Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2008, 13:36   #1
BHPian

Got Vista(Ultimate/Business) with your computer? Get XP Professional for free!

This is very useful information which I came across, I thought I must share it and educate the people here on TBHP so that it might be beneficial.

If you have an OEM copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, Microsoft has an option to downgrade it to XP Pro for free. And you can switch back to Vista whenever you feel like upgrading. All this for free!

I got my Dell XPS m1330 with Vista Business. I called up Microsoft India to confirm this, and it has turned out to be true. Microsoft will give me a genuine licence key + activate win xp pro for me, if I require it!

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rade_chart.doc
Old 21st January 2008, 13:59   #2
SUV
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopz View Post
This is very useful information which I came across, I thought I must share it and educate the people here on TBHP so that it might be beneficial.

If you have an OEM copy of Vista Business or Vista Ultimate, Microsoft has an option to downgrade it to XP Pro for free. And you can switch back to Vista whenever you feel like upgrading. All this for free!

I got my Dell XPS m1330 with Vista Business. I called up Microsoft India to confirm this, and it has turned out to be true. Microsoft will give me a genuine licence key + activate win xp pro for me, if I require it!

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...rade_chart.doc

Yes, With MS Product family you are free to use any version lower than the license you have purchased...

OT : I have been using Vista for about 6 months now and have had no issues with it so far...
Old 21st January 2008, 13:59   #3
BHPian

wow..I didn't know this !..I thought microsoft had infact stopped all supplies of xp os to pc manufacturers..!..and thought downgrading from vista was impossible !..

-sr

Last edited by srasania : 21st January 2008 at 14:01.
Old 21st January 2008, 14:02   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania View Post
and thought downgrading from vista was impossible !..

-sr
well, downgrading from vista business and ultimate is possible right?..not from basic and premium..i guess?..or am i wrong?..
-sr
Old 21st January 2008, 14:17   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srasania View Post
well, downgrading from vista business and ultimate is possible right?..not from basic and premium..i guess?..or am i wrong?..
-sr
Yes, your guess is right. This option is available only for the business and ultimate users.
Old 21st January 2008, 21:59   #6
BHPian

This option is available for other products from Microsoft too, including Office 2007

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks