Team-BHP - BSNL Broadband Wireless Configuration
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Gadgets, Computers & Software (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/)
-   -   BSNL Broadband Wireless Configuration (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadgets-computers-software/36499-bsnl-broadband-wireless-configuration.html)

I have a BSNL Broadband connection at home with a Type 4 Modem from
BSNL. The modem is connected to my desktop through ethernet.

Since the type 4 modem also has WiFi, I am trying to use my laptop
to connect to the Wireless. From my laptop, I can see my modem in my
available Wireless Networks. I click connect, it takes around a minute &
then connects but I get a "Limited or No Connectivity" message.
The Signal Strength is full. The speed is 54.0 Mbps, but No connectivity.
Clicking on more Info in the "Limited or No Connecitivy" dialog in the 'Connection Status' shows - this problem occured because the network did not assign a network address to the computer.

When I run IPConfig from the laptop, I see
Configuration Specific DNS Suffic : -- Blank
Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.something.something.something
Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0
Default Gateway : -- Blank

When I run Ipconfig /renw.
It says error unable to contact your DHCP server. Request timed out.

What am I doing wrong? What else do I need to do?

I am assuming here that you have no security set on your modem.

I am also assuming that the modem is having all other settings other than the PPPoE mode set as default.

Assign your Wireless card the following IP address and DNS Servers:

IP: 192.168.1.123
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS 1: 218.248.255.145 (BSNL One)
DNS 2: 208.67.222.222 (OpenDNS - To Be Safe ;-|)

Try this and get back. I will also guide you through WiFi Security. Please provide us with your modem model no.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitB (Post 747404)

No - I set it up & then turned it off.

Quote:

I am also assuming that the modem is having all other settings other than the PPPoE mode set as default.
How do I see this?

I go to http://192.168.1.1
on my desktop
Under Wireless
1)Basic
-----
Enable Wireless [ check ]
Hide Access Point [unchecked]

Enable Wireless Gues [ unchecked]

2 )Security
--------
Network Auth - Open
WEP Encryption - Disabled
3)MAC Filter - Disabled
4)Wireless Bridge
AP Mode - Access Point
Bridge Restrict - Disabled

5) Advanced - lot of stuff
Quote:

Really helped a lot - I have got further than I did whole evening.
Now wireless shows connected. No error/warnings.
Unfortunately, I am still not able to browse.
Going to say google.com, Browser status bar says "Finding site:www.google.com" for sometime & then the page goes to "Cannot
find server".

Ping yahoo.com
Ping request could not find host yahoo.com. Please check the name and try again.

ping 66.94.234.13 [ Yahoo's IP]
Pinging 66.94.234.13 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.1: Destination net unreachable.

So help me - what is the problem.
From the 2nd ping - it may be that the gateway is not letting
anything through?

One question. When I connect through my desktop, the dialer(?) asks
for a username/password which I provide?

How come a wireless connection can be established without a username/password - is there a way to provide my username/password
to the modem when connecting to through the wireless? Is this what
I am missing - is this why the gateway isn't allowing me in?

Also do I need my desktop on & connected to BSNL for this work?
I tried either way, no diff.

Quote:

Try this and get back. I will also guide you through WiFi Security. Please provide us with your modem model no.
WA3002G4
Thanx a gazillion :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitB (Post 747404)

If the above post doesn't fix:

1. see the "Diagnostics" which should indicate "pass" for everything. Post what you see here.

2. see the "Management" > "System log" for any interesting information. Enable the log if necessary.

Ok so you are using the modem in bridged mode.

WA3002-g1 (Type-II) ADSL MODEM MULTIUSER CONFIGURATION

Use the above link and follow the steps. You will need to follow the guide for configuration for multi user.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitB (Post 747488)
Ok so you are using the modem in bridged mode.

I don't understand - what do you mean? I don't mind using it in any
mode you ask me to :-)
Quote:

WA3002-g1 (Type-II) ADSL MODEM MULTIUSER CONFIGURATION

Use the above link and follow the steps. You will need to follow the guide for configuration for multi user.
My menu doesn't have the options (interface, internet) listed there.
Also mine is G1(type 2) - it's G4 (type 4)

bridged mode is when you use your computer to dial.

We want your modem to dial and act as a gateway for your computers.

I would need some help from you here. Can you provide me with some screenshots of your modem's interface? You need to go to http://192.168.1.1 and provide me with the screens for your modem. I am unable to locate them on the internet.

Edit:
I have attached a new screen shot from BSNL's website for a similar modem. Try to see if your problem is solved using these instructions.

Carboy,

Try this.
note down the TCP/IP settings on your desktop that is connected.

Copy over the same settigs to your Laptop for

IP -
Subnet -
Def Gtw -
Prf DNS -
Alt DNS -

Except for the following change
the IP for your laptop change it by 1 digit
Eg: If your desktop IP is
set your laptop to

Hi,

> When I run IPConfig from the laptop, I see
> Configuration Specific DNS Suffic : -- Blank
> Autoconfiguration IP Address : 169.something.something.something
> Subnet mask : 255.255.0.0
> Default Gateway : -- Blank

Try the same thing in your desktop. If your desktop IP address is 192.168.1.2, try giving the laptop 192.168.1.3 and check.

If your Modem is DHCP enabled, then take out all the IP, DNS etc. and then try browsing.

He mentioned that he is using his desktop to dial so how will it help if he uses the same gateway on his laptop? He needs to use his modem in PPPoE mode.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitB (Post 747646)
He mentioned that he is using his desktop to dial

No - I didn't. I use my desktop to dial for my desktop broadband connection.
I want my laptop to function independently of my desktop - I have been
saying this from the beginning.

However copyng doesn't work.

The basic steps to make the modem dial and provide access to other computers connected to it:

1. Create a new WAN connection on the modem with 0-35 as the VPI-VCI settings.
2. Connection mode = PPPoE
3. Put in the username and password and the connect method (dial on demand/always on)
4. Save and reboot and test.

carboy, you need to follow the above steps and you should be able to achieve what you want. I am not getting the screens for your modem anywhere to guide you step-by-step. Let me know if things work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumitB (Post 747961)
The basic steps to make the modem dial and provide access to other computers connected to it:

1. Create a new WAN connection on the modem with 0-35 as the VPI-VCI settings.
2. Connection mode = PPPoE
3. Put in the username and password and the connect method (dial on demand/always on)
4. Save and reboot and test.

carboy, you need to follow the above steps and you should be able to achieve what you want. I am not getting the screens for your modem anywhere to guide you step-by-step. Let me know if things work.

Sumit - I found a forum where are there are some instructions

UTStarcom WA3002g4 and nokia wifi phones. - Page 2 - India Broadband Forum

I am going to try it out in the evening.

I hope Editing the 0-35 thingy won't disrupt my existing desktop connection.
What the hell is Igmp & QoS, by the way.

Your existing desktop connection will then not have to dial out. It will also be configured to use your modem as your laptop. The IP address will have to be changed and you will be good to go.

Dial out? WHY? You should be setting it up as a GATEWAY! On the desktop, you only have to specify the Gateway address as 192.168.1.1 (or 0.1, as the case may be - check the manual whether it is 192.168.0.1 or 1.1). The modem dials out automatically - check via the admin screen of the box - as soon as it senses the line. You can disconnect / connect via the Admin screen (username & password is mentioned in the modem manual).

Your PC / laptop has to be in the same LAN segment, i.e. all the IPs on your home network have to be 192.168.1.xx (or 192.168.0.xx). Of course, you can change that prefix to whatever, but that is an involved process.

Best is to have DHCP enabled in your ADSL modem/router, so that any device (laptop, mobile, media player etc.) can get the TCP/IP settings in your house automatically. That way, you will be able to connect the laptop to the WiFi in office or any other hot-spot without having to make any changes to TCP/IP settings. (If your office has given a fixed IP for your laptop, you can use the "Alternate" setting as the fixed address and keep the primary one as DHCP; the driver automatically figures out which one to use)

1. Get into the admin screen of the router: http 192.168.1.1 (or 0.1)
2. Enable DHCP (factory setting is normally OFF in the modem/router) and give it a range to play with, say 192.168.1.129-.254
3. Better setup security - you have to enter a pass-phrase in the router which you will have to re-enter in your laptop also. If you don't, someone in your vicinity may be able to hack into your wi-fi and use your bandwidth:D. Also set up your wireless domain name
4. Set up laptop to sense DHCP: Network Properties > Wireless LAN properties > Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)) > "Obtain an IP address automatically". Make sure the boxes below don't contain anything
5. Right click on the Wireless Network icon in the System Tray (I am assuming you have Win XX) and setup the security under Properties (enter the same pass-phrase that you entered in the modem/router; you may be given the choice of entering ASCII HEX or as a string). Once the process is completed, the laptop Wifi driver should be able to connect to the ADSL modem/router.
6. Now check with ipconfig: it should list the IP address, mask, default gateway etc.
7. Do the ping test - hopefully everything works fine after that

Sorry, I didn't have a laptop handy so I couldn't give the exact terminology and messages. Please adjust!:)