Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2008, 21:11   #1
BHPian

What is wrong with my UPS?

I have a Microtek Heritage+ 600 UPS. Whenever the electricity goes off, the generator kicks in after about 30 seconds or so. But the UPS goes into the red and continues to give beep sound. Isn't the UPS supposed to go back to the normal mode when the generator kicks in? After all, it should treat power as it is - whether it comes through the mains or the generator.
What's wrong with it? I am technically so please help.
Old 27th February 2008, 23:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

How old is the UPS ? I think the battery life is finished.
Old 27th February 2008, 23:37   #3
Team-BHP Support

I have a question. When your generator starts running have you tried putting in a tester in that plug point where the UPS is connected and see whether the power is available on that point?

Many a times the generators do not/can not supply power to the whole place. In such cases the wiring is done to keep the bare minimum things running. It is possible that the generators power never reaches that plug point.
Old 27th February 2008, 23:42   #4
BHPian

Assuming your UPS is in good health there are two reasons for this:

1. The genrator electricity and normal electricity is not the same. Generated electricity is more rough with huge fluctuations than the supplied electricity. If your UPS is really a good one it senses this rough load and cuts of the input electricity. But this will not happen in latest technology gensets as they have special equipments to smoothen the output power - but only very latest and technically advanced sets have this.

2. Normally many of the electrical appliances take more load to start than during the continuous running time. So the generated load during the initial few minutes would be less than sufficient if you are running too many appliances. This could also be a reason for the UPS to cut of the inpur power. Read the following to understand better:

"Electrical loads such as incandescent lamps and hot plates require the same wattage to start as is needed to maintain use.
Loads such as fluorescent lamps require 2 to 2 times the indicated wattage during start-up. Loads for mercury lamps require 2 to 3 times the indicated wattage during start-up.
Electrical motors require a large starting current. Power requirements depend on the type of motor and its use. Once enough "surge" is attained to start the motor, the appliance will require only 50% to 30% of the wattage to continue running.
Most electrical tools require 2 to 3 times their wattage for running under load during use. (For example, a 9,000 watt generator can power a 3,200 to 7,000 watt electrical tool.)
Loads such as submersible pumps, air conditioners and air compressors require a very large force to start. They need 3 to 5 times the normal running wattage in order to start. (For example, a 5,000 watt generator would only be able to drive a 1,800 to 3,100 watt pump.) "

Usually it is not advisable to run sensitive electronic items especially computers in generated power - better to have a long stand by UPS.
Old 27th February 2008, 23:47   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Many a times the generators do not/can not supply power to the whole place. In such cases the wiring is done to keep the bare minimum things running. It is possible that the generators power never reaches that plug point.
that is most probably the reason, please check if your point is being powered by the genset.
Old 28th February 2008, 07:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkdelhi View Post
I have a Microtek Heritage+ 600 UPS. Whenever the electricity goes off, the generator kicks in after about 30 seconds or so. But the UPS goes into the red and continues to give beep sound. Isn't the UPS supposed to go back to the normal mode when the generator kicks in? After all, it should treat power as it is - whether it comes through the mains or the generator.
What's wrong with it? I am technically so please help.
I am presuming this is is new UPS and does not work with the generator. No, all UPSs don't treat power as power - it treats them differently, so for it to work, your UPS has to be generator compatible. I think this Microtek model is not. I would suggest you change it for a Frontech model that is. There is also a PowerCom model that is generator compatible, but I would suggest you avoid it. I have lost 10 of those UPS (burnt) when on the generator line. The Frontech one works fine.
Old 28th February 2008, 16:12   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I have a question. When your generator starts running have you tried putting in a tester in that plug point where the UPS is connected and see whether the power is available on that point?

I would stick with the same reasoning as Zappo above.
In fact, a friend of mine whose apartments have generator backup told me that power is made available only to the lights and fans, and not to any power outlets. Yours could be the same case.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks