Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2008, 17:45   #1
Senior - BHPian

India unveils 'people's phone' for £10

I guess everyone wants to join the NANO with their own low cost people products. But Spice should have done their homework, you can pick up the Motorola F3 for as low as £5 in the UK (retail) so I dread to think how low the wholesale price is.

Also there are lots of cheap low end phones available in the Chinese market.

India unveils 'people's phone' for £10
Rhys Blakely In Bombay

India has already built the world's cheapest car — the £1,200 Tata Nano — now the country has delivered the telecoms equivalent: the £10 "people's phone".

The mobile handset, developed by Spice, an Indian conglomerate, is angled at the lowest end of the market.

This means that it has jettisoned all "non-essential" features — such as a screen.

"It is just a phone," Bhupendra Kumar Modi, the Spice chairman, who hopes to sell about ten million in the next year, confirmed.
Related Links

Mobile phones priced at less than £20 account for about a fifth of the global market.

However, with half the world's population yet to make a phone call and developing markets becoming saturated, manufacturers see massive potential in budget phones.

Spice will begin selling its people's phone in Asian markets from next month.

It suggests that prices can be stripped down further and that a £5 model is not far away.

India, the world's fastest-growing mobile market, where mobile subscribers are expected to more than double in the next three years, to 500 million, is a prime target for a budget player.

While Western markets are largely saturated, It is estimated that more than 870 million of India's 1.1 billion population are yet to own a mobile.

By contrast, in the UK, the number of mobiles beats the number of people, according to Ofcom, the regulator.

Vodafone, the world's largest mobile operator, recently said that it planned to invest $2 billion (£1 billion) in India this year.

The funds will be spent on infrastructure, retail outlets and advertising.

Virgin Mobile is expected to enter a partnership with Tata Teleservices in coming weeks.
Old 14th February 2008, 17:48   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

I wonder why an Indian product - that foreseeably will be sold in India , has its price displayed in Pounds Sterling
Old 14th February 2008, 17:52   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
I wonder why an Indian product - that foreseeably will be sold in India , has its price displayed in Pounds Sterling
Sorry forgot to provide the link to the article. It was in The Times newspaper published in the UK so I guess thats why the price is quoted as in £.

Here is the link India unveils 'people's phone' for £10 - Times Online

Spice are also launching a phone that plays films from disc, don't see the point in that one myself unless it is using ultra small discs, even then it will zap the battery etc. Plus why not just follow th eothers and play flms form memory card.
Old 14th February 2008, 18:49   #4
Senior - BHPian

Excellent phone to buy for the driver and other staff.
Old 14th February 2008, 19:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post
But Spice should have done their homework, you can pick up the Motorola F3 for as low as £5 in the UK (retail) so I dread to think how low the wholesale price is.
UK prices are after operator subsidy which they recover through a tariff plan lock-in. You can get phones for free there - dont pay for the instrument, simply sign up for the plan.
Old 14th February 2008, 19:10   #6
Senior - BHPian

Guess how much I paid for my last phone (SE W300i) after I signed a 2 year plan. $-40. thats right paid 0 and got a credit of $40 on my first months bill.
Old 14th February 2008, 19:14   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
UK prices are after operator subsidy which they recover through a tariff plan lock-in. You can get phones for free there - dont pay for the instrument, simply sign up for the plan.
Not always. There are certain retailers who provide unlocked handsets when buying a new (prepaid) pay as you go phone. So there is no lock in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Guess how much I paid for my last phone (SE W300i) after I signed a 2 year plan. $-40. thats right paid 0 and got a credit of $40 on my first months bill.
2 years ago I got a free Samsung D520 on a years contract. After cashback etc the phone cost me £0 for the year.

Likewise last year I got a LG Prada for free on a years contract (400minute, 400 sms a month included). After redemption It will cost me £0 for 12 months.

Last edited by Rehaan : 14th February 2008 at 22:29.
Old 15th February 2008, 11:15   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigman View Post

Spice are also launching a phone that plays films from disc, don't see the point in that one myself unless it is using ultra small discs, even then it will zap the battery etc. Plus why not just follow the others and play films form memory card.
This is supposed to provide DVD quality video viewing. In fact it has an disk drive at the back. It can also be connected to a TV. The only problem being the disks which are proprietary. A good concept nonetheless.
The phone looks good aesthetically too.

source: Tech2.com India > Spice Mobile Showcases Video Handset > News on Multimedia Mobile
Old 16th February 2008, 07:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

got a razor for -100$ plus free bt earphone on a 2year att contract

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks