Team-BHP - The Headphones Thread
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   The Headphones Thread (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/32319-headphones-thread-3.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maibaa (Post 690528)
Great choice @Kaushik. I have a pair or Etymotic ER6i that I had purchased in the US. These are lovely sounding canal phones though lacking in bass a bit. Having said that, they produce accurate tight bass unlike other phones that produce boomy bass.

Yeah, even I've noticed that but somehow I started liking the lack of boomy bass.The sound seems pretty accurate(using VBR mp3 with max 320kbps).Listened to it for an hour yesterday and it's sounding better and better. But if I compare it with the Audio-Technica then I think Audio Technica sounds lil' better, at least to my inexperienced ears.

The perceived lack of bass is probably because the portable device is having trouble driving the headphone. You might wanna build yourself a cheap CMoy amp.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 691534)
The perceived lack of bass is probably because the portable device is having trouble driving the headphone. You might wanna build yourself a cheap CMoy amp.

@ ROC, I don't think that is the case with the ER6i when used with an Ipod. They are specifically designed for the Ipod and the Ipod has enough power to drive them.

The perceived lack of bass is not the absence of bass but more accurate reproduction of bass as intended by the music composer. Most other headphones enhance the bass levels to sound better.

When using the etymotics, the key is to insert the phones well inside the ear canal to get a good seal, good bass and beautiful sound.

I wasn't talking about the etys. I was talking about his Audio Technica. The er6i should be perfectly okay driven off an ipod.

Quote:

Originally Posted by reignofchaos (Post 691534)

Build myself ..Hmmm that would be interesting.But I'm not very good at doing DIY.
I'll be playing the headphone for watching a movie.I hope that sony mini I've have enough power to drive them.Let's see, today I'll test this.

I am using panasonic full size headphones. Edit: found the details : click here
Performance wise, they are very good. Even on max volume, the clarity stays there. I guess i had them for a year maybe. The only thing i noticed is a shhhh sound when i increase or decrease volume.
[when using with a laptop]

In addition to that i got these by panasonic. Extremely good voice clarity.
Voice remains clear even on max volume [when using with a laptop/ipod]

Some lessons i learnt :
Go in for headphones which have one cable and have a volume changer on it. The single cable look cool.

Headphones with warranty are certainly good. Though you may not get like 3 months or something. Who cares BTW.

If you wear specs, the over the ear type of headphones will cause strain on the ear as the pressure of the headphone design pushes the ear back.
This will only happen if worn for a long period, that period may differ.

Neck back type headphones are good till the band wraps your head from behind. You may have some problems using a head rest as the plastic band may interfere.
I saw a philips neck back type headphone which had a elastic band instead of a plastic band. the wire was coming out from the center of the elastic band, in line with the spinal cord
It was packed but i am assuming they may fit better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsrakkar (Post 690179)

Going by the various reviews, I am quite inclined towards the MS-1s.

Scaryskulls, when you go over to your friend to audition the headphones, can you give the due consideration to their size? please:

My friend puts up in Mohali and I havent found time to go to him for the audition. It is even delaying my own purchase, but I wont plonk in money without an audition.

Yes, I will take care of the size thingie.

I'm looking for earphone/headpone for about $50-70 and have shortlisted few.So guys need your help ASAP.

V-moda

AKG K26P

Sennheiser Cx300S

--Doesn't matter if its earphone/headphone but would prefer earphone if both would offer SAME SQ.
--budget strictly under $75:)
--sound should not be either bass or treble heavy
--Most probably has to decide by today evening.
--any other alternative apart from listed above.

how about something from the crossroads stable :)
Alternately, the Creative EP 630, which is considered a clone of the CX300 is available for <1k in india :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsjaurr (Post 800651)
I'm looking for earphone/headpone for about $50-70 and have shortlisted few.So guys need your help ASAP.

V-moda

AKG K26P

Sennheiser Cx300S

--Doesn't matter if its earphone/headphone but would prefer earphone if both would offer SAME SQ.
--budget strictly under $75:)
--sound should not be either bass or treble heavy
--Most probably has to decide by today evening.
--any other alternative apart from listed above.

If you can source an Ultimate Ears Superfi.3, it'll be significantly better than any of these. Also there's the Altec Lansing IM716 to consider as well.

I have two of the earphones mentioned there. The V-moda Vibe and the CX-300.

The CX-300 and EP-630 are basically similar things. They are bass heavy but enjoyable. Not really a true representation of sound.

Not used the AKG so wont comment on that. The V-moda is nice, has a good level of detail and is not too bassy.

Did someone mention crossroads? :)
greenhorn where did you get yours from? I have used two crossroads mylarones. A x3i and lbi. Most VFM earphone I bought to date. Not the most rugged ofc. If you are willing to take good care of it, it will serve you well. Better SQ than the other three mentioned above.

The superfi3 or the IM716 (production stopped?) may give you more accurate sound, but dont think they would fit in your budget.

i dont have one yet, but have read some good reviews, and I just entered a contest where i *might* win one :D
PS: you think they are bass heavy? their sound is quite light compared to my full size 'phones - a philips HP 805 and a sony XD 200 ( now THAT's bass heavy)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sks_Biker (Post 800707)
I have two of the earphones mentioned there. The V-moda Vibe and the CX-300.

The CX-300 and EP-630 are basically similar things. They are bass heavy but enjoyable. Not really a true representation of sound.

Not used the AKG so wont comment on that. The V-moda is nice, has a good level of detail and is not too bassy.

Did someone mention crossroads? :)
greenhorn where did you get yours from? I have used two crossroads mylarones. A x3i and lbi. Most VFM earphone I bought to date. Not the most rugged ofc. If you are willing to take good care of it, it will serve you well. Better SQ than the other three mentioned above.

The superfi3 or the IM716 (production stopped?) may give you more accurate sound, but dont think they would fit in your budget.

I purchased a superfi last year for a friend. Costed 78$. The IM716 can be had for 50$ now as they stopped production.

Contest at jaben? :)

Bass heavy? If you are talking about the mylarones, you have 4 types of them available to suit your choice. From bass centric to light:

XBi -> LBi -> X3i -> SVi

I wouldn't call them bass heavy (except the XBi). The philips and the sony I would say are boomy, not necessarily bassy. You have to listen to the controlled bass of the X3i to appreciate it.

I recently got the Sennheiser HD 437. Great sound quality.
MRP is 1600, though you should be able to bargain.