Team-BHP > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2008, 11:06   #1
Senior - BHPian

World's smallest Cellphone

The Guinness World Records named the Modu phone as the lightest cell phone in the world. At just 1.5 ounces and 2.8 by 1.4 by 0.3 inches, the Modu is as tiny as it gets.

On its own, the Modu phone might not have a standard keypad, but it will still make calls. Put it into a ’sleeve’ or ‘jacket’ (which are essentially cases) and you can turn it into a multitude of different devices.

If, for example, you’re going out clubbing, you can pop it into a fashion sleeve with a fancy design. If you’re on a business trip and you need a phone with a Qwerty keypad and large screen, you just have to pop it into a ‘jacket’ with those features.

The idea is that when you buy the Modu phone, you’ll get a range of two or three sleeves with it and therefore you’re essentially getting three phones for the price of one.

(Source: Modu – The world's smallest cell phone - Newlaunches.com)
Attached Thumbnails
World's smallest Cellphone-60379.jpg  

World's smallest Cellphone-60380.jpg  

Old 27th March 2008, 11:09   #2

How the hell does this work??
Old 27th March 2008, 11:11   #3
BANNED

uh if this is smallest how small is the neonode 2 i think its smaller than this. plus it is way too cooler and has touchscreen all way and all this for just 16000 bux. this aint that great
Old 27th March 2008, 12:21   #4
Senior - BHPian

This one is not that bad either,looking nice and as small as a credit card.
ram
Old 27th March 2008, 14:59   #5
Senior - BHPian

Check this one out. I think also by samsung looks as small or smaller.
Attached Thumbnails
World's smallest Cellphone-dsc03806.jpg  

Old 27th March 2008, 15:09   #6
BHPian

Its actually an amazing concept. A modular mobile for which one can buy shells or "jackets" later (which are not exactly bare shells, and can transform the mobile functionality completely)
modu - make new connections
Old 27th March 2008, 15:21   #7
Team-BHP Support

This was featured in one of the TV channels on GSM world conference or something, but not very convenient for me, since i cant decide what sleeve to use at what time
Old 27th March 2008, 22:09   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
oh crap where did u find this phone, i am really looking to get one as a spare phone its rocking. imobile right. what was the price of what u saw. new or used. please let me know the place thnks a lot
Old 28th March 2008, 01:10   #9
BHPian

Yup saw it a while back on the tv show as well.
Old 8th April 2008, 00:29   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
That's from Haier. Its also known as Black pearl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
uh if this is smallest how small is the neonode 2 i think its smaller than this. plus it is way too cooler and has touchscreen all way and all this for just 16000 bux. this aint that great
Neonode is currently the smallest windows mobile phone. The one portrayed above is yet to be released. I have played with neonode N2. Check out crfmall n2 on youtube.
Old 8th April 2008, 01:48   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
oh crap where did u find this phone, i am really looking to get one as a spare phone its rocking. imobile right. what was the price of what u saw. new or used. please let me know the place thnks a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
That's from Haier. Its also known as Black pearl.
Jesal you got your answer. Thanks Devarshi84.

I saw this cell at the speed run and one of the bhpians had it. I cant remember who it was. Thats Sam's hand you see it in. I held it in my hand and could not help pressing two or three buttons at a time when trying to press one.
Old 10th April 2008, 01:23   #12
Senior - BHPian

I havent got rave reviews from customers for that piece. haier is still not a mobile phone player. I would suggest to stay away.
Old 19th July 2019, 09:34   #13
BHPian

Re: World's smallest Cellphone

I know I am going against the flow by waking up this thread in times when bigger is better and smarter is wiser. I want to know which is the present time smallest dual sim phone one can buy and from where?

If anyone is into such device please help me select one.

Its time to go off the grid.
Old 19th July 2019, 10:13   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visaster View Post
I know I am going against the flow by waking up this thread in times when bigger is better and smarter is wiser. I want to know which is the present time smallest dual sim phone one can buy and from where?

If anyone is into such device please help me select one.

Its time to go off the grid.
My favourite topic! It's great that you've realized the need to go off the grid at a time when people are expected to stay connected 24*7. I've tried this extensively over the past two years, and I still keep going off as and when I feel like it.

If you're absolutely set on a dial-sim phone, look no further than the Nokia 105 dual SIM. There's also the Philips E108 for 100 bucks cheaper.

However, I believe it's important to have a phone that can handle at least basic browsing for emergencies. You never know when you might have to Google bus timings, or look up the number of the nearest ambulance provider or the nearest garage in case of a breakdown and so on and so forth. For all that, plus the extra "class" that comes with it, I recommend an old BlackBerry. You might have one lying at home, or with an acquaintance. If not, you can get them for as cheap as 1k on OLX. I've been using my Curve 8520 and Curve 9220 for the past 10 years or so, and honestly, I need nothing more from a phone. I spent more than a year with any smartphones, and now I've slowly eased myself back into using an Android.

Here's an excellent article from a college student who went off the grid with the help of a BlackBerry.

All the best, man! You're going to love the experience of staying off the grid!
Old 19th July 2019, 12:53   #15
BHPian

Buy an Apple iPhone SE. You may not find it in stores - so buy it used. There won't be any compact phones in the future.

Most Viewed