Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2009, 19:58   #16
BANNED

I added 512 MB DDR type 1 ram to already existing 512 MB on AMD 64 2800+ processor, and the speeds have increased fantastically.

I suggest you consider chucking the two memory cards, and get two memoriy cards each of 1 GB. That may turn out to be cheaper.

Edit:- I also suggest you have at least 3 - 5 GB freee in the C:// drive so that the system can swap easily.

You can have a additional video card on the existing mo bo. A new hard disk too may speed up things - provided it is ata66 / 133. (I doubt if your mobo supports sata.)

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 8th December 2009 at 20:05.
Old 9th December 2009, 09:58   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gendarmee View Post
(Didnt upgrade the PC because the wi-fi motherboard was discontinued)

Now...The PC is restarting every 10-15 minutes after windows loads. On booting, at times, it re-boots endlessly right after the bios screen shows up...the UPS's battery is getting drained in just 12 hours of use. Normally, the PC is shut down only in case of a power cut. What could possibly be the reason.

Try out the following Trouble shooting Checkpoints...gud luck

1.Have you made any changes to the hardware configuration /added any new stuff. If yes remove it & try to run.
2.An over heated CPU some time acts weirdly check the heat sink contacts.
3.Try to remove the RAM and clean it & fix it tight. Check for any loose contacts /connections.
4.Check the power supply.
Old 17th December 2009, 18:11   #18
BHPian

I'd check for windows issues, and the hardware..but nothing seemed to fix the problem hence posted here...Approximately an hour after I made the post here, the CPU started smoking. Turned off the UPS and found that the power cable was hot. On splitting the outer cover found this. Guess its pretty unusual for something like this to happen, was lucky to be around when it did happen.

Got the SMPS checked and added 2GB ram to the CPU, took a lot of permutations and combinations to make the ram work though. But now the comp is way faster. Photo shop loads in 1 second flat. used to take 10-15s before. The UPS has been working normally since too.

Cleaning- Normally clean the CPU with pressurized air, once in a month. A year ago, I'd removed the processor's fan to clean it separately, found some dried gluey substance under the copper part, which I meticulously scraped off. Does that have any significance?

Last question- Can windows 7 be installed on an old system?
Attached Thumbnails
New CPU EDIT : Old CPU issues-powercable.jpg  

New CPU EDIT : Old CPU issues-powercable.jpg  

Last edited by gendarmee : 17th December 2009 at 18:15.
Old 17th December 2009, 20:58   #19
BANNED

Dude, that "dry gluey" thing is thermal paste. Removing it will inhibit cooling of the processor - the chip. I suggest you fix it by applying thermal paste again. Have not done, nor will I dare to do this myself, so find your own way around. ;-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks