Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2007, 21:58   #1
BHPian

Partially stolen onkyo system - need speaker suggestions

Hi All,

As some of you maybe aware, a lot of my electronics were stolen this diwali http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...hts-shine.html
Amongst these were the speakers of my 7.1 onkyo home theatre system - HT-S990THX(S).
This is the only completely thx certified system, where-in everything from the receiver to the sub and 7 speakers meet thx specs.
The 2 front and 4 surround speakers have been stolen and I am left with the receiver, sub and center speaker.
From the detailed specs given here on the receiver and the old speakers ONKYO SIGHT & SOUND - INDIA
what would be some good matching replacement speakers
I am planning to firstly get two floor standers for front speakers and get to 3.1 config.
Then in next phases move to 5.1 by adding 2 surrounds and then 7.1 spec after adding final 2 surrounds.
My budget for fronts would be anything between 20 to 30k, maybe 35k max My usage is mostly movies (typically action, scifi with lotsa sound effects) and rock music

I currently am looking at following
1) Home Audio > Sonus Series Sonus 2605 seems like a perfect match 8ohm 130watt however freq response on higher end is not as good as the old speaker. Price ??
2) Jamo 606 - S 60 i heard this at the jamo dealer in garuda mall it seemed good with low freqs and was priced at 27k odd. The dealer also mentioned another model 750 something at 38k. Should i look at concert series or s708, and how expensive is that. Also these are 6ohm speakers, will they work?
3) what are the models to consider in KEF - iq5 ??
4) what are the models to consider in polkaudio - rti8 ??
5) any other speakers i should consider, onkyo, etc

Accordingly what are the surrounds i should consider for phase II (5.1) and phase III (7.1)

waiting for your expert advice

Last edited by jassi : 26th November 2007 at 22:00.
Old 26th November 2007, 22:29   #2
BHPian

just to add to the above - i did ask onkyo area manager if it was possible to get original replacements and he said it would cost me more than 60k to order those speakers as spares instead he said I should look at some other onkyo speakers
Old 26th November 2007, 23:05   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jassi View Post
Other speaker brands that are worth a listen:
- Klipsch
- Paradigm
- Infinity

I heard these, and they sounded great, though I am no expert!
Old 26th November 2007, 23:07   #4
BHPian

isn't jamo a klipsch company - I have never seen a klipsch store in bangy - have been to jamo store though
Old 27th November 2007, 02:50   #5
Senior - BHPian

Have listened to jamo once, didnt like it at all.

the low bass was not there, it was not just me, all three of my friends who were there felt the same.

we went to the same place, garuda mall, first or second floor. dont remember which

Last edited by govigov : 27th November 2007 at 02:51.
Old 27th November 2007, 09:25   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am planning to firstly get two floor standers for front speakers and get to 3.1 config.
3) what are the models to consider in KEF - iq5 ??
4) what are the models to consider in polkaudio - rti8 ??
It is usually imperitive that the front 3 speakers have the same sonic signature. without having heard the onkyo center speaker it is had to say which of the choices you have listed will match best.

Others I'd consider are JM Lab (Chorus 714), Monitor Audio (Bronze B4), B&W (602.5 S3), Acoustic Energy (Evo 3), Mordant Short, and I wold also listen to a few that are outside the that might be just outside your price range like Epos.
Old 27th November 2007, 09:33   #7
BHPian

sonic signature ?? man i gotta lot to learn
all i can tell is the specs of let over center speaker - its a 2-Way Acoustic-Suspension Center Speaker with 12 cm A-OMF diaphragm woofer x 2 and 2.5 cm soft-dome tweeter. Impedance is 8ohms and frequency response is 50hz t0 45khz, infact thats the same freq resp for all 7 speakers (i guess to get the thx cert) and all speakers including center were rated at 130Watts. I doubt if you can make the sonic signature out of just specs but still it may give some idea
Old 27th November 2007, 09:36   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
sonic signature ?? man i gotta lot to learn
all i can tell is the specs of let over center speaker.. I doubt if you can make the sonic signature out of just specs but still it may give some idea
why dont you carry your center speaker with you when you audition the left and right speakers. this will ensure that they sound the same. remember the objecft of 7.1 is so that one does not even know that he/she is listening to 7 speakers. the sound should move seamlessly acround the room.

Last edited by navin : 27th November 2007 at 09:46.
Old 27th November 2007, 09:48   #9
BHPian

Jassi,
As you said that your budget for fronts is 35K max, so by the time you add the surrounds, you would have easily crossed 60K. I understand that you do not want to spend 60K at one go, at this point in time.
But won't it be better if you, maybe wait for some time if reqd, and then get the original replacement speakers. That way, you would be assured that they are a perfect match and would also save all the hassle.
Old 27th November 2007, 12:22   #10
BHPian

JASSI HAVE YOU FORTIFIED YOUR PLACE ? I think it will be better if u spend on that and then consider get anything of high value ! Insurance is also a must in your case !!
In your next trip do get the Archos 605 (160 gb version). ITS ONE HELL OF A TOY !!
Old 27th November 2007, 15:49   #11
BHPian

basically i dont want to get the same stuff again because i will be content with a 3.1 for quite sometime as the new place I am shifting to is a bit smaller and hence I plan to stay at 3.1 for as long as possible. Although if i do get a good deal on surrounds I wouldn't mind upgrading sooner than planned. Another point is that onkyo guys are themselves not interested in helping me get the same speakers back and they said adding duties n all it will cost a bomb maybe 60k maybe much much more hence I dropped that plan

nikunj - i am getting either zicom or bosch (will start a thread on this) as well as insurance once i shift and basically wont be buying speakers or any gadgets until i shift. Archos 605 160gb is what i have already set my eyes on (given that i was an ex-owner of archos 604 30gb and 504 100gb) and maybe a 40gb PS3 probably from US or india (undecided yet) as I dont need PS2 backward compatibility
Old 27th November 2007, 16:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Jassi if you are looking for entry level floorstanders, do check the wharfedale diamond 8.4. The dealers in bangalore are Vector (brigade road) and Decibels (Gem Plaza, Infantry road). A pair should be around 19 grand, maybe less.
Old 27th November 2007, 16:24   #13
BHPian

Quote:
basically i dont want to get the same stuff again because i will be content with a 3.1 for quite sometime as the new place I am shifting to is a bit smaller and hence I plan to stay at 3.1 for as long as possible. Although if i do get a good deal on surrounds I wouldn't mind upgrading sooner than planned. Another point is that onkyo guys are themselves not interested in helping me get the same speakers back and they said adding duties n all it will cost a bomb maybe 60k maybe much much more hence I dropped that plan

nikunj - i am getting either zicom or bosch (will start a thread on this) as well as insurance once i shift and basically wont be buying speakers or any gadgets until i shift. Archos 605 160gb is what i have already set my eyes on (given that i was an ex-owner of archos 604 30gb and 504 100gb) and maybe a 40gb PS3 probably from US or india (undecided yet) as I dont need PS2 backward compatibility
Get everything you want from the US yaar , in some cases they get upto 70% cheaper than India , if money is a factor in your case
Old 27th November 2007, 20:07   #14
Senior - BHPian

If one has somebody to mule the speakers on, nothing like it. You get some seriously good deals on audiogon. A six month old Dynaudio Special 25 is going at 2400$. The same speaker sells in india for 2.6 lacs
Old 27th November 2007, 22:21   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
You get some seriously good deals on audiogon.
shipping floor standers from the US?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks