC1 (US), AND your DVD player does not play them, there are the following options:
1) Pick up the cheapest generic Chinese-made DVD player from the market (typical cost Rs.2000/- or less). It will almost certainly be all region capable, or as it is called - 'region-free'.
2) Ask a software-savvy friend to make 'REGION-FREE' copies for you from your 'originals', on his computer. No problem at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks