Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th February 2012, 20:29   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: APC UPS: Good Service EDIT: Now a bad service experience added as well

Sorry to pick up an old thread. I have an APC Back UPS ES 650 which I use for my PC and modem. Today, it started giving out two short beeps every second and the indicator light is alternating between amber and green color. The battery seems to be dead and it no longer work as a UPS, just a power connector. The UPS is about 3 years old. Is there any place where I can get a replacement battery for this? Do I need to contact APC for the same? I have been looking for a contact number in Bangalore for customer support and the number I saw in brochure seems to be invalid. Are there any service contact numbers?
Old 17th February 2012, 20:53   #47
rkg
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasoo View Post
Sorry to pick up an old thread. I have an APC Back UPS ES 650 which I use for my PC and modem. Today, it started giving out two short beeps every second and the indicator light is alternating between amber and green color. The battery seems to be dead and it no longer work as a UPS, just a power connector. The UPS is about 3 years old. Is there any place where I can get a replacement battery for this? Do I need to contact APC for the same? I have been looking for a contact number in Bangalore for customer support and the number I saw in brochure seems to be invalid. Are there any service contact numbers?
Just junk the APC and buy some thing else. APC UPS are like that. they give trouble immediately after warranty and the service guys( outsourced by APC for each area, all are mostly independent).

these guys quote you whatever they like. but minimum will be 1500/- with no guarantee that repaired one will work even for 30 days. at the most they offer you one week. it generally last only 10 days. again you have to pay 1500/ or even more

just open mouthshut and see.

i have bitter experiences. i had similar problem like yours and was told it was battery problem. i replaced battery , then it was clear it is APC UPS problem. He charged me 1200/ without any bill. most of APC service guys do not give any bill and do not mention what repair was carried out

another thing if you have multimeter check voltage out put in inverter mode. I have 2 APC systems. in both, the out put was 260-270 volts in inverter mode. unfortunately i have noticed it after warranty

Finally just thrown APC out and bought xenon sinewave one for 5K

Last edited by rkg : 17th February 2012 at 20:54.
Old 18th February 2012, 17:29   #48
BHPian

Quote:
The battery on my APC UPS also died last year. I picked up a compatible battery from an Excide battery re-seller (they also sold car batteries). It was a perfect fit. I think I paid around Rs.700/-

As of two days ago, my APC UPS has stopped working. Gives one faint beep every 30 seconds, removed the battery for one day and put it back, but still no solution. Can't find a way to reset it.
Any ideas?
Old 12th March 2014, 18:43   #49
Senior - BHPian

My APC BE700Y-IN UPS is not starting now, without power. So it seems battery is gone. This is just within the two year period - so I am kinda disappointed with the quality of the battery. Our usage is minimal and I see no reason why the battery could not last 3 year period.
The replacement on ebay seems to be around 1700 Rs. mark. What alternatives do I have?
I think it was a 12AH battery.
Old 12th March 2014, 19:25   #50
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@rkg
Just buy a replacement 7ah battery from a battery dealer,some people also fit a 9ah battery of the same size for higher back up time.

@SUN
The SMA batteries in UPS or inverters or for that matter electric two wheelers have a really low life.It doesn't matter what brand it is.

If you want a higher battery back up and don't mind connecting a battery extension wires to the outside .You could connect a Flooder Tubular battery of 28AH or even a SMA battery of higher capacity of around 28Ah.
There will be no harm in doing this,except for the fact that the charge time will take twice as long.

Last edited by aim120 : 12th March 2014 at 19:29.
Old 14th March 2014, 14:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Just got my Smart UPS XL 1500VA fixed last week - the fan was making way too much noise. At least for me, the service support was excellent.
Old 14th March 2014, 16:33   #52
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
Just got my Smart UPS XL 1500VA fixed last week - the fan was making way too much noise. At least for me, the service support was excellent.
Did APC fix that issue with noise?

I solved that issue in my smart 1000 XLI (after warranty got over)by attaching two 12v fans in series vs the single 24v one inside.I also later added a $3 DC to DC converter so that it wouldn't fry those fans.So now it runs a lot quieter, just like a quiet pc.
Old 14th March 2014, 17:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Did APC fix that issue with noise?

I solved that issue in my smart 1000 XLI (after warranty got over)by attaching two 12v fans in series vs the single 24v one inside.I also later added a $3 DC to DC converter so that it wouldn't fry those fans.So now it runs a lot quieter, just like a quiet pc.
Yep the fan's bearing had gone bad. It has been replaced as well as the batteries. The new one is still noisy but better than the old one.
Old 19th July 2021, 13:58   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to pick up an old thread. I have an APC Back UPS ES 650 which I use for my PC and modem. --------I saw in brochure seems to be invalid. Are there any service contact numbers?
I have a APC UPS BackUPS 600 which is more than 4 years old. It was not providing backup for more than a minute or two at most (It supports a small LED lamp and my modem/router only). I called APC helpline (google has the correct helpline number) and they told me they can either arrange for someone to visit or I can call or visit any of their authorized service centers. I opted for the second and called up Ceiba Systems in Jay Nagar 7th Block. The came and replaced my original battery with an Exide 7aH battery. They charged me 1500 including visit charges.
After they went, I realized the battery lasted almost exactly the same duration as before. Called them back and they had no plausible explanation. I told them to replace again but to no avail. I have just relegated it to one of those things that happened to me :(
FYI contact numbers : Venkatesh - 9844079710

There is another one in Mathikere which I have not called. Contact person's name is Shilpa. No. 9611197233.

PS: I am in no way associated with them. I have given their names and numbers purely for informational purposes. Hope it helps someone.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks