Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Which format would you go for?
HD-DVD 5 16.13%
Bluray 22 70.97%
DVD 7 22.58%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2008, 00:00   #31
Senior - BHPian

got it . SD cards. thats the reason why people dont care for HD DVD any more. with cheap and plentiful alternative storage available, and with players which can play content straight off these media , USB drives, SD cards, proprietary physical media formats are less and less in demand.

When I archive my data , I prefer to use read only media for the job. The fact that the data cant be accidentally lost is reassured... and the chances of a well preserved physical optical media losing the data in entirety is low. On the other hand , the USB drive can decide to die all of a sudden.
Old 26th August 2008, 00:06   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
got it . SD cards. thats the reason why people dont care for HD DVD any more.

When I archive my data , I prefer to use read only media for the job.
Sorry for mixing up SD cards and SD RAM. I was refering to the SD cards one uses in cameras. Isn't SD RAM (the motherboard variety) discontinued from what I know only DDR2 and DDR3 are current.

What about a USB Hard disk. I know it is a moving hard disk but I have not had one fail for many years and they really get knocked around. I even check in my USB Hard disk (packed inside my clothes) when I travel.

Also so far I have not had a SD card or pen/thumb drive die. I think they are pretty rugged now and in any case one can use a USB Hard Disk for back up.
Old 26th August 2008, 07:29   #33
Senior - BHPian

for sharing and transferring, they are okay.For archiving, I'd still stick to optical media. Nothing like some good Taiyo Yuden DVD's . I think I'll wait for some other bhpians to comment on this as well
Old 26th August 2008, 09:45   #34
Senior - BHPian

I think we've strayed sufficiently beyond the realms of computer configuration and It might need to be on a thread of its own , or maybe merged with these slightly related threads
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ray-discs.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...-hd-dvd-2.html
Old 26th August 2008, 09:59   #35
Team-BHP Support

guys, posts 21-34 were moved here from the "Help with Computer Configuration" thread. Since these posts dealt more with Blue Ray than with computers we (Green horn and I) feel that it might serve a better purpose here besides it was cluttering up the Computer Configuration thread. If you dont follow these posts look at posts 240-246 in Computer COnfiguration for the back ground.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks