Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2008, 20:24   #1
BHPian

Graphics problem

Of late my computer has been acting up showing green ,pink and balck coloured line on the screen similar to the screenshot I have attached below. After such lines appear the computer hangs for a moment and the display goes off after a beep only to return again, this keeps on reapeating untill the computer finally restarts again.

The problem occurs only when the NVIDIA drivers are installed and does not occur either in safe mode or when I run the computer normally without the NVIDIA drivers,i.e, when windows uses its own drivers. I have tried reinstalling the NVIDIA drivers but the problem still continued, even after I tried different NVIDIA driver versions ( 93.71, 94.24 ,163.71 and 169.21 ). None of these divers are working even though they are all comapritable with my Graphics Card, a NVIDIA 6200.
Attached Thumbnails
Graphics problem-untitled1.jpg  

Old 12th March 2008, 20:35   #2
Senior - BHPian

I had the similar problem with my Nvidia Graphic card,i used to get lines and then used to vanish,again when i used to play NFS UG2 i used to get flickering in the screen like you get when your cell phone is near the monitor,then i could see broken graphics as if someone have crushed a paper from centre.

As it was in warranty the dealer replaced the card and now its super.
I was using Nvidia 5700LE,now i am using Radeon X1300 PCIE.
Old 12th March 2008, 20:57   #3
BHPian

Most probably its a graphics card issue. Might have to replace...
If you have another monitor at disposal, try connecting it to see if this happens in that monitor also.
Old 12th March 2008, 21:52   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkrishn View Post
Most probably its a graphics card issue. Might have to replace...
If you have another monitor at disposal, try connecting it to see if this happens in that monitor also.
But if the Graphic card or monitor is at fault, then why is the computer running fine without the drivers in safe mode ? Still l have another card, will check with that. But IMHO, it appears to be a software problem rather than a hardware one. Guys, please advise.

P.S- Just noticed, the screenshot I have posted is a liltle low on sharpness, probably due to the aggresive resize from the 1440 x 900, please note the display is completely normal except those lines.

Last edited by revvedup : 12th March 2008 at 22:06.
Old 12th March 2008, 22:15   #5
BHPian

I used to face this prob on My old Pentium 3. This seem to be a problem with the RAM, Just remove it from the slot, clean the contacts with an eraser, blow into the slot and put it back in. This should solve the problem. Hope this helps!
Old 13th March 2008, 00:30   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
But if the Graphic card or monitor is at fault, then why is the computer running fine without the drivers in safe mode ?
I felt it must be gfx card issue because, i have seen similar issue once with an ATI card. And it was the card's fault.

And since you have tried different driver versions i excluded the SW here. Next step would be to try to isolate HWs one by one. gfx card, monitor, and then as ripper said memory also... try replacing one by one.

In safe mode and when driver is not loaded, the gfx mode is default vga mode. And the card might not be stressed at all... since it is working at a much lower resolution.
Old 13th March 2008, 01:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revvedup View Post
But if the Graphic card or monitor is at fault, then why is the computer running fine without the drivers in safe mode ? Still l have another card, will check with that. But IMHO, it appears to be a software problem rather than a hardware one.
I'll tell you why it might be a hardware problem. when you're running in safe mode, most of the jobs which are supposed to be done by the 'card is done by the cpu , since the drivers are disabled.

when the drivers are enabled, the cpu offloads these tasks to the GPU, and thats when its hardware issues come to light.

Ripper's post is also valid. Dying/dead ram also manifests problems like these. Do you have two sticks of RAM? try using each once.otherwise, try to get a good stick of ram from elsewhere to confirm
Old 13th March 2008, 04:46   #8
BHPian

Thanks Gkrishn,greenhorn and ripper it was indeed a Graphics card problem. Now with my vintage NVIDIA GEforce MX 100/200 card slotted in, there are no problems. Although I forgot to mention that the power supply I am running isn't what you would call avant grade with a mentioned total load of 130W @5.5 +3.3 V and a maximum of 250 watts, moreover it had recently stopped working only to be rectified later after a capacitor change. Do you think this was the cause of the earlier problem or is there a problem with the card itself ? If yes which power supply should I buy to replace it ?
here's my computer config

Intel Pentium 4 @2.8 GHZ with hyperthreading technology with FSB bus of 800 mhz
Intel 865GBF orignal motherboard
Corsair Value select Dual channe1gb@800 Mhz ram
Nvidia Geforce 6200 @256 mb ddr graphics card
Creative audigy 2 Value Sound card
Old 13th March 2008, 07:43   #9
BHPian

Amey suggested this else where in this forum...

Quote:
Corsair VX450W PSU = 4k Rs
Old 13th March 2008, 07:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

I wouldnt use a refurb PSU- they dont last long, and might kill something else

@ gkrishn= revvedup is running a rather ordinary setup. a generic 400W psu ( cost <1k) with 17+ amps on the 12V should be fine

Last edited by greenhorn : 13th March 2008 at 07:47.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:24   #11
Senior - BHPian

Cooler master generic power supply comes for Rs 1k I would suggest to atleast go for that.
Old 13th March 2008, 11:24   #12
BHPian

So do you think that the PSU could be the culprit or is it the card itself ? I had actually bought a 450W odessey PSU but it was not comparitable with my motherboard. Which brand's PSU would you recmmend ?
Old 13th March 2008, 12:04   #13
Team-BHP Support

The only thing that changed at your end is driver. So the problem could be software, not hardware. From your post it appears everything was working fine before you upgraded the drivers.

I don't know how but I think you somehow enabled show GPU load balancing.

Go to NVIDIA control panel, and remove the "Show GPU load balancing" option.

If thats not the problem, download drivers from NVIDIA site and not from their partners
Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers
Old 16th March 2008, 16:05   #14
Senior - BHPian

revvedup, if by 'not compatible ' you mean that mobo has a 20 pin socket, and the psu is a 24 pin, you can still connect it

tsk, the load balancing line would look like the green lines in this pic
http://www.nvnews.net/reviews/msi_ge...cing_afr_s.jpg
but yes, it could still be a driver issue , since he doesn't have the issue in safe mode.

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th March 2008 at 16:11.
Old 16th March 2008, 16:16   #15
Team-BHP Support

I spoke to him and it appears the problem first came when he hooked a 250W or lesser power supply.
Have asked him to get a 450W one and tell if the problem persists.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks